Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever stored seeds in the freezer? What have you learned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever stored seeds in the freezer? What have you learned?

I need to store some seeds for long storage and the freezer is my best bet probably. Why? Because there are way too many temperature and moisture fluctuations in my house and fridge. The most stable, reliable place is my chest deep freezer, way at the bottom under a bunch of other things. The seeds have been professionally dried. The freezer's at -18 Celcius (aka -0.4 F). The seeds are in an airtight mason jar container with dessicant. Each strain's seeds are together in little zip lock bags. The dessicant is in the mason jar, which contains little zip lock bags of seeds.

At the moment, seeds are on a shelf. Haven't put in freezer yet.

Anyhow, what are your freezer storage experiences and what have you learned?

I would be afraid of freezer burn, I'm watching this thread.

Comment

• MaxR
      MaxR commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd use a dessicant to prevent freezer burn.

my first grow was bag seed that had been in the freezer for about 10 years...3 our of 7 germinated..but, again, they were bag seeds from `2007. i keep my seeds the i paid for in small paper envelopes in a mason jar in my basement.

Comment

I keep mine sealed up in the butter bin in my fridge.
      Stays at 42 degF and minimal humidity changes.
      I just popped a Seedsman Jack Herrer that was at least 3 years old.
      It was a freebie, so it was probably older than that.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Thanks for the input so far. Also: bump!

Comment

I have had seeds in the fridge for about four years in the little black film canisters They were just in the doorway of the fridge and the ones I have used sprouted and grew as normal. Freezing May not be necessary.

Comment

I stored mine in a vacuum seal bag in a cold and dark room. Never had an issue with older seeds. Oh yes I put rices in my bag to absorb moisture.
            Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
            Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
            Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
            Full auto grow
            Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
            12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

I haven't done it but see no reason why it wouldn't be okay. Hell just look at the doomsday seed banks they are built into what was once thought to be permanently frozen rock.

Comment

• MaxR
                MaxR commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, right? That's what my landscape architect friend said as well. I thought I'd explore further on this forum to make sure I'm not making a mistake by choosing freezing &/or to sidestep common mistakes in using the freezer for storage.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X