Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Need advice on plants per space/lack of density in bud

Hello everyone,

New to posting, but been a reader for some time. I am looking for some advice on A few questions:

First, how many plants would you all recommended for my setup? I currently use the following:
    • 4x2 Vivosun Mylar Grow-tent with air filtration kit, fans etc.
    • Viparspectra UL Certified 450 watt LED Grow Light: I’m using 2 of these
    • 5 Gallon Grow bags
    • 420 potting soil with liquid kelp nutrients added frequently

Second, I have been growing for 2 years now but recently switched from a closet setup to the setup above in the hopes of more fruitful yields, and I completed growing my first 3 plants inside the 4x2 tent. They looked/smelled great for the most part, but after harvesting, drying, and curing the density of the weed just wasn’t there. I was certain to always have the lights the proper distance from the plants. My air circulation is great. Temp, humidity, PH Levels etc all within proper range.

Perhaps I am under watering? Perhaps my LED lights are not strong enough? Crap seeds (Crop king and Seedsman)? With the research I’ve done, I feel the grow lights should be sufficient, but I am coming here to see what you all think.

I love this hobby, and want to have the best yield I can, I think I just need some advice on what I could be doing wrong, and an end to my frustration

Thank you all in advance

Usually airy bud is a low light issue but basically if the plant is stressed too much during flower then bud development can be stunted. It took me 2 years to yield more than an ounce per plant. Last grow was 2-3 ounces per plant. It takes time to learn how to properly grow dense buds (unless you are lucky). I think your lights are fine so the issue is more than likely something else. Not sure on the soil or nutes but not having enough phosphorous can stunt bud production. Check out the links for more info.

by Nebula Haze Bud density isn’t everything… but it sure is nice! If your cannabis buds keep coming out light and fluffy and you’re not sure why, this article will break it down for you. Learn exactly how to grow the densest, most rock hard cannabis buds possible. Example of dense marijuana buds. Looks and...

Discover the top 5 reasons buds become loose or airy, then learn how you can produce dense buds every time!
    Last edited by Tersky; 08-07-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I've used this same light i've got 4 of them. Takes time like Tersky took me few grows and learning distances and flowering especially. Now i'm nearly 4yrs indoor still got those lights and i am very happy with the bud quality. Seems like a 4x2 would be great for 2 in there? Are the walls white or reflective? How are you doing with distance at a month old seedling? I'm at 18-20" from top of plant to light during flowering and i move the plants around not light. I shift them because i grow 4 photos at a time or 6 autos at a time.

Seedsman is fine for buying seeds. Once you get more confident you will just click and it will happen. I start them with t-5 or CFL i've never done young seeds under my LEDs.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I now grow two in a similar area ( 28"X49"), I tried growing more plants the first year I started back to growing but it was a pain and yields were not to good. I switched to two plants and it seems to do much better. I have never bought from seedsman, may try in the future.
        Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
        A tale of two seeds
        Batter Up Sour Deisel
        Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
        New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
        Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

You’re using plenty of light for a 2x4 tent. Strain/genetics plays a big part in bud density and size as well as plant age. A longer veg would help but then you’d need a bigger tent for flower.

Comment

Rapid drying can be a sure way to get larfy bud. It's possible that your problem is occurring because of drying and curing. I had 2 plants that I harvested last year and because of very hot and dry conditions that week I ended up with loose brittle product. The 3 plants I harvested 2 weeks later turned out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SoOrbudgal View Post
              I've used this same light i've got 4 of them. Takes time like Tersky took me few grows and learning distances and flowering especially. Now i'm nearly 4yrs indoor still got those lights and i am very happy with the bud quality. Seems like a 4x2 would be great for 2 in there? Are the walls white or reflective? How are you doing with distance at a month old seedling? I'm at 18-20" from top of plant to light during flowering and i move the plants around not light. I shift them because i grow 4 photos at a time or 6 autos at a time.

Seedsman is fine for buying seeds. Once you get more confident you will just click and it will happen. I start them with t-5 or CFL i've never done young seeds under my LEDs.
              First off, thank you to everyone for your input, much appreciated.

The walls in my tent are reflective and I generally keep the lights at 24 inches through seedling stage and move down to 18 inches for Veg- Flower state. I currently have 2 Northern lights (auto flower fem) and 1 Strawberry Cheesecake (auto flower fem) that have all just popped up. I use Maxicrop Soluble Seaweed as my only nutrients from seed to flower, so I am open to suggestions on additional nutrients if there is anything specific anyone would recommend.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds good everything your doing just rotate the 3 so that they get that sweet spot in center of LED i have to move mine around just to do training or watering. My lights are 18-20" from top of plants during flower so your sound right on. Not sure unless it's strain thing. My last harvest was a haze auto strain, which came out rather fluffy buds it's just the way they grew i'm not sure but the smoke is OK for early taste test still kinda green though another month true test.

high heat can also cause loose airy buds.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X