Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powder mildew how to prevent and stop it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Powder mildew how to prevent and stop it?

So today i was about to water and noticed little fuzz spots on leaves it looks like it started way at the back near the top of the plant i am assuming not enough air movement near the top of the plant. I actually caught it really soon before i gently wiped the leaves with water but it was earlier then the last time i had it so what i did was i cut off all the leaves affected and gently disposed of them.

i believe 90% that i got all of it on both the plants it looks like it only hit the one and a little bit wen't on the other plant that had leaves really close to the spot i was not expecting the mold as my temps have been perfect 70f to 75f and 40% to 50% humidity caught me off guard for sure. So my main question is what should i do if it comes back should i stock up on something they are close to being done but not there yet November 22nd is when it is suppose to be done so still got a bit to go.

They are 5 weeks into flowering and they are already so big compared to my other grows so i have high hopes of pulling record size colas this grow been having to tie them up but some changes i did after cutting all the leaves with the mildew is i put the fan in the middle hanging from ceiling of the tent so the air moves around at the top more and i cut some of the bigger fan leaves off for more aeriation between the plants cause i ain't trying to risk these plants to mold so praying for the best here.

when i say i caught it early i mean early only had tiny fuzz spots on a small section of the plants just hoping i did not miss a spot

Pictures in the tent are already trimmed and mildew removed Plants still looking massive even tho i did a decent trimming on them
    Attached Files

I can't see any wpm in the pics are you talking about the white stuff on and around the buds? If so those are trichomes it's the sticky sexual part of a female that is there to collect the pollen from a Male. It also helps protect the buds from animals and bugs because it is where you find the THC the intoxicating stuff to them and best part for you.

I do think it would be a good idea to take off some of the larger fan leaves to increase airflow through the plants so you don't get wpm or bud rot. Other than that I see pretty healthy plants
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

I have already had white mildew so i did not take pictures of it cause i did not need to identify the problem i am just wondering if it comes back with a vengeance what should my plans be to counteract it the parts affected was a low amount with a few fuzz spots here and there nothing serious if i did not catch it probably in a day or 2 it would of spreaded up toward the colas my concerns is if i missed a tiny spot on the leaves it will grow and spread.

i read something about sprays and milk but unsure about those i am just gonna keep a eye and hope nothing grows back. But i am wondering if i should buy something as a precaution just to have on hand

Comment

You have to control the environment and possibly pick some different genetics. You are correct about wanting more airflow, but there definitely is such a thing as too much. You don't want a constant strong wind directly on the plant because that can keep the stomata open and the plant transpiring. The 40-50% Rh is not in a range you would expect PM, I'd agree to that.

Without much airflow through the plants, you can develop micro climates. One that can easily lead to PM is when big fan leaves are laying on other leaves. If you lift the top one up, you'll often see the transpiration from the upper leaf on the leaf below. You have trapped moisture and often a hotter temp than the free moving air above the plant, that can be the recipe for PM. Some genetics are easily effected by PM, while others are pretty resistant. Thinning out the middle a little to increase airflow might be of benefit.

I've heard milk, I've heard of apple cider vinegar and even baking soda but haven't had firsthand experience with them. I know a few chemicals that are great (eagle20 coughcough literally), but have been banned due to active ingredients.

Comment

• Shankemdirty
          Shankemdirty commented
          Editing a comment
          I am thinking it was the genetics or the big fan leaves laying on other leaves i have had powder mildew on this strain the last time i grew it just needed to use up these seeds i have also had alot of problems with cropkingseeds and their genetics Thanks for the response.

Remember to clean the tent completely after each run.
        even If I had it in flowering phase. I would clean to whole tent, out with all plants and give it a good clean to ensure all the spores are out from the tent.
        it can happen in every environment- it just need to be invited.
        Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
        You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• Shankemdirty
          Shankemdirty commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah i will give it a good clean after this grow just hoping i can make it through this grow the plants are nice in size and yet to hit the ripening stage so expecting some decent size colas for height example the fan that is standing on the ground is 4 feet and the plants are above it with manifold going near 5 to 6 feet been excited this grow so i don't want to lose it.

They are in a 48"/48"/80" tent and basically 4 feet from front to back of the tent the picture out of the tent is how bushy the plant was before i trimmed it down

The red vinegar worked for me to rid WPM
        Two teaspoons of apple cider (Heinz Apple Cider Flavored Distilled) vinegar in a quart of water seems to have gotten rid of WPM I had been battling for many months. I was losing better than a leaf a day. None yesterday or today and I don't see anything new. It's not a pot plant but a good to know if I get it on one.

Comment

I got a little WPM on my outdoor and used the baking soda spray on them. It did stop The mildew, however horribly burnt all my immature pistils. They all turned brown, and it took 4-5days for new pistils to begin forming again.
          Just wanted to warn you about this

Comment

Here's a recipe I have used before and someone posted this pic awhile back, I went with the milk idea because it was already mentioned and I know it works on grapevines with wpm
            TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
            s silver haze... strawberry haze...
            .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
            TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
            2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
            TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
            3 gallon pots all autos
            Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
            👇my one n only journal👇
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X