Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Vivosun 315 W LEC light lasted 120 days, warranty good for 30...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Vivosun 315 W LEC light lasted 120 days, warranty good for 30...

I figure the ballast went out. I use a battery backup/surge protector too. I guess I won't be buying any more lights from them.

So, I have my original 128 watt COB assembly filling in. I am at 63 days since germination (photoperiods) and 29 in flower...sigh.

I am now researching my next light. Any experienced LEC/CMH users out there with recommendations?
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Growers Choice.
    Space for Rent.

Comment

I have a sun systems 315 lec 4 years no problems.

Comment

I've found that companies don't like bad reviews and are usually willing to work something out with you. I had a shipment of seeds get busted. Although I didn't buy the guaranteed shipping, they replaced my order. Had a couple t5's that started falling apart in three months. The company had replacements in the mail before I sent the bummers back. Send Vivosun an email about what happened. Shipping and purchase information helps. Let them know how your light is setup. Don't be a jerk about it. Just give them the facts and mention you got the light on recommendation from a friend.
        Not that you would be a jerk?
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          Wise words that I will heed.

The pandemic has allowed me to sharpen my word-smithing skills. I am currently fighting a spam "lead company" that employs misleading advertising for mortgage protection insurance companies. I have the North Carolina Department of Justice checking to see if their business license is current and have demanded they change their ads. I'm distracting myself, while hopefully making things a little better for everybody.

I'll be crafting a (hopefully) thoughtful email to the good people at Vivosun. They discontinued my model (Hm, makes me wonder) so I don't know what they may be willing to do for me. Rest assured, I will record the call and report back my results.

I agree wholeheartedly about being a jerk. I reserve that for unacceptable results, especially where safety is concerned. I can be a VPPTC (don't ask) when warranted. I like to get my ducks in a row, as to what will make my odds the best for a favorable outcome. With this, Murphy's Law apparently got me. I tried to do my due diligence. The reviews were glowing...until AFTER my light failed.

Take a look at your electronic pieces to see if you can find a fuse. Maybe look at any insructions.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, nothing. I may just take it apart, after the final word from Vivosun.

Vivosun has stood by every product of theirs that I have purchased. Usually beyond what I would expect. Give them an email an some time I bet they will fix you up.
        4x4 flower tent
        sour dream
        Blue Diesel
        Trainwreck
        platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
        Green Dream
        Sour Dream
        blue dream
        Freakshow

Comment

Now you see, right here WHAT A GREAT COMMUNITY WE HAVE?! I probably will go with Grower's Choice because I think the Sun Systems has glass between the bulb and the plants. I feel pressure, to get a new light ordered ASAP.
          A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

No glass no worry's

Comment

My potentiometer (dimmer switch) went and broke on me when I was putting my HLG together. I emailed the vendor, who got in touch with HLG, who sent me two switches on their dime. The lights ain't cheap but my 360 is brighter than the sun and looks like two hedgehogs on a teeter-totter. It hasn't been a full grow since I got it so I don't know it's entire efficacy.
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6

Comment

I emailed Vivosun support but don't expect to hear anything back until around midweek. I have my new grow light on order. If Vivosun comes through, I will have a ready backup. One thing I'm learning - ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP!

Comment

• Gingerbeard
                  Gingerbeard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I won't get rid of any of my grow equipment, no longer how I have it. They are backups to updates. The only way I'm tossing anything is if it breaks.
                  This grow, I will be using a 2x3 tent with a Viparspectra 350w LED (both first pieces) to late veg and flower a plant or two while my 4x4 is doing the heavy work on four. Without hoarding equipment, I'd only be looking at 4 plants instead of the state legal 6. Even still have my t5's. Some twistie ties. One gallon pots. Fans.

• UndergroundFarmer
                  UndergroundFarmer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a good rule. My original grow cabinet idea (a Sterilite cabinet with shelves) proved unsuitable for the purpose. It now houses nutes and assorted grow paraphernalia. I'm always finding new uses for stuff I sidelined a year or two ago.

Any updates on this issue?

Comment

• BR2K
                  BR2K commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've had no response to my email, that I sent last Saturday. I just tried calling. No answer and their message box is too full to accept new messages...

• FunkyButtLovin
                  FunkyButtLovin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmm, I had high hopes that they would take care of you. They still might, I'm sure they're busier than ever and understaffed right now so I wouldn't freak out on 'em or anything. Just keep your cool and take care of your ladies in the meantime and maybe Vivosun send you a new light when they get caught up. Which model do you have and were you happy with it before it went out?

• BR2K
                  BR2K commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've already got a new LEC on the way. So far, the little 128 watt (from the wall) COB LED is keeping my girls alive. I'm pleasantly surprised and will note it for power outages. I can't provide over 315 watts for very long, if my power goes out. I can manage much better with 128 watts.

My Vivosun is an Armour model and I was very happy with it. It was sensitive to power fluctuations, however. I had one (I mentioned in one of my previous posts) fluctuation that illustrated the importance of having surge protectors/battery backups. I do prefer my new Grower's Choice light in comparison. The small reflector form factor allows significantly broader coverage in my tent. The Vivosun reflector is a large affair that actually limited the coverage. There seems to be less shadow under the canopy but that might be the 3k bulb, IDK.

If Vivosun comes through, fantastic. I love the other products I purchased from them. If not, lesson learned. I perceive this is like a rite of passage, on the road to being a competent gardener.
                  Last edited by BR2K; 08-29-2020, 10:04 AM. Reason: New information

I still think they will get back to you BR2K i sure would not let it go but i'm a 63yr old no BS granny.
                Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                indoor/outdoor grower
                1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Once again, thanks to our awesome members! My new Grower's Choice 315 W LEC is blazing away. I can almost hear the trichomes popping

Update on Vivosun: No answer as of Aug 29th. I did try their oniine query avenue, yesterday. If ALL else fails, I have a plan to cannabalize the reflector for solar cooking experiments.

Comment

UPDATE: My last attempt to contact (their online form) Vivosun worked. Apparently, whoever they host with acts as an intermediary and they forward any communications to Vivosun. Here's what someone wrote (edited for brevity):

"Dear customer, Thank you for your email, The warranty is actually 3 years for our ballasts, so the ballast is still under warranty.

But have you tried different bulbs on the ballast, i.e., MH, HPS and other bulbs from around your house? If you are sure the ballast is broken, we can probably issue a refund to you."

"For any refund/replacement, could you please provide:
                    1. a short video showing the problem and we'll review them;
                    2. a picture of the bar code/serial number of the ballast.
                    These info are needed to for us to report the problem to the factory.

After confirming the problem, we'll figure the best solution for you.

Best regards,
                    Vivosun Customer Service Team"

Now, to go quadruple-check the defective light, before making a video...

Comment

In my last post, I was going to try the light one more time, before sending in the Vivosun 315 W LEC light...the test worked!

I try to be an honest person. I wrote Vivosun and explained the situation. Their reply is: "Thank you for contacting VIVOSUN.
                      You could reach out to us at any time if there is something wrong with the ballast.
                      Have you checked the power, i guess maybe there is some problem with the plug or power."

This was my reply: "
                      Thanks for your reply. Yes, I checked the power cord, the outlet and the timer. After the first incident, I purchased a UPS/surge protector and thought I was good.

Unfortunately, my plants suffered for the malfunctions. I don’t trust the light at this point. It has been replaced.

Regards,"

I totally get where they're coming from but I know I haven't been the only one to have this problem. My other Vivosun products have been top-notch. I would be a little leery of their LEC/CMH lights though.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X