Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you re-use coco soil again?

Stupid question maybe but can ya? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

I am but I've replenished the Perlite and I've mixed it in with fresh coco-coir/perlite mix (50% old/50% new). Of course, the new crop is doing well. Let's see how they fare, after 3+ months.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same, mix old with new and precharge with calmag. been working fine for me.

has anyone done it with normal potting soil

Comment

I believe I read in Ed Rosenthal's book that used potting soil is best thrown onto outdoor gardens if it is to be reused at all.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        That is the best use for it.

You will want to give it a big flush to wash out excess nutrients / salts that have built over the course of a previous grow. If your soil previously had pest issues, never reuse it. Used soil can also carry viruses and pathogens. Also, if you had Ph issues before, you need to address that as well before reusing. Most growers do not reuse the soil for those reasons, but also compaction, which decreases available oxygen to roots.. Coco does not lose its soil structure like soil can after multiple months of watering.

That said, it is fairly common for large, commercial indoor operations to reuse coco. You need to flush, amend it and then feed as usual. A proper flush can't safely be done without something to monitor the ppm and EC of the out pouring water. Be sure to do the flush with Ph'd water.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicknick182 View Post
        Stupid question maybe but can ya? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ
        Mileage varies!

I had issues with the whole grow when I recycled my coir and have opted to just replace it.

Note: it is hard to sift out all the organics from the roots.

I think Nebula has a article on this process.

Comment

With Coco being fairly cheap (11-15 Euro where I live)
          would you really be bothered reusing it?

Comment

no worries mate

Comment

Originally posted by growell View Post
              has anyone done it with normal potting soil
              I just started using a product called earth dust and it is an organic mix that you mix in your old soil as long as it's decent and it makes it a living soil that you just do a couple top dressings once you go into flower and optional tea feeding if additional food is needed at the end. They say you can use the same soil over and over and the more you reuse it the better it gets. Like I said I just started using it and I'm in flower now so I can only tell you it's been great so far. Here's a link so you can read it. It's a small company that only has their own products which seems to be top of the line stuff.

TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
              s silver haze... strawberry haze...
              .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
              TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
              2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
              TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
              3 gallon pots all autos
              Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
              πŸ‘‡my one n only journalπŸ‘‡
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

thanks meeasy i have a look at that do u know if deliver to uk mate

Comment

• MeEasy
                  MeEasy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe that they do I have a friend in Australia and he said that they have a warehouse over there

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X