Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan leaves with thricomes - Should I cut’em off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan leaves with thricomes - Should I cut’em off?

Hey folks. Hope you’re well.

So, these top fan leaves grow fast and I’ve been removing them (weekly I’d say) since they’re great shadow makers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FA30CF94-F457-4A29-AA95-C16FF53BB416.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	466380

But now they‘re bringing some beautiful thricomes together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20CE81F1-0D24-4266-8C19-B1BC724F7D32.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	466379

What do you think? Should I cut’em off? Or keep? 🧐🤔

Cheers,

ZenArcher

Grower’s choice but I would leave them on. Even if they are blocking light, it’s not that big of a deal. Nice to have that sparkle, good luck!
    Organic, coco & soil, 240w LED, 3 gallon fabric pots, basement grow in tent.

Comment

To snip or not to snip that is the question. Cheeba said it best, growers choice. Taking those leaves or leaving them on is part of one of the great debates I've seen since I've been on this sight. There are strong proponents on each side.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• TheZenArcher
      TheZenArcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep Cheeba, since there is use for the leaves also there's no right or wrong. I think it depends of one's goals in the end. Thx!

I would leave them on they don't seem to block out much being long skinny sativa looks like. I love the sugar on the leaf i just trim them but leave alot left when they are so frosty. It's a choice but i love and use the whole plant from baking to composting. Personnel choice
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• TheZenArcher
      TheZenArcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep SoOrbudgal, I'll keep trimming freestyle. Testing and learning. Thx!

As a new grower, defoliation has been the toughest part to understand what should be done. Many websites warn newbies to proceed cautiously. I am in week 7 of flower and only removed several fan leaves which were blocking bud sites on the top of my SCROG. I have about 60 bud sites at the top of my 2 x 4 canopy. However, I see a lot of buds 4 to 8 inches below the canopy that could benefit from more light. I’m thinking I should have defoliated more, but all the advice about proceeding carefully convinced me not to. I would love to get a better understanding of this topic before my next grow.

Comment

• TheZenArcher
      TheZenArcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree that it's a critical learning, RetiredGuy. It can fuck up a plant, or give it a boost, while is a delicate thing to do. 1st time I did it, I thought I had killed the plant. But she responded very well. I want to know more about this during the veg phase. Thx!

I find that when the fan leafs have trichomes they tend to cover the leaf close to the stem. I often clip the tip or a little more to allow light to get to the lower parts of the cola while retaining the trichome covered part of leaf for making hash. This also stops the leaf from growing so they don't get longer or wider. I also trim them if they are getting to close to another cola since I seen on my first grow that a leaf brushing the pistils of a bud fucks them up affecting it's growth. What a Beautiful grow.

Comment

• TheZenArcher
      TheZenArcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Poppa, nice advice. Nice. I'll try this. Thx!

if your curious as to how it effects growth in your setup, or bud quality, pick a cola and cut some off, pick one and cut most off. See how the different manicures or lack of effect similar colas in your grow. Definitely growers choice. If you make oil or hash, save the leaves and add to trim bag if you decide to take them out. Nice flowers 🙂
    I bet Bob Marley's mansion
    has a garden in the back
    Where he's growing something special
    Some celestial homemade hash
    we'll sit down on his front porch
    And listen to the angels band
    Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

• TheZenArcher
      TheZenArcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Woodsman67, thx mate. It's a possibility. Can I just keep / store the leaves? For how long?

• Woodsman67
      Woodsman67 commented
      Editing a comment
      Drying then storing inside a freezer bag until the harvest trim is dried would be no big deal. Personally, any leaf I can clearly see a stem on the flower, I cut. Leaves that are buried into the flowers, i leave until harvest. In my young and impatient days I smoked those leaves while waiting for flowers lol. Cheers!

• TheZenArcher
      TheZenArcher commented
      Editing a comment
      hehe yes, it's a temptation for those days of no patience. hehe

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X