Another New Member and 1st Grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another New Member and 1st Grow

In September I setup my tent and got four Pennywise clones from Trail Blazin’ Productions, a grower in Bellingham WA. I put them in the tent on 01 October 2020. I’ve made so MANY mistakes in the past two months, one by one fixing them. Info online is all over the place. I finally found GWE and settled on it as my go to info. This site is so informative! I like how you present the “easy” technique with links throughout the instructions to more detailed or advanced technique options.

Now that the plants have finally gotten a stable environment and plenty of nutrients (including NLS compost tea), they are looking beautiful even though the many traumas stunted their growth in the beginning. Two are more evenly shaped with and more vigorous.

Soil and Nutrients
    Black Gold Organic Soil, amended with Original Nature’s Living Soil
    Compost tea using NLS, molasses and Seaweed Bliss Dried Kelp Extract
    I switched from plain organic potting soil to the Nature’s Living Soil recipe when I transplanted from 3 gal fabric pots to 7 gallon.

Flipped to 12/12 on 01 Jan 2021
    Switch to the new NLS Girl Flower Power
    Flowering Stage

——————————————————
    ——————————————————

Grow Setup
    5’ x 5’ x 8’ Gorilla Grow Tent, original
    Spider Farmer SF4000
    AC Infinity 8” TS Fan and Carbon Filter
    750w Radiator oil-filled, Inkbird controlled
    1500w Milkhouse Heater, Inkbird controlled
    Four 3’x4’ 1/2” thick farm stall mats on cold concrete under tent
    8” oscillating floor fan
    6” clip-on fan, up high
    7 gallon fabric pots
    10” x 2” metal risers
    16” saucers
    30 gallon white food-grade water barrel, gravity fed to 10’ hose and wand

Environment Dialed In
    Most, but not all, of my issues were with trying to dial in my tent environment in an unheated, uninsulated metal shop. We went from 90F and higher to below 30F temperatures in late October and I scrambled to fix the issues during November. This February we are getting temps into the 20s. Temperatures can plummet 20-30 degrees between day and night and my tent is maintaining mid 70s.
    I struggled for nearly 2 months to get a working system and my plants were shocked and stunted. Before I got the milkhouse heater, temps plummeted and I was afraid I would loose them, they looked terrible.

Settings
    AC Infinity T8 fan and carbon filter maintains consistent environment when things get too high. I know thats not what these fan are for but it works awesome.
    • HT = 86
    • LT = off
    • HH = 51%
    • LH = off
    750w oil filled radiator with Inkbird temp controller
    • Maintains the main temp without drying out the air.
    • sits in front of the only air inlet window I have partially open. This allows the cold air to be heated as it enters the tent.
    • I set the temp between 75-80 depending on temps outside.
    1500w milkhouse heater with Inkbird temp controller
    • Maintains lowest temp and can quickly prevent too low of temp from happening.
    • sits right next to the radiator in one corner
    • I set temps between 69-73 depending on temps outside.
    Floor oscillating fan
    • blows air around heaters and plants.
    • sits on the other side of the radiator in other corner
    Upper clip on fan
    • Blows heat downwards

The two Ink-bird controllers, ACI controller’s sensors and a Govee Bluetooth hygrometer all hang banded together above the canopy.
    RH is usually not a problem here in the great north-WET, but on occasion when it drops low I either water or place some in the saucers to evaporate and that puts it right.

Believe me this was not planned from the start and many were a “scramble too” situation. But it all works great now.
    Now the next grow that will run into summer will be a new situation. LOL
    Last edited by MrPNW; 02-15-2021, 01:25 PM.

Equipment
    5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    1st Grow
    Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
    Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Welcome to the forum! Plants looking healthy. Good thing is it takes a lot to really f’up marijuana in veg. It’ll delay your grow but won’t matter for shit as long as they’re healthy when you flip to flower. Judging by your setup you made a commitment! No better site to get you through all those future grows 😉

Comment

Welcome, MrPNW. Lots of work you’ve put into it already will pay off soon enough.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        YYCannabis your sig caught my eye.
        I’m 61 and was hit from behind 21 years ago this month. I was stopped and he was going 50mph. I have low back pain and sciatic down legs.
        Then in 2018 a semi tractor trailer decided he wanted in my lane. Tore off my truck, slammed into my drivers side (me staring at the grill) then sent my front end pounding into every set off wheels until I was grinding under the last set at the end. A State Trooper saw it all and said I’m the luckiest man he’d ever seen. Am I? Now my neck is messed up after months of PTSD. Pain head to heel now.
        Oh yeah there’s more, 6 months later I’m driving to work on a dark January morning in pouring rain and a giant fir tree decides to stopped me dead in my tracks. Another Trooper said I was literally a second from death. Yaaay, I’m alive.

Just curious what strains work best for you?

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        YYCannabis a little tap on your shoulder for MrPNW

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        @JohnEmad...thanks for the poke. I missed this one.

