Topping advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topping advice

So was planning to top this C4 autofem multiple times but a week after topping it seems to already have started flowering...should I top again and if so - where!?
    Attached Files

Usually you dont top auto plants since it stunts their growth and lowers yield. LST auto plants to maximise yield.

Comment

• SHODAN
      SHODAN commented
      Editing a comment
      Also its a bit hard to tell from the picture due to noise but the leaves dont look good, something could be wrong with them.

This is a bit better image...

Comment

• SHODAN
      SHODAN commented
      Editing a comment
      you have thrip damage on the leaves

There's nothing wrong with topping autos, it does not stunt them or lower yield when done correctly which just means to wait until the plant is big enough but before it starts to flower.

Do not top after flowering has begun!

Comment

• SHODAN
      SHODAN commented
      Editing a comment
      How so? Every topping i did always stunted growth for about 3 days if not more. Those are days you lose growth on autos since they will flower no matter what at the same time interval.

• FunkyButtLovin
      FunkyButtLovin commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not going to argue this morning, maybe later after more coffee and some dabs. Just look around, there are plenty of people topping autos with great results.

So just LST now? I was experimenting with different approaches and topped one above node 4 and one above node 5 after it had 6 nodes...wish I had better instincts for defoliation...

Comment

I've topped my first autoflowers and they're growing fine. Trying LST on my newest one to see if there's a huge difference or not. So far I haven't noticed a significant difference between them except the shape. Still pretty early though so I have time for it to prove me wrong. This is the article I read about the subject, I found it very informative.
      by Nebula Haze Yes, you can top an auto-flowering plant that is growing fast and healthy. For example if it has grown at least 4-5 nodes (pairs of "real" leaves) by the end of week 2. Otherwise it may not be growing fast enough to handle topping without getting stunted. Read on to learn more!

Comment

I've always topped my autos and the new " hacker " is being flagged
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

You will see the difference in yield if both plants have the same variables and are same genetics. Also ive read the article already and i never had sucess not stunting the plant for a few days after topping it.

Comment

Every post here is correct - some strains of autoflowers don't like any topping or training - i have one now - topped and she's still sitting at 10 inches tall.
            ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
            Mars Hydro
            Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Other than a autoflower flowering automatically it’s no different than any other plant, if it’s healthy topping it won’t bother it at all. Just like a photo though, once it starts flowering you shouldn’t do any more topping.

Comment

I top my autos but I do it very early in their growth cycle, your plant is already flowering so I definitely wouldn't recommend it now. LST will be a great success for you now. Gently bend the branches to expose more of the plant to direct light.

Comment

I have both success and failure with topping autos. Mostly success but its a question of timing and probably strain dependent. I would not top that plant again if it did not go well the first time. And not if she is showing hairs.
                  Indoor grow. LED, Soil. Autos.

Outdoor grow. Autos, fem's, bagseeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...944-grow-diary

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback - wasn't trying to hit a nerve, just grow healthy plants...Not sure why a person PM'd me to suggest diatomaceous earth to treat an observed potential bug issue. I have that right in the barn and was an easy treatment - why might anyone else observe a harmful situation and not recommend a solution in the thread?

Anyways, DE applied and will be vigilant for bugs from now on. Cheers!
                    Last edited by SageSteele; 09-02-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X