Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Grower Here!!!

Well......

Ever grower face a different set of environmental challenges from the rest, what works for me may not be ideal for the next individual and that is why I love this forum. It's a broad spectrum of different styles and setups from multiple levels of experience giving this place it's sense of Family and collaboration, each and every grower on here learns new thing! even the "experts" so essentially from time to time we're all new growers especially when we step out of our normal.

The Back story: just skip to the pictures if you don't want to hear me talk

I have problems with heat like most cannabis growers that run Hid light and my best solution has always been, grow perpetually for 10 months and at the end grow a stock pile to last 4 months, shut down all but a couple 100w fixtures for July and August. I fight heat at the beginning and end of my grow year enough that the two month of summer heat make it 1) environmentally unstable and 2) not cost effective running AC on top of Hid light so I have just shut down.

This down time allows me to clean everthing, perform need maintenance and take a break from my daily cannabis heaven. This year was no different then the last at the beginning, but I didn't get that break. I cleaned my hoods, glass, ducking, fans, heater, shelves, walls, floor, bottles, ect..... replaced bulbs and decided to upgrade my ventilation from one 6" donut fan to a couple AC Infinity cloudline T6, my new idea is that one fan runs at low to medium 24/7 and the other added fan and filter only kicks on at higher temperature and this should help with that beginning and ending year heat, I also had a concern about one of my hoods wiring and decided I was going to replace my hoods.

I start looking around for new or lightly used hoods with my mind set on a couple 6" blockbusters, eBay was a bust, no luck with Craigslist or market place so I went to the local grow shop and to my surprise 6" hood are being discontinued, quite a problem to find, some of the off places on the net just produced more Cbd and erectile dysfunction junk mail, but come on man who doesn't want to be a Nigerian prince dating hot younger Asian women high on CBD with Boner medication right! right.

It became clean to me that I wasn't just a old grower but was become a outdated one, that Lec and Led had hit that point Iv been waiting for, not wanting to leave the Hid world in the past couple years had become a thing of the past. It was time to bite the bullet and move up to LED. Now I have grown led before but at a small scale, NebulaHaze did a article ( https://www.growweedeasy.com/mini-gr...led-grow-light ) about the HLG 100 in a small tent with Autoflowers and pulled over a grams a watt so last year during my down time I threw one of these in my veg table and grew some autos, to my surprise I pulled 1.30grams a watt, I can hit .80 of a gram consistently under HiD and this was some that lead me to LED, the other factor was the heat thing.
    Autoflower have never been my thing, I just don't have the space and the grams per watt don't add up for me. Most new to average grower pull 2 to 4 oz per plant every 3 months under 24/0 or 20/4 with rare exceptional grows being upwards of a pound per plant under heavy lighting and ideal conditions, running 2 months at 18/6 and 2 months at 12/12 pulling 8 oz per plant by my math is less power and more grams, keeping mothers and running perpetually cuts the cost of seeds. I have grown autos but always under low light or just throwing a plant in the back but never been something Iv given a real go full heartedly at till now.....

That nail biter moment:

I decided to purchase from Growers Choice (2) ROI-E680 for my flowering room replacing (2) 600 hps (1) ROI-E420 for my veg table replacing (1) 400 watt MH (1) Hlg-100 and (1) master controller replacing (3) wall timers, the features of the master controller was the deciding factor over HLG. The reviews on this setup clam 30% lose of heat over my Hid lights, lights can be 6" yes I said 6" from the plant and great PAR readings hitting 1300 to 1500 umol/2 (HLG PAR was higher but at a cost and no integrated controller). Other factors was programmable auto dimming and shut off for heat/high temperature, daisy chaining 100 lights per controller, two separate temperature zones for two different groups of lights. Perfect for me in theory.

It has been a couple years since I have done a actual complete Grow Journal here so I have a treat for you folks

I'm a "new" LED Grower trying my hand at Autoflower( cough cough) with a added bonus of a Photoperiod Grow all wrapped into one Journal to boot, I'll start this journey with the autos and pick up more on the Photo's a little later. I'm going to need some help with the new LED from someone so please chime in.

Autos: passionfruit feminized
    Germinated on August 1st, 3 of 4 sprouts on the 8th, the 4 surprised me on the 15th so 21day and 12 days
    Under 420watts led dimmed to 63% at present 24/0.
    Fox farm trio (5ml, 10ml, 5ml) with cal/mag(5ml), Si(5ml), every watering with micros(2.5ml) and root drench(2.5ml) alternating.
    Coco 60% perlite 40% watering about every 2 to 3 days when the pots are lite when lifted.
    Temps running 70f to 84f and RH 50%
    3 gallon smartpots

The last 8 day:

The 21st leaf has reach the side of the pots.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200821_211948.jpg Views:	18 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	441987
    The 23rd 3 auto( aboue the third) and 2 Photo( above the third, removed the first) were topped, my 2 Blue Dream clones were potted in 4" they're behind the grape ape and I should have cut them when I dropped seeds.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200823_111921.jpg Views:	20 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	441986
    The 25th started some training
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200825_115757.jpg Views:	17 Size:	2.06 MB ID:	441988
    The 26th
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200826_145031.jpg Views:	17 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	441989 The 28th
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200828_203719.jpg Views:	17 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	441990 and this morning the light went to 90%
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200829_075338.jpg Views:	17 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	441991

Thank you all for taking the time to read or just look at the pictures, seems I wanted to talk a little today. I'll be updating this over the next three months.

