Bud rot or not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bud rot or not ?

As most of you know I’m running 9x fat banana.
    and here this morning I was giving some TLC and I noticed some color change in almost every bud.

I suspect it it’s bud rot a first sight. BUT! I think the color of it, doesn’t look like it. And I have literally NONE yellow leaves as you normal get when bud rot appears.

so I would like a second opinion before I’m tossing the plant 😅

my second thought was its early stage of going purple ? Because again I have no yellow sugar leaves ?? No leaves are dying off.

look close under the leaves a long side with the stem. And some calyx’s is purple too.
    only plant out of 9 is doing this ??

Opinions please !!!

happy growing Capt
    Last edited by CaptainWiese91; 10-02-2020, 06:13 AM.
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Pics 5 and 6 look like maybe a bud worm, which leads to bud rot. Dig into it, does it fall apart? Is there a worm? Is it slimy inside? Does it smell like mold?

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      No nothing falls apart. No bad smell. Only pungent pine smell. Like normal cannabis..
      It’s not slimy. Only sticky .

Which makes me really confused here.

Just looked with a jewelry loupe.
    on pic 7 the little bud I cut off, and opened it.
    no bugs. And the color is more pink than brown or purple. When looked through the loupe ??
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Do dig into the bud/s in pics 5 and 6, in the brown spot.

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay I will do that

Wow. This looks like a really really small seed. Not even been to a seed yet.
    But if it’s making seeds, shouldn’t all the hairs become brown then and curl in? Likes it hermied or got pollinated?
    It’s really fucking weird if it’s starting to make seeds without pollen sacs or not a single nanner on it.
    and no other plant have pollen sacs or nanners.
    I’m confused here 🤦🏼

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it firm or just a shell? Sometimes you can get what appears to be a seed, but its empty without pollen. Outside I have read that pollen can travel on the wind for 2000 miles, makes me wonder how we dont have some seed on all plants. Inside, if you get it on you outside then go tend the girls, well you have the chance of getting a few seed.

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Shell outside and then This little fella was inside.
      Might be nothing. I’m not the edge here with what to do 😅.

Might be me getting some pollen inside maybe ? But I live in a really wealthy neighborhood and I really don’t believe some of my neighbors or someone close is growing here 😅😅 but who knows

dphipps1020 ever seen this before ??

Comment

On first appearances I Dont believe it is bud rot. I would isolate plant and keep a close eye on it. Keep us up to date!
      If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        I really dont think either.
        Can’t isolate it. Can take it outside to the others. But which means it can’t go back in the tent again 🤦🏼

• Korn
        Korn commented
        Editing a comment
        For now I would leave in tent until a bud rot diagnosis is confirmed. Then decide best plan of action.

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea probably the smartest thing to do right now.

Does Portugal allow growing weed outside? What is the photo period doing there now? It show be nights longer than days since we are well passed the equinox which was on 9-21. Just curious really. Best of luck!
      If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Portugal don’t allow any growing at all..

My days here are 12-13 hours of sun light. So my photo outside is in full flowering ?? The days are not long enough to make it veg

And thank you

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just looked. Sun comes up 7.33am and goes down 7.14 pm

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
      Pics 5 and 6 look like maybe a bud worm, which leads to bud rot. Dig into it, does it fall apart? Is there a worm? Is it slimy inside? Does it smell like mold?
      That is great advice Rwise!

I just had a problem with bud worms and it began with the calyxes / flowers getting soft and spreading out. Tight bud going larfy.

If you pick one of your suspected rot areas apart and see a bunch of brown or blackish "dirt," it's prolly worms even if you can't see the culprits. The infant worms are tiny and mottled brown. Sorry I didn't take any pics.

Oh yeah, Permethrin was the only thing I found that actually killed the worms I collected in a jar when I trimmed an "infected" bud. Neither Alcohol/water or Spinosad, seem to bother them, Perm nuked them in an hour.

QUESTION: Can anyone comment on the safety of spraying Permethrin or Pyritherin on budding plants? I have read that they both go inert after a couple of weeks, & the label says you can "Harvest" fruit after using them. If if it IS safe, it seems like a great solution: easy to use, cheap If you use an electric fogger it doesn't even really get the plant wet, just a mist that dries after a few minutes. I have used Perm on one of my ladies for thrips to good effect and no downside.

Cheers,

-Grouchy
      My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
      I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
      Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx. I fought bud worms last year, picking them off and smashing them, sprays etc., this year its praying mantis for sure!

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers mate. I will try to take some more buds apart and look with the loupe.

• growell
        growell commented
        Editing a comment
        its safe 100% natural kills anything made from flowers mate

If your outside with your grow, praying mantis is the bug bomb I use. Completely organic, and automatic, they will dig the worms out and eat them even before you find them! Then when you spot the dead place you can clean it up and grow on.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        I only have one outdoor plant left out of 22.
        And it’s doing fine, no pollination or nothing.
        Then I have this one in the tent 🤦🏼 I will try to pull apart pics 5-6 in the bud. Even though it’s the top cola 😣

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        You can bend the bud to see in it without doing a lot of damage, and not plucking it off.

It looks like it may be random seeds growing to me. It will usually only turn a few hairs brown right around it. I've had it happen once I think with no noticeable pollen sacs anywhere. I heard from a buddy of mine that it can happen on occasion where the plant somehow pollinates itself. He told me that sometimes the pollen sacs form and the buds grow around it but it still manages to make a seed or 2. Kind of a self preservation thing he thinks. Sounds logical enough to me.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Many many thanks !! Still can’t get my head around it 😅.
        So I’m enjoying a few beers today in the sun

• lalaland
        lalaland commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing brings joy to your life like seeing the world brand new through a little persons eyes.💕

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        I Think you are right 😁.
        Thanks for the kinds words

Cut off a bud this morning.
      Nothing changed. Still pink or light red in the color.

it could be genetics. But ohh I will feel so bad if I’m letting a plant with bud rot stay inside the tent 🤦🏼🤦🏼

Comment

If You zoom in, You Can see the pink areas.
        Honestly I think it’s genetics. But I’m so afraid just keeping it, and then it contaminate all the others ...🤦🏼🤦🏼

Comment

• dphipps1020
          dphipps1020 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like it's just colorful buds now. I'm not sure, never had buds that color yet so it's a new one to me. I still get a little freaked out when I get purple unexpectedly 😂

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Honestly I’ve never seen that color before..
          this is what makes me worried. But I will try keeping it, and see how it goes.
          Maybe I get pink weed 🤣🤷🏼‍♂️ Or it’s a deficiency of some kind ??

I don't see any signs of rot on your original pics, Capt. Your buds look nothing like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	budrot.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	455756

It's good that you're keeping a close eye on them.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree ! But you know how it is, it would be awful to shut down the whole grow, because of one plant.
          I will let it be for now and keep an eye on it.
          Thanks

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X