Regeneration of plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regeneration of plant

Hi, I was planning on trying to regenerate my plant after harvest. Has anyone tried this with an indoor plant? I've done a good amount of reading and it seems quite interesting? If plant genetics are good then why not try to get a second smaller harvest in a shorter time? All the root system is in place and functioning well, so why not? Thoughts on this are appreciated

It would be cool to do but I dnt think it would be worth your time when u can just start a new plant

Comment

Yes I've revegged quite a few plants. I've lost a couple that didn't take. Leave quite a bit of foliage/bud on the plant when you harvest it, like the bottom third. One trick is to make sure that it's not heavily watered around harvest time. Once you cut most of its foliage off at harvest, the plant essentially becomes a much smaller plant and will take much longer to drink a pot full of water. Also it's undergoing some major changes, growth process seems all but shut down, and it will often just sit still for a week or two. So don't overwater. In fact just put it in the veg room down out of the brightest light and leave it alone for a while.
      When they grow back they produce some strange looking growth for a while. That sorts itself out eventually. They're also very bushy after they reveg- shoots everywhere.
      I have some plants start to reveg within days of putting them in the veg room. I had another one that took six weeks before the process got underway. Usually it's two weeks before new growth is really sprouting up and another couple weeks at least before it's looking like a somewhat normal plant again
      Last edited by Weasel; 01-18-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting!!! And helpful!!

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good write up, lots of info and easy to digest. Thanks

Very cool! Thank you for the great response, it makes me happy knowing I got a shot at keeping a nice plant going!

Comment

It's a good last ditch option when you want to save a strain. Treat it well through to harvest and maybe keep it in light nutrients and harvest in the early-mid harvest window as opposed to flushing the hell out of it or harvesting it late when it's all but dead (as I often do).

Comment

Weasel, what kind of yield do you get off of the plant the second go around, as compared to the first harvest?

Comment

It's really the same plant to me. They shoot out a lot of branches in the beginning as I said. I prune most of them out, grow them to whatever size I want, which is generally the 10 gallon pot size.
            I don't notice any difference in yield but I'm not a super yield junkie so I'm never in there with a scale measuring slight differences. To me yield is mostiy a function of plant health. I grow to fill the available space with bud, and try to keep the plants happy which is a constant challenge.
            Maybe someday when I can grow them start to finish in 100% health, I'll start noticing little yield differences using 'yield enhancing' tricks.

I remembered I actually have a little plant I'm trying to reveg right now. I pulled it out of a hempy grow about a month into flowering because of root rot, repotted it and put it back in veg to get better/bigger. It's been in the veg room two weeks now and hasn't really changed from when I put it in there.
            Last edited by Weasel; 01-19-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

If you want I can post some pics of the progress of this current reveg. It's just a scraggly little sick thing from the root rot and could just die you never know.

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha you are funny Weasel: you talk about scraggly, sickly, moldy, whiney plants but you have hordes of drooling idiots (your friends) breaking down your door to get more!!!! I bet your weed is DOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weasel please bring all your knowledge--it'll bring all the girls to the yard.
              "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Well thanks. 'Friends' do that sometimes I guess. True, not all my plants are sickly. This one was going to die if I didn't replant it.
                I went and looked at the revegging one and it's doing fine and not getting worse. It didn't have many roots left when I took it out of the perlite and put it in sunshine mix and back into veg. It was one of six very small hempy experiment plants which I had to abandon.
                I think it's going to work fine and I think I see the barest beginnings of some revegging happening so I'll post some photos of the process over the next few weeks or whatever.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6767.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	44828
                This is a Peyote Purple plant. I grew a little version of this plant (from a different seed) one other time and it was the frostiest thing I've ever grown. I put this into the veg room just after New Years so definitely a little over two weeks ago. I transplanted it, fed it some very light veg nutes, and threw it in the corner. That's about all has happened.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6768.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	44829

Excuse the out of focus pic but I'm too lazy to go take another. Right on the top of that bud are a couple tiny brighter green looking leafy spots. I'm betting that this is the beginning of it revegging and we will see more and more weird looking leaves start to grow out of the buds.

Note that this is the only visible growth in over two weeks. All the other foliage is exactly the way it looked when I pulled it out of flowering and it hasn't moved a millimetre. Which is normal.

This isn't a typical reveg because normally we would be looking at the lower stalk of a larger plant, which had been raped and pillaged of most of its buds, and- being at the end of harvest, would have much less foliage, mostly just bud. Whereas this is a much leafier plant that I just pulled out of flowering early. The process is the same though.
                Last edited by Weasel; 01-19-2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

That's really good to see. From what I read on revegging the plant the 2 week time frame for them sitting dormant is right on schedule. But soon you should see some shooters coming out and you know your on the right track! Very cool

Comment

Thanks guys. Best to bring yours inside McRuderalis. I don't think it can survive outside over winter. Would be too much work to try even. Whereas inside even with just some cfls and a minimal space you could reveg and overwinter it. For one plant in veg you wouldn't need a special space or any odour/venting type setup.
                    Last edited by Weasel; 01-19-2017, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Weasel, I would have thought that the little tiny bud or two left on plant should have been topped off. I don't know why I think that, I just do. Would it not promote more new growth lower on plant, just like topping a plant started from seed?

Comment

No not at all. The reveg growth occurs from the buds themselves. You'll see what I mean if this one continues to reveg.
                        In fact for me a normal post-harvest plant will only have bud left on it. By the time I harvest a plant there just aren't any healthy fan leaves left on the plant. So this plant is unusual because I pulled it out of flowering early.
                        Besides which- it's not an issue because that's just not where the growth occurs- it's out of the buds. Oops -said that already.

Comment

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I just assumed the growth occurs by new shoots growing from nodes. IF I ever try this, not at all sure that I will, I now know to leave some of the scrawny lower buds.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X