Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed please..looks like a yellow banana.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed please..looks like a yellow banana.

Hey guys and girls.

Was in with the girls this morning watering and noticed this on one of the plants. I think I might have found one more on the same plant but it just hasn't grown yet. I have looked on the GWE site for information and looks like I might be harvesting early.

My question is, do you harvest just the one plant showing the banana/s? Or do you harvest the whole lot? I don't have the time to further research at the moment, I have a medical appointment that I can't miss, and my anxiety levels just went through the roof.

As usual, any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

An
    Attached Files
    3rd indoor grow in 15 years.

2 x Wedding Cake(New420guy)
    2 x Grandoggy Jones(Connoisseur Genetics)
    6ft x 6ft BudBox Pro White
    4 x 37litre(10 Gallon) Bucket Company pots
    Professor's Nutrients 70% Coco 30% Perlite
    3 x ES 300's (2 x V2, 1 x V3)
    Professor's Nutrients feeding program(slightly modified)
    ISO-Max 200 exhaust fan with filter

I wouldn't Harvest early nor lose sleep over it, nanners happen and any damage from them has already been done so just keep going at this point.

you can wet your fingertips and pluck the little one you find off but honestly sometimes nanners don't even give you seeds sometimes they do. I'd be more concerned about finding what cause them heat, light stress, light leak, or genetics.
    Last edited by Mr.furley; 09-29-2020, 10:50 PM.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Check your pm's

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      newbutoldgrower75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Have done buddy, sent one back.

Thanks Mr.furley kingfish . But I think it's a lot worse than what I thought. When I got back from my appointment I had a better look and found a few buds like these, the banana's are at the tops, sides still seem fine.

After doing some research on the site etc while waiting to see the doctor haha, I realised that I really don't have any choice but to pull them now. I got to sample a bud that I accidentally snapped off about 7-10 days ago, can't remember when exactly, been drying and curing it since then. Even without flushing the plant at that stage, the colour/potency/taste/smell was quite impressive. I'm not up with the terms people use like 'couchlock' etc. But it was a head and body stone, but still had enough energy and brain power to get things done. Thats more the feeling I am looking for, also makes you smile a lot haha.

Here are a couple of pics, any help would be great. I did use tweezers to remove the banana from the bud before I left for my appointment. I think the big rise in humidity might of had something to do with it, up to 70% during the day for 3 days. I live in Victoria (Australia), and we can literally get 4 seasons in 1 day here. I do have a dehumidifier now for the room that the tent is in, but thinking it might have been too late. You live you learn, sometimes the hard way Thanks.
    Attached Files

Comment

newbutoldgrower75 , I don't worry too much about the little bananas. I'll be more concerned about the 70% humidity. You have to get that down or you take a chance of getting Bud rot. When I'm in flowering, I don't want my RH over 35%.

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        kingfish I had a problem with humidity over 3 days because the weather here was so up and down, the weather can be quite unpredictable where I live. A good example in the last month is one week we were getting nice days around 24C(75.2) the next it is snowing about an hour from where I live on the coast. We are in spring, crazy weather. I now have a dehumidifier in the room I have the tent in, and getting around the same humidity as you are. Thanks for your help buddy.

Pinch them of.
      I had one in my last grow. Never had a seed in that grow.
      Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        @CaptainWiese I have been pinching them off now like Mr.furley suggested, with wet finger. I think I stressed because there seems to be a few popping up on all the plants now, but I could be wrong. I have now picked out 4 that have come out, just going to keep a good eye on them. Thanks mate

Howdy newbutoldgrower75, Like Mr F said, nothing to loose sleep over. In fact, I love to see nanners on my plants because the only 'problem' with them is that you will have some feminized seeds! I have been using the seeds from previous nannered plants for the last five grows they have all been female plants with as good or better quality and yields than the 'mother' plants. I intentionally stress (with heat and light changes) to get them to nanner, Tha amount of seeds produced (if any) has always been very low especially when compared to 'normally' pollinated plants.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        Thanks DW2 think I was just having a bit of a stress attack haha. Im glad you commented on the seeds from the plant, was getting confused from reading some bad information off a couple of other sites. Thanks so much for that bit of info on the seeds, feel better knowing that I could end up with some bonuses. Cheers

Thanks kingfish Mr.furley ChadWestport CaptainWiese91 DW2 I have taken everyones advise and didnt chop the girls yet. I think after the intense research on the net yesterday and seeing so many different answers, it got a bit overwhelming for me. That and dealing with some medical things, my head is abit everywhere at the moment and finding it a bit hard to concentrate on something for too long. After relaxing after a couple and getting my thoughts together, I realised I am probably overreacting a little and that I will follow the advise from you guys as that is what has gotten me this far through the grow. And thanks for that trick with wetting the fingers before plucking Mr.furley, it made sense to do it that way, I appreciate it.

