Soaking for germination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soaking for germination

Also , after soaking a seed in water for 12hrs , should it float or sink and does it really matter?
    Maybe after a 12hr soak it does absorb some moisture and it sinks naturally? Thanks again

12 hours may not be enuf for all seed, depends on how dry they are inside. After being in water for a few hours I tap the seeds to try to make them sink, when they sink they are ready, but it may be 48 hours.

Comment

I agree with Rwise, it depends on the seed. Keep an eye on them, some seeds will split open overnight while others may take a day or two. I started using the tiny water bottles, I think they’re 8oz maybe. Bought a case and just reuse them. One seed per bottle 1/4 full. Pour it right into my medium, no contact at all

Comment

I soak till they sink, usually 12+ hours. If they still floating in the morning, I give the jar a tap, and they usually sink then.
        Use old weed jars with lids. Works like a charm.

Comment

Imbibition or the uptake of water through a permeable membrane (seed coat) is the first stage of germination. As you see above, different methods are reported with great success. Know this, soaking comes with perils, less soaking time decreases those. No soaking time eliminates them. If I cannot help a grower, I will not hinder them.
          Last edited by quirk; 12-02-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
            AccidentalGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            yep only want to soak them until they are waterlogged, not really cracked open. That's too long. Already drowning.

I usually leave it from 14-18 hrs but no more in the glass, most will sink but sometime some will float. I gently tap on the floating ones and 99% of the time they will sink at the bottom of the glass. I just finish 3 days ago with 24 beans and only 2 were floating. I did the "tap" and the 2 sank.
          Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
          Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
          Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
          Full auto grow
          Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
          12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

I use the tried and true from the dark ages. Damp paper towel in a ziploc baggie in a dark spot. Couple days is usually all it takes to get a root. Good Luck!
            Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

My usual routine is soaking the beans in a shot glass overnight.
              Then they are dumped onto a paper towel(seeds and water from the shot glass) and that is placed in a sealed Tupperware bowl.
              I will normally get the beans to sprout in a few days and then into a rapid rooter.
              WHAT???
              5x5 grow space
              900w of Vero's and F-strips
              4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

It doesn't matter if they sink or float ,they will do one or the other, if the seed is good,
                way I do mine is drop them in a cup of water, for 18-24hours, to so call wake them up, some by that time already have split open a little, some have not split by that time.
                But they go directly into their pots anyway, an in a couple of 2-3days ,they come up.
                Cfls for a week or two
                315lec for everything else
                Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

• Xena
                  Xena commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s how I did mine this time. Dropped in shot glass just after midnight Monday morning and then right into final pots Monday night and kept damp and one was up last night and the other up today.

• D.A.A.S.69
                  D.A.A.S.69 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, no stress that way Xena, they might not grow as fast that way, in their final pots,,,then if in Dixie cups, but they still get on with the program, if not overwatered..
                  GoodLuck
                  HappyGrowing

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X