DWC Cooling strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DWC Cooling strategy

Does putting frozen water bottles in your DWC to cool water temp possibly shock your roots? I obviously don’t want to spend any $$$

I tried this with my dwc autos and they did not show any signs of shock. I had early stages of root rot and the ice bottles definitely helped. My plants were only 2 weeks old at the time so there were not alot of roots in the water. It was a pain to switch ice bottles out twice a day but it worked for me.

Comment

I appreciate the advice! I thought the ice bottles would shock the roots but I guess that must be false. I feel more confident to use the frozen bottle method. Thanks👌🏾

Comment

I find my girls seem to be happiest when the rez temps are about 70degF.
        If you use either beneficial microbes or run a sterile system, you have lower risk of pathogens growing in the mix.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Newbie82 I wonder if shock would occur when there is an abundance of roots? Because this problem seems to be a re occurring problem of mine?

Comment

gbauto I put great white shark in my basin to help with the increase temperatures in my basin to help? Not sure if that would help with the high temps?

Comment

I read that high temps have a hard time absorbing the nutes?

Comment

The ice bottles will warm up and melt faster than you would think. I used gallon size jugs in 10 gallons of water. Great white will not help your Temps. It is supposed to help from getting root rot. I was using hydrogaurd at the time and thought maybe it wasn't working so I tried great white as well. The GW didn't seem to help and it didn't mix well in the resevoir. If you want to keep it simple and not spend $ ice bottles will help. I got my Temps down to around 69 f. Also depending on your set up if you have water pumps in the resevoir they will also heat up the water. Again I'm new to this but this has my experience so far. Best of luck 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Manimalistic View Post
                  gbauto I put great white shark in my basin to help with the increase temperatures in my basin to help? Not sure if that would help with the high temps?
                  The beneficial microbes are used to out-compete any pathogens that might inhabit the solution(root rot).
                  That's the primary reason for chilling the rez-producing an environment that isn't conducive for the pythium to grow.
                  The amount of difference in dissolved oxygen levels at 68 degF vs 78 degF is negligible, not enough to cause the plant to fail or suffer.
                  Running a chiller allows you to forgo the bennies, but running bennies or a sterile system also allows you to run without a chiller.
                  WHAT???
                  5x5 grow space
                  900w of Vero's and F-strips
                  4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys👌🏾

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X