A mutation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mutation

Buddy has an interesting plant. One among others. Growing conditions are exactly the same. Veg time is the same. Bushiness and height and junk are the same as the other plants. It's not a pest or other biological issue or all the plants would have it. It's either White LSD or Neville's Haze. All the other information is moot.

This one plant has grown these leaves at the top of the plant since it was a youngster. Looking from the back side of a leaf, the light green areas show as spots when held to the sun. Out of the sun, the leaf back looks like a regular leaf. A handful of inches down, the leaves have almost grown out of the spots. Past that, the leaves are all green. Since the pictures loaded exactly backwards of my description, which was written first, and I don't know how to juggle them around, you'll have to use your imagination.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Yes I have seen this before. The leaves just can't make chlorophyll in those areas. It is a form of variegation, which is indeed a mutation. Some people will attribute them to a virus, but I'm not sure that it is always related to a virus.

Comment

• PLreef
      PLreef commented
      Editing a comment
      Chlorophyll..... more like boreaphyll..... sorry Adam Sandler movie reference.

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      hahaha, I knew the reference even before I finished the sentence. Got the visual too Thats awesome.

ChadWestport I'm only familiar with variegation being through-and-through. This only appears on the top sides of the leaves. And it goes away. Absolutely no signs on lower leaves. This doesn't seem like something that would go away. Like, necrosis.

More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

That is odd that it would go away. Seems like the phytochrome in the leaves may be repairing itself?

I want to think of environmental conditions as a possible suspect, but you said it is only one plant in the group, so that sways me back to it being a genetic issue.

Comment

I have to go with genetic because I'm not going to look up 'phytochrome' except I know it has to do with color. Other than the spots, it's a good plant. Maybe something magical is going to happen with the buds.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X