Newb Grow Hack - When Things Go Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb Grow Hack - When Things Go Wrong

Indoor newb growers, like me, may appreciate this high-dea, which is what we call these things in our house.

Most of you probably have a way to take digital photos. You don't have to let the world see them, but they come in handy.

If you take a few photos of your plants every day with the lights off, using the flash or in natural light, you have a photographic timeline to refer to if things go sideways. One plant or 20 - a photograph or two every day when you check on them (you're checking on them every day, right??), can help you to diagnose a problem when you finally do notice that you have one. I've seen a lot of "Omg, what did I do to my plants?". If you're keeping a detailed notebook, that's good, but having a series of photos to compare side-by-side can really help. Sometimes my shorthand leaves a little to be desired, lol. "WTF is this?"
    I have twice been able to go back and look at photos and figure out exactly when an issue started. No "Well, I think it was a week ago Tuesday", but I can get it down to a 24-hour period when things were okay and then went to not okay.
    (I skipped a day and that was the day I would have been able to keep things from getting worse...)

Those pictures you take will also provide you with a way to get help right from the outset instead of spending days playing 20 Questions with the experienced growers.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Daily would be better but I been doing it weekly. You don’t think they’ve really grown much when you check on them more than you would an infant but then you look at last weeks pictures and you can really tell a difference. Guess I need to keep my old phone charged better if I’m gonna start daily.

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
      AccidentalGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Even weekly is better than not at all. Leave your old phone on a charger near your grow area
      It really helped me to be able to see minute changes - the kind you get with a problem that takes a while to get. When the stupid thrips got my vegging seedlings in the tent next door, I was able to see dots that weren't there just a day before. I posted one to a diff thread - and when I blew it up on the forum, there was bug shit by each spot! No guessing! It was insect-scat, lol. This time started out as what I thought was an accidental pollination when some pistils turned dark on one plant that shot up. Then the plant next to it looked like it was doing something totally different - also bad - and I'm like, "C'mon man, I'm trying!" I checked run off ph, perfect. For about 12 hours it looked like over-watering, buuuut, I raised the lights because I had a feel. A day later it was definitely sunburn, so I wasn't unnecessarily withholding water or being heavy-handed with it.

I never thought of doing it daily, I do take em quite often, but sounds like a better way for diagnosing the problem 4sure. Girls lookin good but you are just entering the hardest part. THE WAIT, growth starts slowing down and a week seems like a month lol and you have 8 weeks...
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
      AccidentalGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, this is my second time with this part The WAIT definitely beats pulling a slot-machine handle every time I get retail weed.
      New light arrived today, bigger tent on Tues. Of course I'm not folding this one -it's gonna be my veg tent...or run autos in half of it...might not have to worry about The Wait again!

Good post 👍🏻
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X