Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How low can I top?

Hey guys, first time grower and poster.

I have 4 10 gallon buckets that are dwc. They have been growing for almost a month and it turns out I have 2 very different strains. Two are growing very low and bushy, which is great. But the other two are growing much higher, much quicker. Since I am new to this I have been trying to research how to top before getting to this point. I however had to leave the plants alone for almost a week and the tall plants are now twice the size of the others. I've had to raise my light and I am worried the shorter plants with start stretching.

My question is: how low can I top these plants to get them low like the others and how often should I too to keep them lower?

Sorry I don't know the strains, I got some clones from an old friend that doesn't remember what he cut.

Thank you.

Hey Overflowed, Welcome to GWE forum.
    At one month you should still be able to top the vigorous growers.
    I normally top my fast growing and healthy plants about day 21 or so and usually above the 4th or 5th node as they produce strong branches to support the bigger colas down the road.
    From there you can gently tie down the main branches that are left to spread out the canopy of tops that will form.
    There are many threads or topics on topping and a good primer on GWE.
    Get a summary of all the most common plant training techniques that growers use to increase their cannabis yields indoors!

Others will undoudtedly add some good info for you
    Good luck on your 1st grow.

Comment

You can top the tall ones back to the first tertiary node if you want to, but I'd probably do some healthy super cropping on the tall ones.
      Get a summary of all the most common plant training techniques that growers use to increase their cannabis yields indoors!

I can't make out how big the shorter plants are but I'd try to fold over the lanky plants so they are closet to the height of the rest.
      I tend to let my girls get to about 12" above the lid and then flip
      Let the bent girls recover for a few days to get new growth and let her rip.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Originally posted by gbauto View Post
        You can top the tall ones back to the first tertiary node if you want to, but I'd probably do some healthy super cropping on the tall ones.

I can't make out how big the shorter plants are but I'd try to fold over the lanky plants so they are closet to the height of the rest.
        I tend to let my girls get to about 12" above the lid and then flip
        Let the bent girls recover for a few days to get new growth and let her rip.
        Hey gbauto never heard of the term tertiary node. What kind of node is that?
        Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am going to try what has been suggested above. I am going to top and tie down the branches. Here is a better picture of the two sizes of plants I am dealing with. I am thinking of cutting at the red line. I am wondering what you guys thought and how bad it would be for the plant. I have drawn two other lines, blue and yellow as other spots to maybe cut. I have read about supercropping and do not feel comfortable enough to give that a try just yet.

Thanks again.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X