Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GWE forum was down?!

Howdy Growers,

Yesterday, the forum was taken offline by an attempt to hack the forum. I say "attempt" because they didn't access anyone's information and instead tried (unsuccessfully) to place affiliate links for Hulu into all previously existing posts. 🤷‍♂️

How were they able to do this? A security vulnerability was discovered in our forum software. The developers of the software released a patch to plug the security hole, but not before a number of sites were affected.

Although the attack seemed pretty straightforward, we decided to go back to the previous backup just to be double-safe. Unfortunately, our backups are so large that this took us back 5 days into the past (to 8/8/2020).

We've fixed the security hole using the patch provided by the software company and we've increased the number of backups so this won't happen again.

We know this is inconvenient. We are searching for alternative software with fewer issues, but as of now, most forum software seems to be on the same footing.

Excellent work repelling boarders! Arrrr!

Comment

Programming is ever changing. You fix one thing and something else opens up. The important part is the response time in which you guys reacted...

And really? Hulu? Come one guys. At least post a good service. 😂
      Have some fun. 😌

8 x 8 x 5 Camping Tent
      300W full-spectrum light

Locally Sold Soil (0.04- 0.01 - 0.01)

Humboldts Secret Calmag & Iron (2-0-0)
      FlowerFuel (0-34-32)​

Comment

• Xena
        Xena commented
        Editing a comment
        They figured you’re stoned so you might give Hulu a shot.

Nice recovery, and great job on the security side.
      Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
      A tale of two seeds
      Batter Up Sour Deisel
      Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
      New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
      Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Yea I kinda missed not being able to log in and catch up. Good job getting us back online. Thanks.
        4x4 flower tent
        sour dream
        Blue Diesel
        Trainwreck
        platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
        Green Dream
        Sour Dream
        blue dream
        Freakshow

Comment

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          Right?
          Mornin coffee was incomplete lol.

You guys recovered pretty quickly. I really enjoy this site. Thank you for all you do.
        5x5 Gorilla tent
        Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
        Infinity T8 exhaust fan
        Technaflora nutes
        Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I agree, you guys are awesome about taking care of us. Thank you for everything you do here.

Comment

Many thanx for keeping the site clean and free from of scams! It is so nice to have a place that is not ate up with flashy adds as almost everywhere else is.
            Now if we could all attack the attacker,

Comment

Thanks for taking care of the pests invading our grow. Hope it's not a water too often like problem.

Comment

Great work! If you haven't yet, I would casually be looking for forum members with cutting edge web development experience.

You have a fantastic network, maybe one of your "disciples" here can make it better. Don't be afraid to seek help from the people you two armed with knowledge. That goes for any topic.
                A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• dphipps1020
                  dphipps1020 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very true. Hell, I'd do it if I had the knowledge, for sure.
                  Last edited by dphipps1020; 08-15-2020, 03:22 PM. Reason: Damn autocorrect

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X