Foxtailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Foxtailing

Hi all, one of my Fat banana plants seems to have had an explosion of foxtailing in the last 24hrs or so i think it was caused by temps hitting 34c few days ago. i have been opening up the tent during lights but we've also been using the heating a lot more due to a drop in outside temps. This has caused an occasional spike in temps recently so pretty sure that's the reason for the foxtailing I'm getting. I have signs of it on my other fat banana plant but no where near the scale i seem to have it on the tall one. The one fat banana with the least foxtailing will be getting harvested in the next day or 2 so although its a little disappointing to see it at this stage of the grow i'm not too bothered by it. The other one on the other hand I'm a little concerned with as she won't be ready for about another 4-5 days. The buds are dense but now with the foxtailing it feels much looser on the outer bud with a lot more white hairs than i had previously (was about 75% brown before). Am i better off harvesting it a little early now or should i just let it go and what will be will be? Any suggestions on what is best to do would be appreciated. To me the buds look ugly now and have lost there neat and tidy conical look that they had. I've included a couple of pics of the plant in question. Trichomes are about 95% cloudy and a small amount of amber but does still have the odd clear one.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by buds73; 12-05-2020, 02:53 PM. Reason: added Trichome info
    3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
    Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
    Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
    Couple of fans for airflow
    First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
    Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
    Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

I say wait a few days. But that's me, I look for potency not beauty Good luck my dear grower.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• buds73
      buds73 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you potency over beauty for me too I'm just a little disappointed when I've gotten this close to the finish line. Can foxtailing reduce potency? I'm sure i've read somewhere that it can unless it's a genetic foxtailing.

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure but I believe there are some articles on the web about it.

• buds73
      buds73 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll do a little research into it after i harvest. I start looking now I'll probably find other things to worry about lol

buds73 all I can say is my NLxBB was MUCH worse and I’m sitting here after smoking a small amount and I’m F#$&ED UP.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too, I've seen many plants start foxtailing, a whole lot worse than yours, that was caused by to much heat ,real sudden like, overnight, but they were still great smoke, when harvested at the right time.
      I let one auto go way longer ,on purpose just to see what would happened, mind you she was already 20-30percent amber, and in one week, she was foxtail city, even when the temps were adjusted back normal, foxtails all the way from the buds on the bottom of the plant to the tip top buds, really wild looking, lol
      But she smoked good to, foxtails and all.
      You are super close to harvest, I wouldn't do a thing ,if mine, but let her get the trichs the way you like them, then harvest her.

• buds73
      buds73 commented
      Editing a comment
      Xena Thats good to know.
      D.A.A.S.69 I think it was the speed at which it came on that surprised me one day nothing following day foxtails half a cm to 1cm or so long.

Seems to be a common trait towards the end of harvest for some strains. Every time I grow something with GG in it I get some foxtails the last week and my flower tent rarely goes above 80 degrees and never over 82.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right, Bboy, plenty of different autos will start showing foxtails when
      the temps get over 80degrees, they
      just dont like heat ,imo, an i see folks on here that says their grow tents get over 90degrees, with no foxtails, they dont show their plants though,lol,
      Imo, autos don't like heat. Especially over
      82 to 86degrees,when flowering.
      Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 12-06-2020, 10:41 AM.

I've had some foxtailing before brought on by heat. No impact on the final product. Just go by the trichs and take em when you're ready.
    Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. I'm going to let her carry on and finish up. The foxtailing seems to have stopped just as suddenly as it started and doesn't seem to be growing any more than it had and some of the hairs are turned/turning brown already which was something else I didn't expect so it all adds to the learning experience.

Comment

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        Aside from some wonky calyx formation, foxtailing has never caused me any detriment.
        Looks like you have a bit to go so I look forward to seeing how they finish.

gbauto Yeah she looks to have a long way to go when looking at her. She was mostly brown hairs before the foxtailing started and now the buds look immature but the trichomes say otherwise Which is causing me a bit of a dilemma. I'm going to harvest my other 2 plants tomorrow and i'm thinking of harvesting this one as well at the same time. I've held off a couple of days on the others with the hope of doing them all in one go. The plant in this post has still had a little foxtailing going on and has some white hairs but the trichomes are looking how i want them now.
      Should i harvest her regardless of the fact she has some white hairs or just leave her and hope that the white hairs brown up and I get no more foxtailing with additional white hairs? as i say the trichomes are how i want and may even have a little more amber than the other 2 which i find a little strange considering she was a little behind.
      Last edited by buds73; 12-11-2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        Unless you just want to reset the tent and need the space, I wouldn't cut her yet.
        I'd suspect that you'll get quite a bit more calyx development if you give them more time.

When I had my first grow, I had 2 or 3 plants (out of 4) that fox tailed like crazy. Seems like the foxtails put out new white hairs constantly. It was misleading when trying to find the right time to harvest. Thank goodness for the fine people here that helped, or I would still have that plant growing while waiting for the hairs to all turn brown. 😂
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X