Feeding the Beasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding the Beasts

I know there are many schools of thought on nutrient feeding before harvest. In the past I have continued to feed right up to cutting but since I have been on this forum I have begun to question many of my prior practices. Any thoughts or preferences and why you do what you do in regard to the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	feeding.png
Views:	190
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	450903

If i think i only have 3wks till harvest i will give last bloom food 5-10-5 not very strong but that's me. Some like those last 2 numbers higher but i just let it ride. When it comes time to water them again after last bloom feed maybe a week later....it's only my well water & molasses 1-2 tablespoon per gallon. Unsulfurated gramas or brier rabbit LOL i think it's the names of it. They don't drink much and i like to dry out the soil lite as a feather with them in it.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Hey budgal!
      i gave my outside gals 1 tbsp molasses per gallon of water the other day because I was positive that’s what I’d read. Questioned myself after and looked back to the site to see that they’d actually recommended 1 tsp per gallon.
      i see that you’re using 1-2 tbsp and now I’m wondering what the difference would be? I’m gonna assume personal preference, but thought I would bug you instead and ask😊

Comment

I use tablespoon not teaspoon. And yes per gallon. Yes i do not measure it i pour from the bottle into water jug it's a call i've made throughout my growing it's i call it 1-2 tablespoons. I'm an old school cooking person went by the " Julia Childs" methods of measurements. but i never over pour.......unless it's wine

indoor/outdoor grower
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

• lalaland
          lalaland commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya... my tablespoon was definitely a free pour as well! same as my cooking 😜 I just wasn’t sure if I would cause any problems by adding too much.
          Was just going to watch and see until I saw your answer to crutialbunny’s post. Thanks for the feedback!
          My poor outside girls are nowhere near being done either but we’ve had several nights of frost warnings, so likely the countdown is on.

It's all good i guess LOL i may need a shot of " Julia Childs " after this a.m. LOL

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

I'll admit I have ODed my girls a bit with just pouring, or not reading the directions. Most recently I "feed" my girls and well I gave them a triple hit, followed a week later with a full hit, and another week later another triple. The girls complained and I read the instructions again, to late, I have given in 3 hits in 3 weeks 7 months worth of food. Out came the water hose and I flushed them well for 2 days. Once the burns come off they will look better. Water only for the rest of the grow.

Comment

• lalaland
            lalaland commented
            Editing a comment
            I tend to do the opposite with feeding, and wait until they tell me they need something. Seems that most people’s issues are from over feeding ( or the ever famous PH problems 😂)Was getting a bit of a complex about over sweetening them😂
            Maybe next time, I’ll pull out the measuring spoons👍

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            It was time to feed them, I just over feed them.

I like to cut my nutrients back by a third to a half and add molasses. This conversation regarding the quantity of molasses is very interesting. I have been using the teaspoon but I think I 'll try upping it.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Yes i've always used tablespoon or better when adding molasses OldManGrower i'm alot like you with the ferts. I've overpoured molasses one time and still put it on the plants yes it did discolor the leaf but did not harm the plant growth from what i recall. I'm getting shaky in my hands....sign of my times. I sure don't pour the fish/guano tea solution by sight LOL nor my bloom stuff. Man i put these bottle in the tub and pour there i make messes more these days. And really why don't these bottles have better pour spout like laundry detergent bottles. Boy i do waste several tablespoons trying to pour it into a mixing container?

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• OldManGrower
              OldManGrower commented
              Editing a comment
              I use an eye-dropper for the PH down. You can transfer your other materials to old detergent/shampoo bottles or other squeeze bottles. Just remember to label them. Don't rely on the unreliable old memory.

But what about potassium, magnesium, and phosphorous? I continue to give molasses because that's more about feeding the soil than it is about feeding the plant. I'm due for a feeding today or tomorrow on a number of plants that will more than likely be coming down in 2 weeks and wondering if mag and potassium is a good idea. I have read that many people prefer to do simply water during this window and I'm not sure why. I don't use any bottled nutrients so everything I feed is strictly organic in nature.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              That's why i put it into the waterings yes to soil roots and buds. I give last Bloom feed with 5-10-5 yes i use bloom but only up to the last 3wks then i switch to well water and molasses last couple of waterings. Am i making sense?

• crucialbunny
              crucialbunny commented
              Editing a comment
              I understand I think. Sounds like you are of the no nutrients before harvest school of thought. I have seen and know many growers who do that but in the past it never made a lot of sense to me, so I always have fed until cut. I'm mostly curious as to what the benefit of not feeding the last weeks is. I have heard things like it purges the plant of nutrient buildup, or makes a cleaner better tasting smoke. I'm ready and willing to change my practices but I also like to know why I am doing it. Heck, I thought washing product after harvest was batshit crazy but so far everyone who has smoked it says it's a great tasting bud. Thank you for the feedback SoOrbudgal. I appreciate it.

WoW thank you crucialbunny i am not a real good clear thinker last few months been getting more scrambled words thoughts it's the stupid stresses. It's all i knew and it's become a habit i've not seemed to be able to break myself of........i just give water and molasses last couple waterings. Yes to no more bloom feedings when i see cloudy clear trichs i start the water/molass only.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X