Nutrient Storage: MY GOD DON'T OPEN THAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutrient Storage: MY GOD DON'T OPEN THAT

So I premixed my nutes for both the veg tent and the autos in the flower tent. Maybe 5 days ago? Eight days?
    Two different gallon jugs, 2 different mixes. Both get bti, the bacteria that kills fungus gnats.
    I set them in different places so's to be con-veeen-yent and not get mixed up. Waste not, want not.

I went out snip my young 'uns, I noticed that the jug for the veg tent was a strange color.
    The Universe really tried to protect me on this one. It was the wrong color. I raised two boys who were athletes and I have smelled just about all the bad smells I want to smell.

You'd think I'd learned by now, but oh no...I opened the cap, gave it a sniff, and just about barfed.

DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200
    Well. Ms Gray-But-Always-Blond also puts poo in the mix, and then she installed a space heater to keep the garage at a comfortable 74F. The other jug was also a strange color - a different color, but still not right either. And f*ck me, but I sniffed that one too...
    (omg, howling now, but for eff-sakes, you'd think I'd learn )
    Apparently the bacteria enjoyed the poo and multiplied, so they also added their own poo happily until they probably died a horrible death in it and then I was dumb enough to give it a good old sniff. Twice.
    I gagged. Again.
    I could not flush the toilet fast enough. Two whole gallons of this evil witch's brew down the pipes. I tossed the jugs after removing my labeling.

Lesson learned: Mix only what you need at the time you need it. Never mix your shit ahead of time and then store it in a dark warm wet environment, like the inside of a jug in your comfortable grow area.
    If you do do that, don't sniff it. Don't even open it. It's not milk. Now it's a biohazard of some sort.
    Better yet, don't do it. Trust me. You can totally take it off your bucket list.
    I took one for the team.
    Still trying to get the smell out of my nose.

That made me laugh... Sorry but 😂

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
      AccidentalGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent! My work here is done! Happy Saturday!

hahaha, that is a great story. I have smelled so many different bad nutrients in my time. I still think one of the worst is super thrive. Man, that can wake up a dead rhino.

Comment

• WeirdWiredWolf
      WeirdWiredWolf commented
      Editing a comment
      I made that sort of mistake exactly once....it was part of the reason I switched to living soil.

Every Spring I make a batch of fish emulsion. Now that is an aroma that is hard to stomach.

Comment

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      turns my stomach thinking about it.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, taking one for the team and stuff. 🤣🤮
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

Lololol You shoulda read my thread where I talked about a stinky plant. Basically not enough runoff let nutes gather in my dirt & go bad. When I bathtub flushed to start the molasses finish it got that stinky shit moving & she picked it up through her roots. 2 days later she stunk bad instead of good. I was only able to git er to drink 2x before she shut down. The finished bud smells & tastes like a bag of oranges that need to be eaten soon. (It was a Jilly Bean)
      I wish I could remember who on here so I could give em the credit- told me you can mix enough nutes to last a couple days- any more can be a bad idea. I learned on my own to dump extra molasses mix in the garden the 1st day lol.

Comment

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        haha, nasty. Good strain though.

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL i did close to the same thing. Thought i'd give my indoor lucky bamboo plant some of the left over fish/guano poo tea i had about 10oz left in my water can so poured it on the plant. This plant sits in outdoor patio so our supper's we eat during summer out there. Well a week or so later of course during a hot spell, i watered the Lucky Bamboo with just plain water and it ran out of bottom on this watering. OMG the greyish/brown poo water filled the catch basin under the pot we sat and wondered during meals " WT hell is that smell " finally saw the pool under the potted plant..........gawwwdd i can still smell it.

Does it happen to non organic nutrients as well or it is just the natural stuff you need to be really careful about?

Comment

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        organics are the main culprit.

WeirdWiredWolf yes. I dumped my nutes down my sink when I switched to living soil and wow did I make a mistake my entire house smelled like straight shit. Thankfully I had made a batch of LAB’s and I poured that down my sink and cleared up the smell right away. Makes me feel bad that there are still a lot of growers dumping that nasty shit into our ecosystem.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X