Light for seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Light for seedlings

Hi.. So what Light should i use for the very young seedlings(1week or so) cause i only have the 1000w spectrum Led Light and i think its too much watts for them.. Maybe i need another to first weeks, any advice?

Thank you

I used a 60w cfl @ 2-3” for a week or 10 days and then ts 1000 @ 36-40” on 50% power until third node grew out and started to lower light and increase power. Now at about 24” and 100% power and looking good.

Comment

• Xena
      Xena commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine are about the same 18-19 days.....just started sprouting the 5th node.

• Venkman
      Venkman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, one more question, have you started giving nutes yet? I’ve heard you don’t need to in soil at this stage, but always open to advice/ideas 😁

• Xena
      Xena commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not....I started mine in solos in just plain potting soil and I transplanted into my 3gal smart pots right after I moved from CFLs and I think the soil I’m using is pretty “hot”, I think it actually burnt them a little at first so as long as they’re growing good and looking good they’re getting nothing but 6.4-6.8 water.

I like to use T5s for the first 2wks above dirt. You can get them down close without hurting young sprouts and they put off the right amount of heat. You don’t need the big 6 or 8 T5 lights, 2-4 is perfect and you can sprout a bunch of seeds or clones under them.

Comment

125 watt 300watt clf big bulbs can put right on top and they shot up mate

Comment

Just put your light higher to start, like FunkyButtLovin said above. You should be fine. They're not a true 1000W light so they usually aren't as strong as you would think.

Comment

I like using the lower wattage (60w) cfl in that early stage too. You can keep it close enough to give the seedling heat but not worry about light burn / toxicity. Plus they come with that directional hood at the hardware store, no wasted light.

Comment

I used a 4-ft single strip LED shop light from rural King about 8 to 10 inches away do it every time on my clones all the way until they're ready to veg great results perfect temperature. Not strong enough for veg cycle but maybe get you to that point. Less than 20 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by growell View Post
              125 watt 300watt clf big bulbs can put right on top and they shot up mate
              I use two 42 watt cfl bulbs per seedling and they seem to thrive. A desklamp With a splitter socket and two “daylight” bulbs about 2-3 inches above works very well. Economical too.
              My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
              I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
              Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X