Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChadWestport
    commented on 's reply
    That is awesome newbutoldgrower75 The main take away from all of these practices is that if you are a good steward to the land, the land will provide. Traditional farming is so ass backwards and pulling off organic farming is hard to do at scale, but there are a lot more success stories and the momentum is changing. The older generation is retiring or getting out of farming, the new group is coming with different ideas. I'm by no means am the authority on the subject, but I do know enough to be dangerous

It really blows me away of what can be done and has been done with the Sustainable approach to farming. It's never to late for you to keep learning because the industry is learning everyday too.

• newbutoldgrower75
    commented on 's reply
    ChadWestport I started reading about Permaculture 10 years ago, got pretty interested in it and did a two week Introductory into PermaCulture course onsite at a Permaculture farm. Absolutely luved it, just wish now that I had taken it further. I definitely wouldnt have the knowledge that you have on the subject, how much schooling have you done? I envy you that you pursued something you enjoy, and that you will have a 20 acre food forest, my dream haha.

• growell
    replied
    Yes i done this but not with cannabis with veg in my allotment garlic near carrots plus crop rotation plant peas in one spot year after plant brassica cauliflowers etc were peas were to bonefit from what they left in soil it does work got to be careful what u plant were if keep planting things in same place u get disease in soil u cant get rid of but in short it does work

Leave a comment:

• ChadWestport
    commented on 's reply
    You hit the nail on the head. A huge part of permaculture / agroecology / sustainable farming practices. I love that you know about this stuff, I went to school for it and one day, I'll have 20 acres to make my food forest.

• newbutoldgrower75
    replied
    Hey buddy. Never heard of Companion Planting before but it sounds similar to Permaculture. Permaculture can be understood as the growth of agricultural ecosystems in a self-sufficient and sustainable way. This form of agriculture draws inspiration from nature to develop synergetic farming systems based on crop diversity, resilience, natural productivity, and sustainability. Great subject to do some research on, very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• ChadWestport
    replied
    That is awesome that they offer them in premade packs. Companion planting can be beneficial to enrich the soil. Legumes, clover and other plants fixate the atmospheric nitrogen and deposit it into the soil. There is also the deterrent factor, some animals and bugs won't go near certain scents. Some growers even put a few desirable plants for the bugs on the perimeter of their grow. If the bugs come, they will likely go to that plant first, so if you detect the buggers there, they are not far from the real garden. None of this is 100% foolproof, but it does give you another advantage over the armies of bugs that crawl and fly around looking for a nice meal. I'm guessing the mix would have to be regional though to account for different climates, bugs and predators. I like the idea.

Leave a comment:

• buds73
    started a topic Companion planting

Companion planting

Hi all, whilst seed browsing last night on Royal Queen Seeds I came across some that may be helpful to the outside growers here. They do a line called Royal Guardians which is a collection of seeds if various plants such as peppermint, dill and sunflower to name a few. They do a few various packs for different things some that add nutrients and some that deter pests or you can get a complete pack that covers it all. Prices are pretty cheap when compared to cannabis and I was wondering has anyone here tried this type of protection and how well does it work? And for those that haven't tried it might be worth a go
    Here's a link for anyone interested. https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/48-companion-planting

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X