Should I begin chopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I begin chopping

Rookie looking to avoid harvesting mistake. Anybody have any thoughts on if I should harvest these 2 plants I have going (Northern Lights and Amnesia) I have taken 2 branches from the Northern Lights so far due to them folding over I believe from the weight of the buds. I'm trying to push it as long as I can but not sure if the weather is going to cooperate, by the end the week the night temp is going to be in the low 40's and day temps in the 50's for a couple days. I appreciate any input.

Im in the same boat as you buddy..just finished reading this and a couple of others tutorials on the site..good place to start. They are looking good by the way..good luck.
    Harvesting cannabis at the right time is just as important as how you grow the plant. Harvest marijuana buds too soon and you lose potency and yields; too late and you can end up making a batch of sleep medicine. Learn how to harvest at the perfect time, every time! Here's what you need...
    3rd indoor grow in 15 years.

2 x Wedding Cake(New420guy)
    2 x Grandoggy Jones(Connoisseur Genetics)
    6ft x 6ft BudBox Pro White
    4 x 37litre(10 Gallon) Bucket Company pots
    Professor's Nutrients 70% Coco 30% Perlite
    3 x ES 300's (2 x V2, 1 x V3)
    Professor's Nutrients feeding program(slightly modified)
    ISO-Max 200 exhaust fan with filter

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the complement. I have made some mistakes but they are surviving and making it.

What stage to harvest is the growers choice. Clear trics give a paranoid racy high (ya some like it that way, not me), milky is the high THC point and amber is CBN (couch lock), your choice as to what you like/want. I harvest some at the milky point for morning meds, and some with 50% amber for bed time.

Comment

Somehow I like the idea of branches folding over because the buds are to big and heavy 😁

Comment

As a cautionary note, I just finished harvesting my outdoor grows and during the trim I realized I had actually waited a little too long and suffered a bit of damage due to bud rot and an undetected caterpillar hatch.

I was watching the plants carefully and could see they were getting very, very close: Trichomes all cloudy & beginning signs of amber, Pistil hairs all red & curled, yellow leaves giving up the ghost from the bottom up. Sunny days ahead, looking good... Then a few foggy nights, a suprise plague of little white moths and suddenly we were in trouble.

It wasn't too bad, but perhaps due punishment for getting greedy. Isn't it funny how the worst canna problems seem to occur as harvest approaches?

Moral: Don't be too greedy!

Regards,

-Grouchy

My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
        I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
        Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• gman420
          gman420 commented
          Editing a comment
          As a beginner that's why I post these questions every so often to make sure I am in the window and not waiting too long. Definitely not trying to be greedy though. I just would like to make it through the cycle with a harvest and successful grow and learn some things for the next time. Thank you for the input and thee heads up on the issues that could arise from waiting.

• lalaland
          lalaland commented
          Editing a comment
          Awwww That is too bad!
          I just did the almost opposite and harvested 2 of my 4 outside very immaturely as I was worried about them walking away in the middle of the night. It has been very wet and rainy for weeks, with nighttime lows of just above freezing, and I was treating them for wpm. I felt like they weren’t going to do much more before the weather forced harvest, so I may as well.
          The sun came out for the entire week and the humidity got to less than 60%.....
          The plants still in the ground have doubled in bud size( and probably potency) while their sisters shrunk up in the drying room😂😂😂
          At least I still have something to smoke, even if the girls outside get stolen.
          Everything about growing outside is a constant gamble, but I love it♥️

It's all in the trichomes. It is hard to get a good look from your photos, but they may be mostly clear. Get a magnifier and harvest when they reach your desired level of color. The weather is an issue and I would cover them up during the night if you can. Nice plants, good luck.
        Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
        5 gallon cloth pots
        30"x30"x60" tent
        Spider Farmer SE3000
        Coco Pearlite mix
        GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Thank you all for comments and advice, much appreciated. I have a small scope that I have used to check the trichomes on the 2 branches I have cut off and from what I can see they still appear pretty clear for the most part (I am still learning though). I do like your idea Rwise in harvesting some for the morning pick me up and doing some later. I will definitely cover them up OldManGrower and I think I am going to buy a better scope. Thanks again.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X