MrP...first off....you’re one damn lucky fella with both those incidents. I was a mortician for many years and saw people die from simple broken bones or small injuries.. Secondly....remind me never to drive anywhere with you. 😂

For most of my pain issues i started growing a CBD plant that i think was called “freedom Dream” or something like that. When i had a prescription, i was buying mostly CBD strains for pain...then discovered the 50/50 strains that had 5% CBD and 5-7% THC from the medical suppliers and gave it a shot. Didn’t like it...something about the terps in it that gave me bad headaches.
        Honestly, if you grow a CBD strain, it can be real blessing.

Man o man your doing great compared to me when I started like 8 years ago. I have so many horror stories. Most your plants look healthy I would toss the sad one in the corner out IMO, just less risk of it spreading a disease to others. Welcome and good luck.

seriously for a first time this looks good and also glad you have been fixing your mistakes means your learning.

Comment

Welcome sir. I am a PNW person as well, nice to have ya hear. Glad you were able to control the swings in the shed, that is hard to deal with but once you have it dialed, your plants will recover and take off. Enjoy the journey

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe0420 View Post
          Most your plants look healthy I would toss the sad one in the corner out IMO, just less risk of it spreading a disease to others.
          LOL that’s my wife’s basil plant. She is the killer of a things flora. I told her I would try to save it. It was in the kitchen window all summer. I recently removed it from its root bound tiny pot and put it into 3 gallons of living soil. It’s had one compost tea treatment and has already started sending out new leaves on top the yellow ones.

Something weird about it. The first photo was the day I took it to the tent. The second was a couple days after. It sprung up looking somewhat better, then all the leaves yellowed further and drooped, slowly dying. I thought it a goner. Then recently in all the middles of the drooping yellow leaves new little greener ones started coming out. It still hasn’t grown any other leaves on the stalks.
          i think it must have kicked into root growing mode and left those old yellow leaves behind for a while. Now its back to leaf growing.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MrPNW; 12-11-2020, 02:38 AM.

Equipment
          1st Grow
          Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• Wolfe0420
            Wolfe0420 commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha that’s hilarious. I wasn’t sure what exactly it was but I knew it didn’t look healthy. I’ve had diseases in the past so I’m paranoid and I pull all my yellow or discoloured leaves off. I’m happy for the basil plant making a recovery,
            Happy wife happy life!. Good luck with your grow and your basil plant.

Originally posted by ChadWestport View Post
          Welcome sir. I am a PNW person as well, nice to have ya hear. Glad you were able to control the swings in the shed, that is hard to deal with but once you have it dialed, your plants will recover and take off. Enjoy the journey
          Thank you, I took it one issue at a time, patiently not overreacting and researching on GWE until I figured it out. When I first started I thought I’d be harvesting in 3-4 months, but now I’ve switched gears and have been using these 4 plants as experimental. I’m rather enjoying this. I told Richard from NLS that I’ve never cared so much about a plant in all my 60 years.

Equipment
          1st Grow

Comment

Hello from So. Oregon MrPNW
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Hi from Canada Happy growing !! We are here if you need help..!!
              Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
              Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
              Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
              Full auto grow
              Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
              12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• YYCannabis
                YYCannabis commented
                Editing a comment
                There’s a few of us Canuckleheads in here 😁

• MrPNW
                MrPNW commented
                Editing a comment
                Any of you Canadian friends watch Mr. Canucks channel on YouTube? He’s got some great Amazon discount codes in his equipment list. I found his channel just after I bought my AC Infinity, ugh, but many have saved a bunch of cash.

• bboyfromwayback
                bboyfromwayback commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m not Canadian but I’ve watch Mr Canucks a few times. He has a lot of great auto grows using live soil

Well I’m Canadian and this is the first I’m hearing of this. Once I get back from hunting beavers I’m going to type it into YouTube.

thanks MrPNW for the info

Comment

• Canuck147
                Canuck147 commented
                Editing a comment
                Which bar do you hunt for beavers in?

• Wolfe0420
                Wolfe0420 commented
                Editing a comment
                Usually one I haven’t caught one before. Beavers like to talk to each other. I have a really nice Igloo I bring them too. My pick up line is usually “let’s do the dam thang”

• Canuck147
                Canuck147 commented
                Editing a comment
                My favorite line - "wrestle ya bare naked for a dollar."

Have u ever won?

Comment

" which bar do you hunt beavers in?" LOL
                Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                indoor/outdoor grower
                1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe0420 View Post
                  Well I’m Canadian and this is the first I’m hearing of this. Once I get back from hunting beavers I’m going to type it into YouTube.

thanks MrPNW for the info
                  A common affliction often called "beaver fever" as a result of being in certain watering holes...lol.

Comment

• Wolfe0420
                    Wolfe0420 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ha ha Beaver Fever was our softball team name this year.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X