When to use Nutrients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to use Nutrients

Hello, I started a seedling in a pot of tomato plant mixtue as I was told that this would see the plant thru from the vegetative stages all the way thru to the flowering stages. My question is this please. My new seedling which is only approx 5
    inches tall ATM some of the leaves are already starting to brown on the tips. The two bottom first leaves are already brown. My lighting is at the correct distance and I dont have it on full power as yet because its only a seedling. ANy advice please as Im not sure if I need to add any nutrients at all already even though I was told I wouldnt need any due to the growing medium its in. Thanking you all once again.

Burnt leaf tips is usually a sign of nutrient burn. Without a picture it's difficult to offer any advice. Soils that claim to last for weeks or months is often pretty hot.

Comment

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      Target carries a brand called EcoScraps that is a great starter medium. I just looked it up online and last month it was $6 for a cubic foot and now it's shot up to $8.50. Still a bargain though. I recommend adding pearlite and coarse sand to it before planting because it can hold on to water..

If leaves are browning your using to much nutrient for the plants size. Pictures always help. Just as stated above.
    4x4 flower tent
    sour dream
    Blue Diesel
    Trainwreck
    platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
    Green Dream
    Sour Dream
    blue dream
    Freakshow

Comment

Never use soil with "timed release" nutrients for cannabis. There are several much better soils to use that are low maintenance. Dont need to feed nutrients often. But the type of soil you were told to use is not ideal. Most likely necrosis from nutrient burn.

Comment

• Lew
        Lew commented
        Editing a comment
        ok thanks . Any recommendations on the soil brand if it can be purchased in bags?

Promix is a good choice

Comment

• Lew
        Lew commented
        Editing a comment
        not sure if that brand is here in Australia but ill give it a go on searching for it, thanks

I think I know what tomato mix your refering to. I just saw this with a neighbor and what I have found is A) too hot for seedling, but they will push through with patience. B) they hold alot of water and I mean a lot which translates to over watering issues. It needs to be completely completely dried out between waterings. If you continue to use it there should be no need to use ferts until well into the bud stage. But your plants will tell you that
      As for a soil recommendation: Promix HP is good and alot of people use it. With this you will want a good fertilizer. I couldn't get promix for my current grow and I picked up bail of Sunshine Mix for $25 at Lowes. (See pix) So far I think I like it better than Promix. I did use my ferts through all stages of growth and found it a little hot for seedlings. My next grow I will only fertilize late into veg and bloom.
      Without any pix I hope this help
      Attached Files
      3'x3'x6'6" Sun Stream tent
      1000w Tolys dimmable Samsung Lm315 diodes meanwell driver
      1000w Tolys led (burple)
      Soil: sungrow's sunshine professional grow mix.
      Ferts: GroTek Monster Grow Pro, Monster Bloom and molasses
      No name towerfan 12" oscillating fan humidifier​

Comment

• willythepic
        willythepic commented
        Editing a comment
        I use sunshine with25% crevette composte and feed it only when strech and bloom

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X