Is the UK cannabis market changing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the UK cannabis market changing?

Hi all, I'm from the UK and I've not completed a grow yet this means that i am still having to purchase my weed. I've noticed in recent months that there is more and more import Cali and UK Cali grown cannabis strains around which may be a good thing if the price was staying the same, unfortunately it isn't with it going for £15 per gram off some. I myself paid £40 for 3.5g normal price for that quantity would be £25-30. Is this a sign of the UK cannabis market changing or is it just a regional thing? I'm from South Wales myself. Below is a pic of the packet of Backpack boys Black Cherry Gelato i got earlier.
    Attached Files
    3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
    Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
    Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
    Couple of fans for airflow
    First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
    Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
    Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

Just a wild guess here, ive seen people buy packagin and fill with any weed they have and sell it overpriced, people do that here in México with those fancy printed cans. Much easier to buy plastic bags and say it's imported

Comment

• PLreef
      PLreef commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen it here ( New England) as well. People try to pass brick weed as good bud
      Last edited by PLreef; 08-17-2021, 11:47 AM.

Show us the buds!

Comment

9fingerleafs Untill i saw your comment that hadn't actually crossed my mind so i googled Backpack boys. In the results there was a youtube video showing the opening of a pack which was the same as the one i had in every detail as far as i could see so i do think my one is genuine. The smoke is really nice and i've got a nice stony buzz off it. I'll put a pic below of one of the nugs i got.
      I do think though that it is possible that could be the case and will only become more possible over time if imported cannabis becomes more popular. Some of the imported stuff comes in pots/tubs those would be much easier to just stuff any ole bud in and pass it off as being imported.

Attached Files

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as you are satisfied all is well my friend

• buds73
        buds73 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well it did the job lol

• BR2K
        BR2K commented
        Editing a comment
        I perceive dispensaries in Nevada sift their product, before packaging. There's little to no sparkle, like in my grows and your photo.

I'm still seeing the usual stuff about, but I know where I can get Cali and other expensive shit too. Guess it just depends who you know.

Comment

I'm trying to get my head around how commercial Cali-grown weed could be sold in the UK when Cali and Oregon growers can't sell their excess to other states, even if rec is legal in them. Are you sure it's not all grown in Europe from seed produced in California?
        Coconut Grove
        4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
        4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
        32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
        Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          It is not Federally legal here yet, Cali sets on the ocean and the Feds dont give a damn about what leaves the country, just what comes in, or crosses a state line.

• buds73
          buds73 commented
          Editing a comment
          There's probably some that comes from Europe no doubt but here in UK it usually comes as UK grown Cali and import Cali where its imported from though I couldn't tell you

Those buds could have been grown in your own neighborhood. I'm not advertising or suggesting anyone buy from this site, I have no affiliation whatsoever. I'm simply showing how this can happen.

http://https://loudmylarbags.com/pro...ze-mylar-bags/

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          This is certainly true as well.

• buds73
          buds73 commented
          Editing a comment
          My isp won't allow me to view that. I'll take a look on pc after using a vpn but yes it's possible it's grown local although I know roughly where the majority of weed comes from around here.

And if you're thinking it can only be found on shady sites - https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Blac...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Comment

I’d like to see the other side of the bag to see what it says. MJ of any kind (rec or medical) is illegal in my state but I can buy CBD “hemp flowers” and CBD hash. As long as it has less than a certain thc level (I think 3%). My B-inlaw has sent me and my wife some and supposedly totally above board.

Comment

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Hemp is legal in these United States, under 3% THC, it is a step closer to getting the good bud legal.

• buds73
            buds73 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll post a pic of the back soon when I go on pc

• buds73
            buds73 commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a group in London called "Feed the birds" they give away hemp seeds and although it's still illegal to even grow low thc hemp here, its not illegal to feed the birds hence the name. Its all part of the legalisation movement here.

Ive not seen anything bagged like that in Scotland usually mine just comes in a tub I get told allsorts about what it is but take it with a pinch of salt last stuff I had was gash made me racy paranoid fucking horrible thats when I decided to do it myself Ive been dry for last month just waiting for mine to harvest.

Comment

• MagicMike66
            MagicMike66 commented
            Editing a comment
            Another Scot on the forum 🤘🏻

• MrHappy81
            MrHappy81 commented
            Editing a comment
            Im a scot to! Highland

The ‘Cali’ weed has been around in Scotland for a few years or more. It’s vastly overpriced. my old dealer sells 3.5g bags for £70! I don’t care how good it is, I’d never pay that.