Growers Love.
    Last edited by Mr.furley; 08-29-2020, 05:54 PM.
    You're killing me Smalls!

I’ve been thinking about changing to autos with LED so I’m curious to see how these turn out.

Comment

also curious about decent led i useing 600watt hps keep us posted mate

Comment

Nice post! I am fairly new to this forum although I have been reading it for a long time and have seen your answers helping younger growers. In my opinion and perspective we are all still learning with every grow, like all face new challenges in almost every grow that gives us valuable insight moving forward. I hope growers wanting to become better at this craft take the time to read your post! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yup - It was a good read Mr.furley - Those will keep you busy.

But seriously - great start - they look like aliens with antennas coming out the top. Great color.
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Looking forward to you're final assessment my good sir. I have switched to lec primarily but have often wondered about led's. They seem to be getting better and better every year so i may have to get some eventually. Trying to figure out which led's are good and not a rip off has been my main reason for not trying them yet...and money...always money lol

Comment

I have looked seriously at Growers Choice LED's and consider them a high end LED. That may be my choice when I finally build a dedicated grow room.
              With your experience I think you will surpass your best grams per watt easily. I have hit 1.3 grams with my LED's growing autos.
              GL Look forward to your new grows rookie.

Comment

Yes would love to see how it does. Looking to upgrade my 4x4 tent. Currently looking at the growers choice, two electric skies 300w or the new Kind X2.

Comment

LOL! Talk about click bait..hahahaha. I read the title and who posted it..how could i not check in. Those are some beautiful lights and system upgrade Mr.furley. I\v only used LED's so i have nothing to compare with other grow lights. I went LED's because i knew heat was gonna be a factor with my grows. Happy so far..looking to upgrade soon so i'll be keeping an eye on this new grower. See how he make out. lol. Good Luck. (cant believe i just said that to furley)) too funny.
                  Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
                  Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
                  6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
                  Canna Coco/perlite
                  General Hydroponics Flora Series
                  Cal/Mag.

Tent
                  Bruce Banner
                  Kushy Kush
                  2Cookies and cream

Comment

I have had no issues with heat with 2 450 vipars drawing 400watts from the wall in my indoor tent which i close up now cause they are in flower when lights out. I do not have a fan inside but outside rotating when i don't have AC going ( we rarely do ) never got above 83f. Outdoor porch tent the same setup but smaller tent. I just find the LEDs great improvement. But i live in PNW more southern end abit less humidity than others and dry. So Mr.furley you are gonna love them
                    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                    indoor/outdoor grower
                    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I switched from T5s with a few LED replacement sticks to a pair of Platinum LED panels and I never looked back. The T5s are now for seedlings, clones or stuff I don't want growing fast. It's rare that I ever completely retire any grow equipment!
                      Coconut Grove
                      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
                      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
                      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
                      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

I am going to follow you on this adventure. Something you said before now stuck with me back from when I first saw it. "I'll never flower in July or August again." I am PNW, but at the tippy- top of the US. Since I didn't plan anything this year, including growing pot until I was already growing it (thank you, stimulus check - I was thus stimulated, lol) , and I was fighting our weather from the time those first plants went into the tent. I didn't mess around, but it does take some time to catch up to the rest of the class if you've been wandering the halls of fame and failure on GWE, which I did for a month before I joined the forum. It has been hotter than a whore on dollar-day the last several summers. Days on end of 90+, then add some fires to that...really hot.
                        So I started with some inexpensive LEDs and a fan/filter appropriate for the tent size.

Summer never really materialized in NW WA. We had gruesome weather - all over the map. Destroyed almost everything in my outside garden except the wildflowers. Wet and cold until August and then wet and hot for a week. Now its fall. Crisp at night. Never warmed up or dried out, but it hit 90 two days in a row and everything out there not dead already died from shock, lol.
                        But none of it ever came. I've been up here for almost 10yrs, and in WA for 30+. I had to run a space heater in the garage most of the summer. But the humidity, omg! It was wetter outside than inside and we still needed SCUBA gear. My garage doesn't vent to the outside unless I raise the door an inch or so. Had a little dehumidifier that fits inside the tent. Lots of fans circulating air.

I listened to the experts and got to the end without losing anything - not a single leaf-before its time. Mr.furley : "I will never again flower in July or August".
                        Holy. Me neither, lol.

I'm going on this ride with you. Safe journey!

Comment

Originally posted by USMCnoviceMedical View Post
                          Yes would love to see how it does. Looking to upgrade my 4x4 tent. Currently looking at the growers choice, two electric skies 300w or the new Kind X2.
                          Well I went with the Kind X2 CGL. I still can't wait to see how this grow turns out and how well the light does.
                          Last edited by USMCnoviceMedical; 08-30-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I love my leds, dimming alone is really worth it to me. You can simulate sunrise and sunset is a cool feature. I will follow along to see your experiences. Good luck!
                            4x4 flower tent
                            sour dream
                            Blue Diesel
                            Trainwreck
                            platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
                            Green Dream
                            Sour Dream
                            blue dream
                            Freakshow

Comment

Sounds like you have a great set up. Im gonna tag along. Im a " new grower" but like for real. Ill have pad and pencil ready. Looking forward to seeing your progress grow.
                              5x5 Gorilla tent
                              Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
                              Infinity T8 exhaust fan
                              Technaflora nutes
                              Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• JohnEmad
                                JohnEmad commented
                                Editing a comment
                                those spectrum king lights are top shelf too. You should have some nice grows.

• PLreef
                                PLreef commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Its definitely made a big difference on my grow since installing it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X