Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it human nature to be lazy?

Soooooo........
    I go to put my budding girls to bed last night, and I find 2 of my fastest growing ladies have developed a problem during the day.
    They’re very light lime green, with curling brown edges, and brown spotted older fan leaves. Showing multiple deficiencies, and I’m wondering how that could possibly be??
    These two plants are different strains which drink twice as much as the others do, and there are 14 others showing no symptoms. There are other unaffected plants from the same strains as well.
    so I’m thinking, how could they possibly have a deficiency?
    They get ample nutrients and the PH is always good.....
    Ya really???? Is the PH good?
    I used to check the PH regularly, but have never seen a major fluctuation, so I probably haven’t checked it in a month or so. I pull out my digital meter and it gives me a reading of 8.35 out of the tap. Now I’m thinking my calibration is out, so I calibrate it and get the same reading. Now I’m searching around for my PH paper, cuz I’m not buying this shit. When I find it, it turns dark forest green which definitely indicates that my ph is between 8 and 9, and my girls are in Promix😳
    So my hungriest girls are suffering severe nutrient lock out. The others haven’t presented symptoms yet, but I’m sure they’re right behind.
    Punishment for my laziness is flushing 16 plants by black pen light, so I can get some nutrients back into them this morning.
    Lazy, Lazy, Lazy!!
    i won’t do that again...😂😂
    And if I do, the penance will be severe

Did some kind of this on my first grows..
    and with being lazy - you pay a big price🤣.

Last two grows I didn’t even flushed my plants. 9 plants in a 30 L pot with soil and a plant, just too much weight to carry out and flush.
    So I’m watering with run off, and only water with molasses’s the last 2-3 weeks..
    And fingers crossed, never needed to make a instant flush because of PH or nute burn.
    But never wing the Ph 😂
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

The problem is too much human intervention. My plants and soil don’t have those issues and I haven’t checked my ph in almost 2 years now. I don’t think it’s You being lazy just have the wrong style of grow. I used to hate having to check run off and all the extra work that comes with bottled nutrients so my living soil does it all for me now. Just have to water.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers Cali

• lalaland
        lalaland commented
        Editing a comment
        I really enjoyed using natural amendments on my outdoor crop, and you are correct that it was almost issue free. Wasn’t super keen on bringing natural soil indoors which is why I went with the soilless(absolutely terrified of bringing in outdoor pests after a spider mite disaster)
        I have a feeling my outside girls wouldn’t have liked the 8-9 water either, then again they were never fed tap water, just collected rain. I will definitely consider my options again for the next round.

And I thought I was lazy - just let my autoflowers grow the way they want - can't be bothered LSTing them and having to adjust tie-down twice a day....

But I do check and adjust my pH every time i water them. But not the runoff - can't be bothered with checking it twice..

​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. I lever check my run off.
        Never did in 8 years.

I don’t even empty my sauces under the pot. I just let it evaporate 😅
        Last edited by CaptainWiese91; 10-08-2020, 11:12 AM.

• lalaland
        lalaland commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve never checked my run off either, until last night😂

Interesting thread. Like a couple others have mentioned I too use living soil but I do periodically check my PH. I noticed recently during bud a few pots are testing higher than normal and showing yellowing leaves. Even though I have been adding topsoil amendments, blackstrap, potassium teas, and Epsom, I think my pots are played out here in the final grow days and are in desperate need of recycling. Last year by this time I was fully harvested and didn't have these issues. I have 5-6 plants still going and I am pulling every rabbit out of my hat I can think of to squeeze another week or two out of my soil. I'll make some banana tea today and see where that goes.

Comment

• Cali
        Cali commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you tried kelp meal? What I do is I get a cup of kelp or half a cup, then I put enough water to cover the kelp meal in a mason jar and let the kelp soak up all the water then I purée it in a blender and keep it in my fridge. When I want to do a foliar spray I just use a table spoon to a gallon of water but in your case a soil drench would be perfect and for a soil drench I use 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water. I use a sprayer so I strain the meal from the water otherwise I just water it all in and let my worms go to town on the kelp meal that’s left on top of the soil.

• crucialbunny
        crucialbunny commented
        Editing a comment
        Love that kelp. I live less than a mile from the beach so in the winter I just take a walk and fill a pail. I wash it and then let it rest in a tub of fresh water for a day or two. Dry it in the sun and then run it through my worm composter. and use it as part of my initial potting soil. I like your idea of blending it and using it as a drench and top dressing. Thanks for the tip.

lalaland yes I can relate to the fear of pests. Had thrips infestation on my first or second run can’t recall exactly. I learned that I better have an IPM to prevent pest issues. Now I do a preventative spray once a week until I flip to flower then I’m just relying on my plants SAR And all the beneficial insects that somehow found their way into my garden. Some I did buy and put in myself the rest nature found its way in like always.

Comment

• lalaland
        lalaland commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally agree with the preventative! I do the exact same thing, and continue until pistils begin to show.

Crossed fingers... so far I've not had a problem with PH, pretty lucky, really.. But I thank you for your post as it makes me aware that I shouldn't become complacent just because I haven't had a problem..
      😊

Comment

• lalaland
        lalaland commented
        Editing a comment
        Good call @TenX2!! This is my first problem in 6 months with ph, so complacency was high. The good thing was I’ve seen this same problem so many times on the forum, and the members responses, that I knew what to do, and took action immediately. My girls don’t appear to be suffering any ill effects at this time, they just aren’t as pretty as they used to be.
        Lesson learned!😂

Lalaland.. while my partner and I were doing the - 3wk post 12/12 switch trim - today, I told him about your post re Ph Laziness 😆.. and reiterated how I need to be more vigilant and check the Ph.. (😉Thank you for reminding me that it isn't a given)
      Wonderful to hear your girl's are recuperating.. (such a resilient plant!! 😊)
      Thank you....

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X