light leak plants in darkness okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

light leak plants in darkness okay?

Hey, I was wondering if it is okay if I leave a couple of ports open on the top of my dr120 for ventilation if there is some weak light coming in. You can't see your hand when in front of the plants and it is pitch black but the light is technically hitting the reflective surface at the top and was wondering if it is going to cause problems?

No, easiest way to create hermie plants in flowering is a light leak.

Comment

damn I was hoping it was okay cause they were seem like they are in total darkness. I was hoping to cool down the tent a bit more without having to buy an intake fan.

Comment

If you get some air tubing, you can bend it at a few right angles and then connect to your tent and fan. Light doesn't travel around corners well, so putting a couple bends in the line is a way you can keep a port open but eliminate light entering your grow.

Comment

thanks for the advice I will have to try and set something up.

Comment

Safety pin a thin piece of a bed sheet or a piece of T-shirt over your vent. I have a flap that got ripped off my flower tent a little while back. It's still stuck there by the Velcro but it's frayed so much that it's almost half the size it's supposed to be. Have been thinking of doing that to mine but I haven't had issues caused by it yet so I've just left it. I almost feel like if it's used to a small amount of light during the dark period, it should be fine. Don't take my word for it though. I'm actually testing the theory with my White Widow plants right now and so far I don't have any issues (they're closest to the light leak) that I have seen yet and they're at about 5 weeks into flower. If you don't feel like testing the theory, I'd try the sheet idea.

Comment

• ChadWestport
              ChadWestport commented
              Editing a comment
              Good suggestion, I've had pollen filters over the exhaust tube from a tent, because I was doing pollination in there, but darkening the end of the tube reduces light transmission as well. You have a good theory too. Outdoor plants get moonlight don't they? Rock solid genetics, something as trusted as White Widow would stand a much better chance than a cookies strain or something that is already known to be susceptible to herms. Best practice though, eliminate light leaks.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X