So another morning and yet another problem, thrip. Being this late in flowering stage I only want to find away to get rid of them without harming the buds. Im pretty sure they only got into the tent yesterday when I opened the window in the room to let some fresh air in. I only noticed they were there this morning when I watered, they started jumping around the coco. There seems to be a few of them but only in the one pot. I checked plants/leaves, even gave a couple of branches a shake, didnt see one. And no visible damage to leaves. Could it be possible that the floor fan is keeping them low in the coco? The only thing I can come up with at the moment to help with them is to put plastic down on top of the coco, which is suppose to stop thrip turned adult from getting to your plant. Would this help? Any other ideas for plants this far into flowering?

Comment

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        I had Thrips last year and they are very elusive. spinosad did the trick so if you have some Spray the top of your soil and try and keep it off the plants some people will Spray the plant in flower with it but not me, I ended up using lady bugs to keep them at Bay for a couple months but it wouldn't eradicate them, after Harvest I cut everything down but three mother plants, cleaned really good, threw away soil and pots. while it wasn't my first choice it's what I had to do and I haven't seen no sign that they are around in 3 months.

From the looks of the trichomes on your flower not your sugar leaves I'd say two weeks or so till harvest, try to keep them down with sticky traps or lady bugs then clean really good after Harvest. Remember the bugs/eggs will move with your plant matter, trim, buds, soil, pots, clean and spray everything.

Water neutralizes pollen glad it helps and that you're feeling better about things today, with the bugs and the nanners dont get to overly worked up about them, just a couple notches in the grow belt. Bet you don't find seeds as it takes 40 days for seed the grow to maturity and if you do save it/them!
        Last edited by Mr.furley; 09-30-2020, 10:43 PM.

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        I do want to add this.

Make sure they are thrips and not fungus gnats, Thrips are very small, have a 14 day cycle to adult hood(if I remember right) and only become clearly visible as a white elongated crawling bug, they like the underside of the leaf were the fingers meet, hide well. the young bugs are but dots and i mean dots on a sticky card.
        Last edited by Mr.furley; 10-01-2020, 01:35 AM.

Thanks Mr.furley Im about to head down to the hardware and grab some sticky traps and see if I can get some to put under the micrscope. I had a quick look at fungus gnats and I think you are right, there is a good chance it is fungus gnats. I will post some pics and some more information once I have it.

Those pics of the trichomes are from the left hand side plant, thats the one that first popped a banana. The one at the back of the tent has buds twice as thick, it was the runt at the start but has had the sweet spot the whole way through the grow. It seems a week in front of the other two. Will take some pics of the trichomes on that one and post them with the other pics.

Definitely have a much clearer head about things today, thank you. Its been a tough few weeks with the girls, but Im hanging in there. Thanks again.

Comment

Mr.furley and anyone else who might be able to help wth this. I was only able to get some clear sticky fly tape from the local hardware, cut some off and put it flat on the coco. Left it for an hour and had a look. I could make out what looked to be a couple of tiny mosquito amongst the coco that stuck to it, damn its sticky. I couldnt get a clear pic with the microscope, too much reflection from the tape. So decided to tip a bit of water in a spot where I first saw something this morning. Saw a couple of things crawling around so grabbed a clear solo cup and took a little bit of coco from where I saw some activity. I still couldnt get a good enough pic to show you but was able to get some video with the WiFi microscope. But even though it doesnt seem to go for long, the file is too big to upload.

I will give it a go at explaining what I saw until I can downsize the file to upload. With just my eyes I noticed a couple of really small insects that looked like they were flying, more of a light colour than a dark, when I put the coco in the cup. Once I got the coco under the microscope I noticed white wormy looking things moving through the medium at a medium to fast rate. When I watered this morning and I noticed that there was bugs in the medium, I first thought I noticed bugs similar to witchetty grubs but alot smaller. But I did wake and bake this morning, so I could be wrong haha. I will keep working on the video, but in the meantime if anyone could help with this it would be very helpful at the moment. Cheers.

