Germinating seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Germinating seeds

Ok so I got seeds from a seed bank put them in my fridge in the packaging they came in for a couple days put 8 seeds in paper towels 4 germinated but 2 stopped shortly after the other 2 their tap roots kept growing. My question is should I have soaked them overnight or is their some trick to seeds from seed banks I only ask bc I have never had so many issues with trying to germinate bag seed in paper towels.
    Vivosun 5x3 tent, AC Infinity T6 fan, Vivosun carbon filter,5 gallon fabric pots, coco-coir, 600watt Vivosun MH/HPS

It could just be that the seeds were weak. I have had many seeds pop, grow an 1/8" tail but never proceed from there. I too prefer the wet paper towel in a warm, dark drawer for germination. Warmer temps help the seeds (but not hot) and do check once per day to make sure the paper towel isn't getting dry.

Some people will soak seeds for 24 hours. This is done to see which ones sink (the shell is breached) and then those are germinated or planted. Floaters typically do not pop. There are some fancy methods like scarification or gibberellic acid, but these are outlier scenarios. Paper towels is my go to.

Comment

Ok thanks was just kind of disheartening to have only 1 out of 5 seeds I paid for germinate and then 1 of the other 3 was a freebie but I guess I cant complain I paid $90 for 18 seeds if I get only one plant that has to yield more than I could get at my local dispensary.
      Vivosun 5x3 tent, AC Infinity T6 fan, Vivosun carbon filter,5 gallon fabric pots, coco-coir, 600watt Vivosun MH/HPS

Comment

True True, that is how I try and look at things too. Disappointing though. I'm not sure where you got them, but a lot of the reputable places will listen to your complaint, offer advice and if they feel the seeds were germinated with a proper technique, often times they'll send out a replacement or offer freebies. They can't do that for everyone, but people with the right skills and answers usually get taken care of.

Comment

they were from MSNL I purchased 5 purple hulks and 5 white widow max have yet to try the white widows

Comment

In the soil and germinate them there.
            like Mother Nature. Then you don’t have to check every time if it’s moist or in a dark room.
            Directly in the soil.
            Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
            You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• ChadWestport
              ChadWestport commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely works, but the suspense kills me

I don't think MSNL guarantees germination either so I don't think they offer refunds for that but they are a lot cheaper than some of the sites that do guarantee so idk lol. Also they had the stealth shipping and would take my credit card it can be hard to find places to order from I am still on a "waiting" list for seedsman and some others either don't accept US payment or use bitcoins or something.

Comment

I always soak my seeds in a cup of water overnight then put them into damp soil over a heating pad. I can only think of a couple that didn’t sprout.

Comment

I like to soak mine in a shot glass of water until they crack open and then plant in the soil. Only reason I do it that way is so I can make sure I have good seeds going in the pots. I usually plant a little deeper than recommended but they're usually sprouted by day 2.

Comment

Thanks for all the useful advice!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X