eggshells and nutrients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eggshells and nutrients

so i have a question can i put ground up eggshells in my soil for calcium to my plants and will it work while im using synthetic nutrients?

Yes and Yes, it is recommended to wash and dry the egg shells first, some bake them. Also be aware this can and will affect the PH of the soil, so you may want to add a bit of pelleted sulfur with it..

Comment

• quirk
      quirk commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a fallacy Rwise. Eggshells won't affect soil pH or be a viable source of nutrients. Not trying to be a smart ass,
      just relating true info concerning eggshell and gardening.

Eggshells are great to use in acidic medium such as peat since it makes them react quicker and therefore the plants absorb them easier. Plants cant absorb eggshells in their natural state they need to react with an acid and break down for the plant to be able to use them. If you arent using an acid medium you should dry the eggshells and crush them grind them with a mortar and pestle and mix them with acidic water (water with a bit of vinegar). Also note that eggshells wont break down after soil reaches ph of 6.8 you need stronger acid than that.

Comment

Yea it will work while you are using synthetic nutrients.
      I do the same. But as Rwise is saying, be aware of the Ph.
      my Ph tester can measure the soil also. This is why I have no problem with organic and synthetic nutrients together, as long as the Ph is on spot
      Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• BigTrees
        BigTrees commented
        Editing a comment
        ok cool my ph i keed around 6.5 how bad will the ph jump?

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends on the soil you are using and the nutrients.
        I can only say what works for me and my soil I’m using. But I’m using a pretty standard soil.
        I use citric acid to adjust the Ph in the soil and water

I have found that egg shells take a really long time to break down naturally in soil. I added crushed shells to my vermicompost back in February and they still look like the day I put them in. Worms don't seem to want to have anything to do with them. What I do now is boil them, strain it off and add Epsom for tea.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course boil it. I did mentioned that, sorry

You're gonna need a lot of eggs. With crushing to a fine powder and boiling, then placing in an acidic soil, approx. 0.2% (4mg) of the available calcium and potassium will be available to the plant, six to eight weeks after incorporating. Dr. Jeff Gillman, " The Truth about Garden Remedies." It's "bro" science bro.
      Last edited by quirk; 09-06-2020, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• crucialbunny
        crucialbunny commented
        Editing a comment
        I just finished reading about this in Garden Myths. For years I had heard how great eggshells are for soil but was always dubious because the shells seemed to just not ever break down. When I started my vemricomosting bins one of the main ingredients I was encouraged to use was eggshell. They're still in there. Thanks for bringing that up quirk. Saved me a lot of time and hassle in the future.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        We used egg shell in the garden to kill cut worms around the tomatoes.

Happy to help crucialbunny.

Comment

Why ??????

Comment

PRIMO Because!

Comment

I've always put my egg shells in my compost pile. They're usually gone in about a month. I don't use this compost for MJ though because I also compost all my coffee. Great for the flowers and veggies though.

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
              Bowhunterwoody commented
              Editing a comment
              I do turn it over often though. It gets pretty warm.

Originally posted by BigTrees View Post
            so i have a question can i put ground up eggshells in my soil for calcium to my plants and will it work while im using synthetic nutrients?

Let me be clear, Egg shells will be of no benefit as a calcium supplement for your cannabis plants. Period.
            If you want to do something functional with eggshells, wait for Easter.
            Last edited by quirk; 09-07-2020, 11:02 AM. Reason: Getting rid of "bro science"on this forum.

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I feed mine back to the chickens so I dont have to buy so much oyster shell for them to eat.

Egg shells in soil are good for stopping slugs or worms attacking plants its like glass to them only way to get plant to absorb it is by baking them and mixing it with distilled vinegar mate

Comment

Soil has sulfur in it, sulfur + water + time make sulfuric acid, this will dissolve the egg shells, slowly depending on the PH. Higher PH is slower, lower PH is faster. They will also buffer the soil a bit

Comment

Originally posted by growell View Post
                Egg shells in soil are good for stopping slugs or worms attacking plants its like glass to them only way to get plant to absorb it is by baking them and mixing it with distilled vinegar mate

This is another myth growell. Egg shells are not sharp at all and will not negatively affect slugs or worms what so ever.
                You're just being silly. Place a saucer of beer nearby or use a product called Sluggo.
                Last edited by quirk; 09-07-2020, 05:25 PM. Reason: Spelling error.

Comment

ok mate over here in uk we use it on our allotments for growing veg also copper strips for slugs didnt mean to put worms my misstake i didnt mean for cannabis i meant in general

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X