Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Alternative to Mason Jars

Hi,

I am in Week 3 of flowering on my first grow and things are proceeding well, in large part due to the great info presented on this site. I cannot find Mason jars anywhere. Are plastic Rubbermaid food storage containers a good alternative for storage of the finished product?

Thanks

Order it from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mason+jar...nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

From Leafly:

How to store your weed

Do – store out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry place

Do – store in containers with a neutral charge, like glass Mason jars

Do – use hygrometers or products like Boveda to monitor and control RH levels

Do – vacuum seal jars and containers to minimize oxygen exposure

Do – separate your strains to maintain their individual flavor profiles. Label them with a date using a Sharpie. It sucks when you mix up strains.

Do – look for the many exciting new ways to store your cannabis. The cannabis industry is growing every day, with new products and companies like Cannador and The Bureau designing solutions for all of your cannabis storage needs.

Do — not stress about storing weed. The best way to get the most out of your herb is to smoke it in a timely fashion!
    How not to store your weed

Don’t – store in the refrigerator. The fluctuations in humidity and temperature can actually increase your chance of mold and mildew. If you do refrigerate, vacuum-seal completely. Cold buds will scavenge water from the air, ruining the flavor. Allow container enough time to return to room temperature before re-opening.

Don’t – store in the freezer. Freezing temperatures cause the fragile trichomes to become brittle and break off like little icicles when handled. If you do freeze, vacuum-seal completely and keep frozen. Since a frozen bud scavenges water from the air, ruining the flavor, allow frozen container and buds enough time to return to room temperature before re-opening.

Don’t – store in cheap plastic bags or containers. Plastic often has a static charge that can attract precious trichomes. If you must use a plastic bag, only use it for short-term storage of small quantities of cannabis. Or use a higher-quality bag like a Smelly Proof bag.

Don’t – store above or around electronics or appliances that give off heat. Heat rises—instead, store your cannabis in a low cupboard, shelf, or in the basement of your house, much like a wine cellar.

Don’t – use a tobacco humidor. Most use cedar wood, which has oils that transfer and can influence the flavors of your cannabis. They also tend to employ sponges that use propylene glycol to regulate humidity and can oversaturate your cannabis.

Don’t – store grinders, pipes, or other paraphernalia with your cannabis. The ash and resin from burnt cannabis tends to linger and will stink up any storage container. Also, it is simply good etiquette to keep your supplies separate and clean.
    Last edited by Farmbuck; 10-12-2020, 11:06 AM.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Farmbuck, I agree with most of the guide lines that You set forth but one, Storing the SEALED jar in the refrigerator is not a problem with the fluctuating humidity in the fridge, Elevated temperatures (above 45° F the mold and fungi will grow, I lost some of my first successful grow to mold by storing them in a cool (room temperature) dark closet. Since I have been storing/curing the jars in the fridge, I have not lost any more to mold (the light does go out when the door is closed! LOL!!). Living where You do, the ambient temperatures are much lower than my area and may not be a problem

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      If I might add. After harvest, light is the enemy of THC. So keep them in the dark.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll add that mold grows at or above 55% RH. Also you can find cheaper places to buy from than amazon!
      Last edited by Rwise; 10-13-2020, 04:34 AM.

Everyone will say "no way gotta be glass". I left a bunch of White Widow auto popcorn buds in a plastic container for almost a year. Excellent smoke.
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

With everyone staying home this past summer - home grown veggies are very popular - thus - shortage of mason jars as most people have been canning their harvests.

My wife got me 4 dozen a few years ago - just wish i could fill them all up once.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Haa haa Canuck147 tis why i grow photos outdoors in the summer. It's that yield and with just 2 5ft photo plants i've gotten 7 quart jars of fine bud but it is a long long grow period. Now X's that yield with 8 plants that's why i do it. Give's me a break also for several months and lots to share with friends. I am looking for jars and washing jars that will fit wide mouth or small mouth jars.

I have my Tupperware. Much more easier to acces the weed than a mason jar my fat hand can’t get inside.
    and they are 100% air tight.
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Turkey Roasting bags work for storing in a Pinch if you can not find the jars and they help keep the smell in as well. I store in turkey bags in 5 gallon buckets sealed with gamma lids and boveda pack if it’s gonna be in the dark for awhile.
      4x4 flower tent
      sour dream
      Blue Diesel
      Trainwreck
      platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
      Green Dream
      Sour Dream
      blue dream
      Freakshow

Comment

Almost every Walmart has them.

Comment

• desertdan
          desertdan commented
          Editing a comment
          every size and color

• Bowhunterwoody
          Bowhunterwoody commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a jar at any Walmart in CT. Target either.

• PLreef
          PLreef commented
          Editing a comment
          They have them at a grow shop in eastern CT.

5 gal bucket with gamma seal

Comment

I might add you want to store in the Dark so get black or dark blue buckets and gamma lids if possible
          4x4 flower tent
          sour dream
          Blue Diesel
          Trainwreck
          platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
          Green Dream
          Sour Dream
          blue dream
          Freakshow

Comment

If you have a Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet around they may be good place to check they tent to stock up in the fall.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X