Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My super soil is too hot. What can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL My super soil is too hot. What can I do?

I made my own huge budget organic super soil (about 4000L) with a few amendments like gypsum, rock phosphate, dolomite lime, kelp- and bone meal, also long release fertiliser pellets with all the necessary macro- and micro nutrients as well as compost. I had it cooking for about two months when I did my first runoff test and I got a value over 3000ppms with RO water ph to 6.5. A few weeks later it went up to almost 4500ppms. Can I flush the soil a couple of times to lower the ppms or should I add soil to increase volume and in turn reduce the ppms?

Personally I probably would just add soil to it. You don't really want to waste your nutrients by flushing. Super soil is supposed to be used as a bottom layer in the final pots anyway, only the bottom 1/4-1/3 of the pot. The rest should be a normal strength potting mix. I didn't measure the ppm's of my soil runoff but I've been using the same soil for a year now and just mixed everything together after 2-3 grows and it's still working great. I will probably have to add more nutrients after a few more grows, but it's still good for now. Hope that helps.

Comment

• RSAgrower
      RSAgrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you friend. I appreciate the tips.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X