Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulbs

Can i use a 600watt hps bulb in a 400watt ballast and light anyone know thanks guys

Just speaking as a guy with a construction/electrical background I would say no.

Comment

I wouldn't put a 400w in a 600w ballast that would probably blow your bulb but the other way round as you've asked i would say yes probably but the ballast will only give you 400w so your bulb would run with only 400w. That would probably mean that your bulb would be much dimmer than it should be and i would have though that could change the spectrum although i'm not sure about that.
      3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
      Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
      Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
      Couple of fans for airflow
      First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
      Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
      Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

Comment

Thanks guys as long as nothing blows that what i dont want to happen i trying to change all bulbs metal halide for veg hps for flower and i just fell across a 400watt ballast and shade but got know 400watt bulbs thanks for replys guys

Comment

• buds73
          buds73 commented
          Editing a comment
          Shouldn't blow anything. Way i see it you can get dimmable ballasts.All they do it lower the wattage going out from the ballast to the light. 400w is under-powered for a 600w bulb. Should be like running a 600w ballast dimmed down a third.
          p.s is dimmable a word? iv'e had a smoke and it just don't look right lol

Ye mate that is a word haha

Comment

• buds73
          buds73 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. thought i was losing it lol

This would not be an effective choice. The ballast does not provide enough wattage to properly light the pressurized gas inside the bulb, meaning even if it shines, it won't be the desired or intended spectrum for optimal plant growth. The mismatch in wattage is enough to stop me, but the above is a scientific reason.

Comment

Cheers mate it was a short term thing till i got a 400watt bulb i will probably just wait now i have heard peoples comments so nice one

Comment

Cheers! I replace bulbs once or twice a year, but usually hold onto one of the old ones incase I have an outage and can't get a new bulb for a few days / week. I've also had to stuff my flower tent with lamp bulbs once..... after that I started holding one of the old bulbs

Comment

I have a 1000W bulb running at about 375W and it's working just fine. Been running it that way for a few months now with no issues.

Comment

• ChadWestport
                ChadWestport commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you using a digital dimmable ballast?

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah it's a 750W ballast dimmed to 50%

How are u running the bulb through what

Comment

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                The reflector hoods are usually rated to handle up to 1000W bulbs and ballasts from what I've seen, so they can fit whatever wattage bulb you put in it. The ballast is the part that actually matters because that's what controls the wattage. As long as your ballast wattage doesn't exceed your bulb wattage, you shouldn't have to worry about a blown bulb or otherwise. I hope that made sense.

• ChadWestport
                ChadWestport commented
                Editing a comment
                Digital ballasts have specialized electrical stepping that makes what you are describing possible. But that doesn't mean your higher wattage bulb is going to run proper from the lower wattage. Check out this article which explains it better - https://growlightinfo.com/should-i-dim-my-ballast/

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I understand that part too. I've been running mine like this for about a year now with no issues yet so I've stuck with it. Too much more wattage and my heat gets out of control.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X