Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sativa foxtail...

Exactly.!!

"However they will still often develop foxtails. ... To make the most of the pure sativa indoor grow, give them extra attention. They generally don't like too much feeding, too much nitrogen or too much moisture."

or

WHAT IS FOXTAILING?

The cannabis plant features calyces, which are a potential spot for seeds to develop. Particularly for female plants, calyces grow in groups during the period of maturation when they soak up light. This presents an opportunity for foxtails to show up. Foxtails are essentially a bunch of calyces stacked on top of each other to comprise an oddly-shaped bud formation.

Buds that foxtail are not exactly detrimental, but they are not exactly beneficial either. The most glaring setback is that it breaks up the structure of the herb. Instead of growing into a rounder shape, it tends to sprout out in a more elongated way, ultimately leaving less of the plant for you to use. In addition, this process is a common indication that your plants are not properly ripening.

“Bad” foxtailing involves the occurrence of foxtails due to heat and/or light stress. This often manifests in calyces that form spires and make the bud look quite odd.

However, foxtailing is not always an abnormality. There are certain cannabis varieties that feature naturally-occurring foxtails, like in some Purple strains, or the Cole Train strain. This process is more common among sativa plants, specifically buds that were grown in tropical regions such as Colombia or Thailand.

Just sharing information to my growers and also knowing I have some pretty good Thai strains (good pheno) growing in my grow room... Well I'm hoping for lolll hey ??
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

I find my autoflowers - which are mostly on the indica side - almost always develop foxtail near the end. Usually not more that a centimeter or two.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok I did not know that !! Thanks for sharing with us..!

• FunkyButtLovin
      FunkyButtLovin commented
      Editing a comment
      I have experienced the same thing pretty much, nearly all of my autos foxtail to some extent. Some will do almost a full on second and third wave of flowering and buds double in size, some just never seem to stop growing new foxtails, etc. It usually doesn't bother me as long as the foxtailing is frosty. Sometimes there are very few trichomes on the new growth and that is what I consider bad foxtailing.

Here is one of my Thai Chi girl from Aces, a good genetic strain close to a SE Asian Sativa ... The other strains in her are mostly from the same continent except a few. A cross between a (Thai from Chiang Mai province) x (Kali China elite (F4)). No wonder Wife love her effects..!

At her very beginning of "foxtailing" as a sativa. Well I guess so..!
    Last edited by Farmbuck; 09-02-2020, 07:58 PM.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller

Comment

• Sweetsoul
      Sweetsoul commented
      Editing a comment
      This is one awesome plant Farmbuck. As a beginner I hope someday to grow some awesome plants like yours.

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Well thank you..!

I ran out of product a number of weeks ago. My grandson came to visit for a few days and he assumed grandpa still had an endless supply. Long story short, I made a run to my neighborhood dispensary and got him an 8th of top-shelf Gelato and the first thing I noticed was foxtailing on the buds, so it may be one of those strains that leans that way. It's terpine profile reminded me of moldy orange peels. He liked it though. Are the majority of your Thai girls sativa dominate? I have only a single sativa this season that I believe is a Pineapple Express. She seems to be running much later than all the other Indica plants maturity wise and is not as robust.

Comment

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I'm from old school so I try for the less hybrids as possible to grow but then this is my humble opinion. I've got 3 Sativa's growing as we speak. The Thai Chi is the most dominant of the 3. Well that's what the breeder is saying lol. She's 70% Sativa and 30% Indica follow by my Nepal Jam: 60% Sativa and 40% Indica, the others well... Now I'm reading that the most sativa from the past (around the 90's) in 2020 are Western Winds and Kali Mist, a 80% Sativa and 20% Indica.I'm leaning toward Kali Mist from Serious Seeds. She won 14 awards. She's a tall girl and could take up to 16wks to flower. A good project after this grow if I can't go back this winter to the Yucatan. Also I grow for the beauty of the plant. It relax me.

Cheers,

FarmBuck
      Last edited by Farmbuck; 09-02-2020, 08:37 PM.

This one.
    Full auto grow

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X