Genetic Foxtailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genetic Foxtailing

I've been pondering this bud style for a few weeks and couldn't really get a good explanation. So I'm using a mash up of several bits of info to reach my conclusion. Bear with me a moment. This is a Barney's Farm Tangerine Dream photoperiod and I'm real close to harvest and so I've been more attentive to the look and shape of the buds and leaves, etc. What I noticed on several buds on high tops and lower and smaller buds as well was a foxtail look. But it isn't on the top. It's all over the place. Almost like a handful of popcorn was inside each bud and just popping out all over. It turns out (from what I could piece together) that this is a form of genetic foxtailing as opposed to a heat or light stress foxtail or reveg. This is normal for this strain but it can catch you unaware and have you chasing issues that don't really exist. I'm nearly all milky with a tiny bit of crystal remaining and some amber showing up. For the final determination how much weight do I give to the foxtails versus the bud proper? Ignore the leaves...old pH issue that is resolved.
    TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
    EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
    AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
    IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

I've seen similar genetic foxtailing on Gelato buds before. Looks awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by OlderNOTwiser View Post
      I've been pondering this bud style for a few weeks and couldn't really get a good explanation. So I'm using a mash up of several bits of info to reach my conclusion. Bear with me a moment. This is a Barney's Farm Tangerine Dream photoperiod and I'm real close to harvest and so I've been more attentive to the look and shape of the buds and leaves, etc. What I noticed on several buds on high tops and lower and smaller buds as well was a foxtail look. But it isn't on the top. It's all over the place. Almost like a handful of popcorn was inside each bud and just popping out all over. It turns out (from what I could piece together) that this is a form of genetic fox-tailing as opposed to a heat or light stress foxtail or reveg. This is normal for this strain but it can catch you unaware and have you chasing issues that don't really exist. I'm nearly all milky with a tiny bit of crystal remaining and some amber showing up. For the final determination how much weight do I give to the foxtails versus the bud proper? Ignore the leaves...old pH issue that is resolved.
      I have gown the same strains twice. the first group was from purchased seeds the second was from creating me own beans.

The first grow did not show any fox tail and the grow went with out issue, the second time I reclaimed my coco "bad idea" and had issues through out including fox tails. For the record I have provided beans to a few friends and they grew out almost perfect...

So my slant is it could be a genetic trait but for me it was a stressed grow..

hey still nice bud...

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh now that's interesting do you think it's the reused coco having that effect? changeofpace2014

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        hey SoOrbudgal - I think it was the result of a stressed grow, when I opted to recycle my coir. Lesson learned. It is a lot of work to buffer and clean new coco, let alone sift out all the organics in the old stuff and rinse ect.

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        hey SoOrbudgal - I think it was the result of a stressed grow, when I opted to recycle my coir. Lesson learned. It is a lot of work to buffer and clean new coco, let alone sift out all the organics in the old stuff and rinse ect.

"For the final determination how much weight do I give to the foxtails versus the bud proper?" What do you mean by that? Foxtail is spongy but the weight is the weight. You may want to squeeze it to make it more dense. Do you have milky trichs under what will probably be clear ones on the foxtails? A consideration for when to harvest.
      I had a gelato grow foxtail on me but mine was definitely heat stress.

Comment

• OlderNOTwiser
        OlderNOTwiser commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm trying to decide whether to wait for more of the foxtails to ripen or not prior to harvest. I may do a staggered harvest over a week or so but I could pull the whole thing now according to the trichomes but the popcorn keeps popping. No matter what I decide to do later this morning she's coming down soon. I'll get better pics and post 'em up.

As I under stand it , fox tailing is a sativa thing, and I certainly see it on some strains. I myself dont see it as bad, each foxtail fits in a bong bowl.

Comment

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        Look at my Thai Chi girls they all foxtailing, you see that when it's a Sativa dominant or if you are lucky a almost pure sativa.

My outdoor Thai is fox tailing every branch i think JDU said this was a trait when he gave me the clone. She's a sativa
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Most of my autoflowers do that a few weeks before harvest - and they are mostly indica dominant.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          But it is also crossed with Ruderalis, and every auto I have grow outside in full sun has fox tailed.

Is it known whether or not foxtails have the %thc as the non foxtailed buds? Foxtails can appear overnight it seems. And the triches on them are clear and not milky like the rest of the bud. At least in my experience.

Comment

Imagine that... an article on foxtailing.
          What makes long thin buds grow on top of your regular buds? And when is fox-tailing perfectly normal? Also, why do new white pistils keep appearing on almost-done buds?

Comment

• OlderNOTwiser
            OlderNOTwiser commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I should have known it was here somewhere. That's a good read.

Wouldn't you know it? Just checked my Durban poison AF and both of them are showing foxtailing. Trichs are almost solid milky and it's a daytime strain so down she goes in a couple of days. Attached is a couple of pics of my AF grow. There are 6 plants total. The lights are Samsung L301b panels (Meanwell drivers) which came as a 2 panels on a single heat sink, from Alibaba. Purchased 2 of them. Cut them in half on my trusty table saw and re-connected them with 1"sq Al tubing.. Works perfect. Spreads the light out much better. 240 watts from the wall each.
          Since then I've purchased 1 of these:

About $20 more but a better light. Same diodes and driver but has UV & IR. I'm going to pick up another one of these. For my 4x8 tents.
          2x4x5' tent, 2 gal pots, coco-loco. Be careful with the nutes and the coco-loco. I nute burned 1 so bad it looked like someone poured motor oil on it. Tossed it. Still learning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200924_113740_resized.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	452399Click image for larger version

Name:	20200924_113726_resized.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	452400

Comment

By the way, I'm starting to think the Durban has the most fragrant smell of all. I may start a perfume line "eau de durban poison" I'm sure it will sell well.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X