Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for "garden soil", cuz I didn't do so well last season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Suggestions for "garden soil", cuz I didn't do so well last season.

Any of you outdoor peeps help me out, I'd appreciate it.

So Cal, and adding to a sandy soil. Fill lot so yeah, it's mostly compacted sand.

Last year I used the Miracle Gro slow release stuff I just dug it into the sand and transplanted. While it worked out okay, I think it could have been a lot better.

I've been looking at stuff like Gromulch. Apparently "garden soil" is different than "potting soil" which I used last time.

I'll continue to browse thru the knowledge base, but it's so much information to brain. Also, it's a small space so there's really no way to compost and such that I should. It's gotta be something buyable ATM sadly.

TY in advance
    Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Hi: I just started using Fox Farm Happy Frog soil which is widely available. It cut the veg time in half from 2 months with Pro Mix to 1month with Happy Frog. Got nice buds which were trichome covered and sticky, and I did not add other nutrients. Which ever way you grow this soil is a good choice over generic potting or garden soil. I got mine from the local grow shop but it is available online too (Amazon).

Comment

That California sand is a treasure. It really aids in drainage. If you're growing in the ground, mix the planting area well with compost and something like a good tomato potting mix. I like to dig down several inches and add some whole mackerel or other oily fish and cover it with soil. As the roots grow down this gives the plants a really rich source of nitrogen as they mature..

Comment

I currently use containers but if growing in the ground, I'd dig holes at least 2-3 ft in diameter and 2-3 ft. deep. If prepping the holes soon/winter, first mix 1-2 bags of Happy Frog, 1-2 bags of Ocean Forest mix, 1/2 bag of Stutzman Farms Sup'R Green composted chicken manure (3-2-2). to some of the sandy soil from the hole into a large trash can. Add about 2-4 inches of the mix to the bottom of the hole. Split open 2 large plastic trash bags so they make long strips. Punch many holes in the plastic for drainage/aeration. Lay the strips across, and line the holes to make a plus sign/cross, fill with about 2 inches of gravel, then fill hole with the soil mix. This will help hold the water in your mix, and will allow for drainage at the bottom of the hole. Since it can get very hot in So. Cal., the surrounding sandy soil will suck the water from your holes. The coming "mild winter rains" should get that stuff working good, and in early spring you can transplant your 2-3 ft. gals right into the mix. When the bottom roots hit the gravel, they'll continue down into the wet soil under the plastic liners. The bigger the holes, the bigger the plants! Or just Roto-till the whole area and replace/amend the existing soil with the same mix, to a depth of 3-6 ft. if you can afford it! Cover the top of the hole with some homemade compost.

Notes:
        1. For the adventurous, holes that you can stand in and hold your arms extended out (6' x 6'), should put out 15-20 footers. (see pic).

2. This is only a basic mix, feel free to add Greensand, Blood & Bone Meal, Rock Phosphate, Bat Guano, Worm Castings, homemade compost etc. in appropriate quantities, as you like!

3. For areas where drainage is an issue, omit the plastic liners, you don't want root rot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A large.png
Views:	117
Size:	827.2 KB
ID:	475214
        Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Even with the blur i get your soil plans. I did the same way way back when i could. Man them were the days

• Floopydoop
          Floopydoop commented
          Editing a comment
          I got schwetty just transplanting the seedlings, moved the shovel like 6 times. A 6x6 hole made me giggle.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X