Root rot? Or dyed roots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Root rot? Or dyed roots?

Hello. I’m writing to ask the community to comment on my roots. IE specifically if I have root rot and how they would fix with a sterile res. This is my second grow and first dwc. I wish I would have taken pictures sooner than I did to see if the dark spots were growing. But I didn’t so this is what I have.
    my buckets are always between 18-22°C. I’m Canadian(≈66-72°f). I do res changes every week. Past week and a half I’ve been adding 2ml/gal of 29% h202 during res changes and every 3 days. The dark spots don’t seem slimy. The buckets don’t stink. The roots don’t fall apart when I touch them. And as you can see all new growth looks healthy.
    Earlier on (week 3 veg) I convinced myself that it was dyed roots from nutrients. But since my last res change the dark spots look almost black. The dark areas seem to be at the top of the water level in the buckets.
    I’d like to keep a sterile res this grow, but I’ve accepted if beneficial bacteria (bennies) is the solution I’d give it a try and convert next grow (unless absolutely necessary this grow). I have done extensive research on the web and on this site in regards to root rot and still am uncertain if I have it. Take a look. Tell me what you think. Remember I’m a newb and prefer a sterile res.
    thanks to all who comment

Your plants look nice an healthy, to me, doesn't look like any root rot I've seen on here, if it is must be just starting.
    I don't do hydro, but I've seen rot before, especially if yours doesn't smell or is slimy.
    Somebody does hydro will be on here in a few to help you much better.
    Nice plants.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

2ml/gal of 29% h202 Hydrogen Peroxide ? If so I don't think you want to do that it kills off the beneficial microbes as well as the bad ones. Take what I said with a grain of salt I'm no scientist and I'm high.

Comment

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, do a wash with either peroxide or pool shock to kill any pathogens and reset.

• Poppa
        Poppa commented
        Editing a comment
        gbauto where can I read more about this? I did a quick search on main site and didn't find anything on doing this.

My roots always get stained in my reservoir, and start to look pretty funky during the latter part of flowering, but there's no root rot.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I do think your roots look normal and healthy.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Right on. Thanks for all the feed back. I tend to over think things when shit in my garden isn’t perfect. Usually my solution is to throw money at the problem until it goes away. But that get tiresome and expensive.

Comment

Roots should not be dark and twisted. That is the start of root rot. They will continue to grow with root rot if it doesn’t get to bad but it will affect your yield. Nute stained roots look like they are steeped in tea and not twisted. Check your reservoir temperature should be about 68f and use some beneficial microbes to keep algae down and help the roots tolerate higher res temperature
            DWC hydroponic system 18”x36”x72” cabinet
            400w single ended hps (veg)
            7’l 3’w 7’h 600w single ended hps (bloom).
            Using advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow A+B and sensi bloom A+B and orca microbes.
            1st grow OG 13 - 2nd grow Durban poison, Cinderella- 3rd currently bloom white fire og- 4th grow currently veg Bruce banner, gorilla glue- seeds on deck super lemon haze.

Comment

One consistent trait I have found wit the start of root rot is the little side hairs seem to be glued down to the side of the main root (Along with being discolored)
              I start adding a double dose of Hydroguard (4ml per gal)..
              Your plants look stained, but could use a treatment of Hydro, does not hurt the plant and may head off any root rot starting.
              Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 10-31-2020, 08:39 AM.
              Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
              A tale of two seeds
              Batter Up Sour Deisel
              Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
              New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
              Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

I am a newbie too and have been using Hydroguard from the start of my first grow. I am in week 6 of flowering and have had similar reservoir temps as you. Roots are still all white. I am curious as to why you prefer a sterile reservoir over using Hydroguard.

Comment

Hydroguard is very expensive in Canada. And I’d prefer to keep my 2nd grow as simple as possible. I will likely give it a try in future grows. But wanted to see the results in a sterile res this time.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X