What 's the true wattage for a 1200 watt LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What 's the true wattage for a 1200 watt LED

I'm still skeptical only because I am a first timer. Doesn't draw 1200 ? So what does it really put out ? How can I compare ? Sooooo much conflicting info out there. Any wizardy ?
    2-4X4 tents, 1200 WATT LED'S in Promix Organic with worm castings , vermiculite, and bone meal with Island Nutes and 7 gal grow pots

Depends on the model. Easy to find that specific info online. I have a Mars1200 LED still in the box somewhere. I think it draws a little over 600w if I remember right.
    To be honest that whole system that has developed with LEDs of basically lying about the wattage is totally ridiculous and confusing, and it sucks that its gone down this road as far as it has.

If it draws 1200 watts then it's a 1200 watt light. If it draws 600 watts- well guess what, it's a 600 watt light. Now there seem to be new growers all over the place who don't realize that there's even a difference.

Little rant over now...

Comment

• bobsakamoto
      bobsakamoto commented
      Editing a comment
      not a rant, keepin' it 100 per usual...oh if only there were an affordable PAR meter. sigh.

That's one of the challenges of shopping led lamps. Sounds like the manufacturer is basing the power rating on the product of the number of lamps and the maximum power the led can dissipate before failure. Problem is that the efficiency falls drastically when the lamp is driven that hard so most of the economy lamps run 25-35% of rated power. This increases efficiency without sacrificing to much light energy and increases longevity. I have a generic King 1200w that uses 200-6w chips and it pulls about 275w.

Just as an idea-if you are inclined to constructing your own led system you can get much more for the $ spent. After I'm finished with this years grow I'm building a custom COB system that is equivalent to 2 of the systems I use now but consumes the amount of energy I use currently. To be honest-if heat and added energy $ wasn't a factor I would use the MH/HPS route.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

As far as how to compare- it's complicated.
      What matters most in the end is not the wattage. It's both the amount of light that reaches the plant, and the quality of that light.
      I won't try to summarize all of it- because I'm not an expert on it, and because many other people, who are, have summarized it better than I ever could.
      Here's an article about the issue, grabbed semi-randomly using google.

When it comes to how to compare grow lights, it's important to understand the basics and the common terminology. Here are five tips to start your research.

Comment

Weasel I think you nailed it! If only we could truly measure the lumens and quality of light without spending 500.00 beans.
        Thanks for the input everyone . Love this group !
        2-4X4 tents, 1200 WATT LED'S in Promix Organic with worm castings , vermiculite, and bone meal with Island Nutes and 7 gal grow pots

Comment

gbauto I am with you also. I just don't have your energy. Cant I plug and play Please !!!!!

Comment

Weasel that was a great link ! Thank you !!

Comment

Hey Bobsakamoto. I'm on the hunt to either find an affordable meter or another solution to en-lighten us on lumenville. I will share my findings !
              Cheers

Comment

• bobsakamoto
                bobsakamoto commented
                Editing a comment
                i've been tinkering with doing my own with some ideas and modifications i found on an aquarium forum....search forum for diy par meter thread and you'll see what i'm tryna get up to...

• bobsakamoto
                bobsakamoto commented
                Editing a comment
                doh....had title wrong....here it is http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...tead-of-lumens

in fact if anyone knows how to get hold of NebulaHaze i tried to PM her about it bc i know she is very interested in measuring PAR and i think i might be pretty close to being done w/the prototype and i had some questions and wanted to give her the first real "working" model (if i'm lucky and it becomes such a thing!!)

• NebulaHaze
                NebulaHaze commented
                Editing a comment
                For some reason I didn't get your PM! I'm definitely interested!

Very Cool bobsakamoto. Beyond my skill set. I will be paying attention please keep us posted .
              Cheers

Comment

well unfortunately i'm kinda at a stand still until i can get some more information...and what i'm doing isn't all that technical, actually...just modifying slightly, using light filters, an existing product..the cheap blue lux meter on amazon.
                "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X