Light power measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Light power measurements

How do I compare lights? I'm looking at CFL, Halogen, and LED for a space bucket and would like to get as much light as possible using standard E27 sockets. Do I look at wattage or lumens when comparing lights because, for example, the LEDs specs always say something like 9w but replaces a 60w normal bulb. Should I be adding up the lumens instead? If so, how many lumens do I need for a one plant space bucket?

Also what about spectrum? The lights I'm looking at are measured in kelvin (eg 4000 k). What spectrum range (in K) is optimal and would lights outside of that range be a waste of money?

Finally, in terms of heat generated, is there a way to tell how much heat each type of light puts out?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by crackpothead; 11-26-2020, 02:34 AM.

Hi there, as you are finding out lighting, is a big deal. There are no simple answers and there's a bunch to learn.

Here are a couple of links that will give you a good start answering your questions:

https://www.migrolight.com/whats-the...ue-grow-light/ --Great reviews & advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID9rE5JewVg --Dr. Bruce Bugbee guru of lighting science

https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow...r-test-review/ --The best hands on testing, here, they review a new state of the art LED light.

Happy hunting,

-Grouchy
    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Use led household bulbs. As many as you can fit, higher color temperature if you can, the 2700 and 3000k put out less light per watt than 5000 or 6500k

Comment

They have e27 led grow lights at walmart for really cheap.
        4x4 w/ Mars hydro fc-e4800
        1x Slapz
        1x Quikz
        2x red runtz
        1x flo-see
        1x 2B blunt
        1x persian pie

Comment

I think the best bang for the buck trying to use a conventional socket lamp would be led light bulbs.
          Remove the diffuser cover to expose the leds.
          Of the 3 choices you mentioned, the leds should be almost 50% more efficient at converting watts of electricity into photons of light.
          Use the actual power draw to determine how many lights you'll need to adequately light your space.
          Because the diodes used in screw-in bulbs are typically mid-grade as far as efficiency, I'd shoot for at least 40 watts/ sq ft of canopy.
          I use 3500k for full cycle runs.
          Higher k ratings offer more blue in the spectrum and can help to reduce internodal spacing(more red can increase the distance).
          Heat is a function of the amount of energy you introduce into the space.
          Watts are watts, so more power equals more heat.
          That's another advantage of using led's, they can generate the same amount of light with less power.

WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Wow thanks guys. I don't I lived in North America so no walmarts here. I will check out the links. I'm thinking of using the lights as a heat source (please see my other post for my situation) so I actually would like a little 'spillage' of energy to keep the plants warm. I'll delve into more research. Cheers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X