Comment

• buds73
            buds73 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch! I wouldn't pay that either. Cali has been around here for awhile too just seems to be becoming more available. What i don't get is how they can justify the price when its just another of the vast amount of strains that are out there and other than the cost of the seeds general growing costs would be around the same. I picked up some stardog earlier which always turns out to be a nice smoke but the price on that was the usual @£10 a gram yet the seeds for that are around £100 for 5 fem, there was a guy selling Gelato no41 yesterday @£15 a gram yet the seeds for that are around £45 for 5 fem. Just doesn't make sense.

• MrHappy81
            MrHappy81 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been offered cali weed before but its not lived up to hype. Had some when i was in Amsterdam and it blew me amd the wife away! I would love to grow it myself mayne one day!

Hi, Here's a pic of the back of pack that was requested. Would have thought it would have the thc and cbd % on there but it doesn't.
          Attached Files

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
            FunkyButtLovin commented
            Editing a comment
            Because it's a generic package that anyone can buy and put whatever they want in it. For a few dollars more they will print you up stickers with whatever numbers you want.

• buds73
            buds73 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahh i see. Won't be buying any more though anyway. It was a nice smoke but i wouldn't say it was worth the extra £10. The Stardog i'm smoking now is just as good. Can get that for £30 for 3.5g

• MagicMike66
            MagicMike66 commented
            Editing a comment
            One of my mates used to be a courier and he said they used to do just that. Buy the bags or tubs, put std weed in it and then sell it for 2-3 times the price!

Originally posted by buds73 View Post
          I've noticed in recent months that there is more and more import Cali and UK Cali grown cannabis strains
          I went to Amsterdam in Feb. and I had a proper laugh. The big thing at the different coffee shops was "we got cali weed", strains like skittles, wedding cake, gelato etc. Shops were asking over $30 a gram and in one place $55 per gram. HOLY SHIT, I pay $8 a gram here for that, and why would I travel there to get what I can here? I'd imagine it is relatively easy to get genetics from the states and bring them over, hek, the scene in the states started by going to Amsterdam and bringing things back. I figured it would work both ways.

But as a person who is in the thick of it here, don't buy into the hype. Many of those strains are great, but $30 a gram, better come with a happy ending if you know what I mean.

Comment

$30 and $55 per gram? There having a laugh I don't think I'd pay that. I think I'd be more inclined to look at the hash.

You've only got to look at the seedbanks to see that Genetics are world wide now but I do wonder about how much different some are when they have similar backgrounds, and with the speed at which some of these new strains are popping up. What bothers me is, will the older purer strains get lost amongst the vast amount of new strains? I have recently started to look at older purer strains mainly indica but I'd like to try something more pure and less fancy if you know what I mean.

I think that's what a lot of it is now, just hype. Thing is it works here because for yrs we've basically only had a few strains mostly skunk, cheese, blue cheese and various types of kush. It's only in recent yrs there have been more varieties. The Cali thing I think stems from it being one of the more recognised places that got legalised and so became a new thing when some got imported. The underground commercial growers have jumped on the band wagon and thought we can make money from this if we call says its Cali.

Comment

100% strains are getting lost. The true skunk #1, that you could smell 300 feet away, that is gone. Plenty of skunk #1 strains out there, definitely smelly weed out there, but man, if you were smoking in the 90's and had true skunk, you'd know.

Things evolve rapidly here (US) and with legal markets, consumer demand is really driving what producers are growing and the always evolving game of mix the hot strains together. In the 80's & 90's people would breed with afghani or skunk, so many crosses were made with one of those two in them, they were proper breeder stock. I look at cookies the way that I looked at those. The old guard has been replaced and now it seems like over half of the legit proper strains have cookies somewhere in the genetic line. And it's odd too, because weed for me existing for a long time before cookies was ever a thing..... which only became a thing because it was the first "branded" weed strain.

The entire gene pool is being narrowed for better or for worse, but we really are loosing a lot of the genetic heritage. We're also coming up with some really awesome winners too. Once again, don't believe the hype 100% of the time.

Comment

• ChadWestport
                ChadWestport commented
                Editing a comment
                Are they the Sensi Seeds ones or are they the Whitelabel from Sensi Seeds? I love that catalogue, Been curious how they run.

• UndergroundFarmer
                UndergroundFarmer commented
                Editing a comment
                Just plain Sensi in a green box. I noticed the logo is different for regs compared to feminized.

• ChadWestport
                ChadWestport commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool, yeah, those are the Sensi Seeds and not their Whitelabel brand. I wish you luck man, let us know!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X