Growing without a PAR meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing without a PAR meter

I’m still in the process of procuring all items needed to set up my tent and am looking for ways to cut back financially so that I can afford to indulge in superior lighting. I could save several hundred dollars by holding off on a PAR meter for now and just use the manufacturer’s recommended range for hanging height. Does anybody have an opinion about this? Is a PAR meter a must or can I be successful without one? Thank you guys in advance!

Use your phone there are apps that make your phone a meter or they have little 3 in 1 meters that measures soil ph light and soil moisture for like 15 bucks. Imo having a par meter is at the bottom of my list of necessary equipment to grow MJ
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• buds73
      buds73 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do any of those apps actually work? I got one of those 3 in one things but light meter don't seem to work very well. I've put it next to a household bulb and under my lights the needle doesn't move much. Only use it to test soil ph.

Like has been suggested, phone apps are a good idea. I prefer ones that can do lux, but you can also buy a handheld unit for roughly $30. I'd love to have a nice PAR meter too, but spending $300 to use it for about 5 minutes just doesn't fit the budget. I wish there was a grow rental shop

Comment

For me a PAR meter is a 'nice to have' and not a necessity if you grow with LED's, as I do. But I am in grow #4 and haven't ever used a meter. I'm just now learning about them. If I ever get a chance to use one I might change my mind. As you watch your plants you can see how the light intensity and heat affect them and adjust accordingly.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Thanks everybody, great advice here!

Comment

If you are growing with white LED light, a Lux meter might give you good info. I use a lux meter (20 bucks on Amazon) with my Timber LED grow lights and i find it very useful.
          2x4 AC Infinity tent
          Timber 3VL (320 watt from the wall. (previous HID grower)
          FFOF Soil grower, General Hydro Flora Series nutes
          AC Infinity fans (exhaust and oscillating pole fans)

Comment

I have a lux meter that i really only use to check bulbs to see if i need to replace. Definitely not a must. I would save your money especially if this is your first grow. Learn how to grow without it and you will be better off IMO. If you are looking at PAR you must have a LEC or LED. My LEC shows a far weaker lux reading than it actually puts out so i dont think that a lux meter will work for LEC or LED due to UV spectrum that it puts out.

Comment

I downloaded a photometer app last night, not sure how accurate it is but I used it to move my plants around slightly so that the center of each plant has the same reading. Using it on leds though so like tersky said may not be ideal but can still give you an indication of where's best under the light for plant placement.
              3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
              Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
              Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
              Couple of fans for airflow
              First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
              Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
              Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

Comment

• MeEasy
                MeEasy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep that's what I was saying the actual number isn't that important unless you are comparing it with another light, making YouTube videos, or making sure that your bulb still has enough life left. Perfection is not necessary you are growing weeds once you get the basics down then start expanding and experimenting

It's a nice gadget, but that's what it is, a gadget. This is absolutely not a must have. I have one of those cheap 3 way probes with a meter. It works ok, good enough to accomplish my goals. I try to keep things simple, organic and natural. I and am not "gear centric" and do not intend to get really deep into the technical aspects of this hobby.
              Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
              5 gallon cloth pots
              30"x30"x60" tent
              Spider Farmer SE3000
              Coco Pearlite mix
              GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I'll never own a PAR meter, just not necessary, but I did get the LUX meter Nebula wrote about on the sight. Works great for knowing if the lights are well positioned. Another tool in the toolbox.

An inexpensive lux meter lets you measure that amount of light at a specific point in space - learn how to use this tool to increase your yields!
                Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Good to hear, thanks everyone for this great advice! I’ll definitely hold off for now.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X