No announcement yet.

Manifold - vegetative stage under a microscope - efficient growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Manifold - vegetative stage under a microscope - efficient growing

​ Okay, First things first! this is my first post on this forum and I am not writing my main language, so be patient with me and my writing mistakes.

Maybe I just start writing and try to somehow hit the topic somewhere:

I have 5'x5'x6.5' tent with dimmable 1000w hps and 2'x2'x5' tent with 250w hps. don't remember both exhaust fans cfm, trust me it is enough. +ofc carbon filters in both tents. edit: Never have tried MH bulb, someone tell me it is worth the money/ trouble to change?

My plan is to use big tent mostly for flowering and using Nebula's manifold method to 9 plants in final 3gal pots , in 60/40 coco coir + perlite (btw, can I do this with clay pebbles? local store never have perlite, so only ordering online) - I rly need answer to this one?

Was wondering can I use smaller tent for partial or even full veg for my main goal -efficient growing.

Smaller tent fits maximum pot size of 1.6 gal x 9, (if the final plan is to grow 9 in bigger tent) but I am pretty sure it is too small room for fully to build manifold in veg stage, so partial veg is fine or even if its just for making manifold base

also consider the final pot is only half bigger, of this pot size, so re-potting don't make sense at this case to me tbh... bonus: I think re-potting once is fun, clean and feeling efficient, if pots are small and no huge smelly plants yet and messy potting work.

How about 0.4 gal pots x 9? or something like that? feels way more efficient to re-pot in future to 3gal..?

^I have been thinking lot of this and feeling like, Its maybe better to have less plants and bigger pots so "I could make all 8 colas before moving into bigger tent" But, I think it is impossible because tent is so small for so many plants.^ -?

I am ashamed for not knowing how long it takes to build manifold (in vegetative stage), but I think it takes about 6-7 weeks?

Bonus2: when I am writing this and editing stuff here and there, getting feeling that this smaller tent is going to be for only baby plants and not going to save me no more than about 3 weeks of veg/ seedling time, what makes me kind of sad, but I get it. - its good or no?

Big and Long Question:
    How much each plant get into manifold building in this small tent with small pots? just manifold base (2 cola) or how many colas should I have when going to re-pot? edit: I did not consider about how much re-potting stress the plant and may affect as longer veg times? and back to main question: what is most efficient pot size at my situation in small tent ?
    • What is good amount of plants of each grow - how many weeks can I save and where with second tent ? *more later*

The thing is, for full grown, in big tent, I am ready to buy/move/and set growing medium maximum of 26 or 27gal, what is pain in the ass.
    +
    another thing.. I have DIY automated dripping system for max 12 plants, what makes me want to do lot of plants, because watering is soo easy! but I am willing to try bigger pots and less plants if that's the key...

*so here we are*
    I just write few scenario,

Think about what saves most of time:

- Doing 4 plants / run, vegging in 3 gal pots, in small tent. -ofc this is for more than 8 colas / plant only, dont even know how many for real?Re-potting each to 6.6 gal, when no more room in smaller tent and moving them up to big plant tent.
    and veg as much needed to make huge amount of colas and hitting lights on 12/12.

- Doing 9 plants / run, the amount I have been talking about. I think it is: max amount of plants into final flower tent - no more comments at this point

- more than 9 / run start to feel like SOG. So then, max the damn SOG, lets say 16-20 plants, in 3 gal pots for full tent.. but ofc this must have automated watering system. about 1 big cola / 1 plant ? and some hardcore guys go double of amount, with smaller pots.. but I think its max for me, haha.

--> I think the ideal / optimal amount of plants for me is somewhere between 4-9 / grow, I am sure only 1 way to find out, and help of yours ofc <3

And ofc the training style matters a lot, but I just fell in love to those colas I have seen here on journals

Bonus edit:
    Also I have powerful air pump, so doing 9x3 gal plants in DIY bubbler,(or even that sog) is really tempting to try later.. so no more heavy growing medium pick ups, but need to be builded up first... so I think its for future.
    AND the 3 gal pots I talk lot of about is just normal plastic buckets (not side pruning ofc, what I do miss about smart pots/fabric ones..) but most cheapest "container" around here for this job, and will go to use them for few next grows doing cocomix or hydro... Maybe after that, I give the bubblers a try (also having load of only coco nutrients, which I want to use asap)
    + is there anyway to seal holes on pots meant for cocomix grow? or just jump on fast lane and buy new ones... ofc I get the new ones, but going to store old pots somewhere for later use.

Mega Bonus edit: Well I have kind of all necessaries e.g. airstones and "tubings" for going bubblers/ meaning full hydro in my books. - if someone have experience on that field I'm all ears ?!?

This all writing, took me few days. Sorry for making it so long and I hope you get most of what I'm saying and meaning here and there, don't mind some writing mistakes and sry if I jump subject to subject. Also hoping to get some discussion about this or something, idk.

All yours,
    HC420​

Welcome, HC.
    Sounds like you have put a bit of thought into this.
    As long as you can manage the heat load that the 1kw emits, you should have plenty of light.
    I use led's, but I do know that people run HPS seed to flower-the only possible negative would be some increased node spacing from the extra red in the spectrum.

I normally grow my meds in my main room using RDWC, but I also use a 4x4 tent for pheno hunts.
    Because I'm just letting the plants veg long enough to get to about 6 nodes(about 2-3 weeks), top back to the 3rd node for a clone cutting and then flip those to flower to see what they are.
    Even though they are usually less than 6" tall when flipped, it's not uncommon for some of them to get to about 30" tall when finished.

I also run coco/perlite(hydroton should also help with aeration) in 3 gal fabric bags, but I use a 3x3 flood/drain tray using drain to waste.
    Honestly, even with virtually no veg time, I'd have a hard time fitting more than 5 plants in a 4x4.
    SOG running as many plants as you described would only work if you did single top plants-a single main cola.
    I normally allow 3-4 nodes to grow and then top.
    6-8 main branches is the max I've found to get best yield.
    Last edited by gbauto; 12-19-2020, 12:40 AM.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

That’s a lot to take in so here’s what I know from my own experience.

I grow in soil so I went back and checked my grow logs for you and my manifolds are normally formed within 5wks of sprout. From there it’s just maintaining a even canopy while they grow.

I’ve also been growing perpetually lately and the size of your veg tent will dictate the number of plants you flower unless your veg snd flower tents are the same size. Plants don’t always finish on the schedule you predicted so you shouldn’t max out your veg tent so there’s room for growth.

With the setup you’re suggesting I don’t think you’d get the benefit of a manifold bc your plants will be too crowded with no space to spread out. May be best to run a SOG with short veg time and only top once🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcore420
        gbauto
        Hello,
        Exhaust fan runs max 500m3/h, its been good so far.. But when hot summer hits, lucky me it is dimmable, so running only 60%-80% etc..
        indeed I have those long node spaces from that red spectrum, but maybe soon getting MH bulb too.

Do you mean, you "usually" top only once when 6 nodes and no more topping?... or do I not get something here
        Cuz the plants in photos, were topped at least 2-3 times?

And damn those are beautiful plants/colas, especially that purple one

If you top at the 3rd node, leaving the lower tertiary branches, it'll have 6 tops.
        I then use a second trellis to weave the branches that develop from those tops.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X