Wtf are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wtf are these?

Whilst feeding my plants today I noticed it looked like the coco was moving. Then I looked closer to see these. Small white larvae it looks like. Any idea what they might be and what I should do? They’re on at least 2 plants that I can see but plants seem to be fine so far and still fattening up. I grow inside a tent.

They look like thrip nymphs

Comment

If it helps they’re only living in the coco, nothing on the stems or leaves that I can see. The liquid drove them to the surface and now it’s settled they’re back out of site.

Comment

Keep in mind its hard to tell from your picture, way too inconclusive to tell. Best way to know for sure is to google and try to identify them or take a picture trough a jeweler loupe or microscope and post it into a insect identification forum. I had a lot of small insects that lived in the soil called springtails that arent dangerous at all. Just try to make sure what the critter infesting your soil is. Thrips do lay eggs on leaves and they can fall down but if you dont find any of them on leaves they probably arent thrips.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that shodan might be right but could also be aphids look under the leaves for more. Go to the link below it has many pictures of creepy crawlies or damn bugs whatever you call em

This easy picture guide will help you quickly diagnose your sick plants. Learn how to get rid of the most common marijuana pests!
          TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
          s silver haze... strawberry haze...
          .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
          TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
          2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
          TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
          3 gallon pots all autos
          Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
          👇my one n only journal👇
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

Originally posted by SHODAN View Post
            Keep in mind its hard to tell from your picture, way too inconclusive to tell. Best way to know for sure is to google and try to identify them or take a picture trough a jeweler loupe or microscope and post it into a insect identification forum. I had a lot of small insects that lived in the soil called springtails that arent dangerous at all. Just try to make sure what the critter infesting your soil is. Thrips do lay eggs on leaves and they can fall down but if you dont find any of them on leaves they probably arent thrips.
            Aww yes didn't think about good earth critters that process your organics into plant food good call... definitely would make sure what they are before killing em
            TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
            s silver haze... strawberry haze...
            .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
            TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
            2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
            TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
            3 gallon pots all autos
            Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
            👇my one n only journal👇
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• SHODAN
              SHODAN commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah its very hard to say under HPS light and mobile camera. Best way to know for sure is for the grower themself to make research and make a match. Growing cannabis requires a lot of research that just cannot be given from other people only it needs to be a two way street and thats what makes it so much fun.

Thanks a lot for your info guys. I do have a video of them that shows more clearly but I don’t think you can upload videos on the forum.

Comment

Try www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisbug for more help with identification. Dont forget you can always upload your video on youtube and post a link in the comments. If you decide to use reddit for help (they are very quick and helped me countless of times) be sure to add location and a nice picture or video link there as well.

Comment

Thrips!
                I’m dealing with them right now actually.
                and it looks completely like my grow
                Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
                You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
                  CaptainWiese91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve used alcohol. 60 alcohol 40 water.
                  Watered underneath the leaves in the morning and watered just 2 min before lights are out, on the top of leaves. I killed everything

• MagicMike66
                  MagicMike66 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Think you may be right with thrips. The more I look at them the more they look like it. The main difference is these appear to be in the soil - it looks like hundreds when I watered them! I may try the neem oil suggested below.

• CaptainWiese91
                  CaptainWiese91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use neem oil for the soil as well. But I changed to alcohol for treatment of leaves because I saw a huge difference when applying alcohol instead of neem oil.

I think you have thrips too

I spoke to my local weed supply shop, he thinks they may be a type of fly larvae. I’m going in to show him the video. Hopefully it’s not something that’s gonna affect them too much

Comment

Fungus gnats also lay larvae in the soil, looks just like that, but usually very tiny. Spraying the topsoil with neem oil would be my first tactic for just about any pest. A couple of good sprays, letting the topsoil dry out in between, should kill any larvae/eggs. Hang sticky paper to catch any that make it to adulthood and if you've not gone into flower yet spray the plants themselves and you should be free of pests in short order 👍

Comment

Mix neem oil into a hot batch of water then once it cools water your plants with it. It’ll kill the larvae and eggs

Comment

• MagicMike66
                      MagicMike66 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Do you know what ratio you use?

• bboyfromwayback
                      bboyfromwayback commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There’s some instructions in the label. I had gnats once and used a couple tbsp per gallon. Water needs to be fairly warm so it’ll mix properly. Just make sure to ph the water like usual and clean the ph pen well afterwards. Sucks though, that’s supposed to be a positive for coco, bugs don’t like it
                      Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 09-02-2020, 03:22 PM.

• Damngrower
                      Damngrower commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Add a little dish soap to the water too, it helps to mix the water and oil.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X