Comment

Sounds like thrips.
          I had a little problem with them under my veg time. And I’ve used iso alcohol and water.
          I found out here in flowering their colony don’t like sugar leaves, because of all the trichomes I think. Too sticky.
          So after the alcohol - they got reduced a lot. And I thought shit what about if they go eat on my sugar leaves for the bud production. But no, they never ended there, so I just kept on spraying the fan leaves and eventually killed them all
          Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
          You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
            Editing a comment
            Thinking it might be more than just Thrip, could have a couple of things happening unfortuanately. Should hopefully know shortly. Thats interesting you saying about them maybe not liking sugar leaves. Im not getting any activity or leaf damage that I can see, and majority of the leaf left are suger leaves. Thanks for that bit of information CaptainWiese91

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            I know for a fact - Alcohol won’t kill your plants and certainly won’t kill humans because of it dried out on the leaves.
            And then you don’t need to spray all that crap on your plant with toxic pesticides. Even if they say it’s not harmful - Chemicals is chemicals...

If you can get this. Get it. Two treatments, end of Thrips. You can use this all the way into flowering.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep i sprayed that on my aphids infestation on some bushes i had.

• newbutoldgrower75
            Editing a comment
            Thanks kingfish SoOrbudgal I looked it up and can get it through Ebay and Amazon in Australia, but have to wait 9 to 15 days for delivery unfortunately, it all gets shipped from the USA.

Howdy newbutoldgrower75, Sorry to hear about the bugs! When I have problems with critters, I use Azamax, both as a foilar spray and added directly into the reservoirs. It is a plant derived product the (according to the directions) interferes with the reproductive cycle of the larvae, so it is not a 'quick fix' but it can be used up to 24 hours prior to harvest. When added to the reservoir, it becomes systemic and gets to the critters that eat on the plants. It has worked well for me with gnats, white flies, and a tiny worm like thing that I once had in the roots (still have not found what they were).
          Good luck!
          Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
            Editing a comment
            Hey DW2. https://shop.ocp.com.au/product/azamax/ is this the stuff you are talking about? Sounds pretty impressive, and can get delivered in australia quite quickly. A friend of mine uses this https://www.aquagardening.com.au/ipm...SABEgKa3PD_BwE would this be similar to what you are talking about? My friend can drop some over tonight if its any benefit to me. Thanks for your help buddy.

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Howdy newbutoldgrower75, That first one id it, but that is a high price for it! I get it from a garden supply company in Ohio, but their web site is down due to supply line problems due to COVID-19 stuff. It is made by Parry America inc. located in Irvine Texas (www.parryamerica.com), I do not know if they sell directly to the consumer or not, but here is their phone number as well, (214) 624-5115, fax number (214) 624-5101. Just for reference, I have been paying around $24.00 (US) for an 8 ounce bottle.

My way of dealing with bugs is to start-over. It's only happened 2 or 3 times, and the problem wasn't bad, but following the proper protocols for greenhouses I removed everything. Which not many cannabis companies will, because it is lost money and time but I have seen large places not properly deal with bugs and they had to build another $2 million facility because it was effected yield so badly. In the ultimate face palm, they took clones from the old facility and brought them to the new one..... Two years later, they built another facility. But I digress, if you can get to harvest without knowing you will be smoking bugs, do it. But after that, take a short break and sterilize, get new pots, new soil etc. Kill the adults, let the eggs hatch and kill them too.

Where do you suspect the thrips came from? Have you brought any clones into the garden?

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
            Editing a comment
            I was actually waiting for someone to give me that bad news haha, remember reading a little while ago about people starting over again before and not properly taking care of the infestations, the problem continued. I am putting in down to rather my lawns being mowed about a week ago and forgetting to close the window to the room the tent is in. The weather bringing them all out as its been crazy here lately. Or the bloody construction that is going on all around me, new estate where I live. Im still trying to see any bugs on the actual plants at all, I also put the bottom fan on high. Getting close to where I want the girls to harvest, the big one is showing more amber Trichome heads now. Just trying to take clear enough pics of the Trichomes, every time I go to take a pic with the phone microscope it moves haha. WiFi microscope will be fully charged shortly, going to try with that. Thanks buddy for your advice and help, appreciate it.

Watched a video on youtube where a guy used a product called "Avid" for pests it gets into the plant and stays in the plant for 60 days so i'm guessing it would only be safe to use whilst in veg or very early flowering phase he said that was $120 for what looked like maybe a 200ml bottle, he used another one which was a powder called F40 or N40? that lasts for 45 days.
          3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
          Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
          Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
          Couple of fans for airflow
          First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
          Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
          Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

Comment

• ChadWestport
            ChadWestport commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm fairly sure that Avid is one of the banned pesticides for cannabis use in most states with legal cannabis. Which means it probably works really well. I'm not sure the reason off the top of my head, but it was health related. So many of these chemicals have not been tested for use with combustion.

• buds73
            buds73 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wouldn't surprise me the stuff sounded pretty lethal and i'm not sure i'd want to smoke a plant that has had poison running through it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X