Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these male pollen sacs forming alongside white pistils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these male pollen sacs forming alongside white pistils?

Hello,

I have a purple punch that started 12/12 about a week ago. It is just bag seed. White pistols have started to form, as you can see in the pics, but I’m not sure if there are also early male pollen sacs forming as well.

I have had bag seed plants herm in the past, but it’s always happened further into the grow. I’ve never had one grow pollen sacs alongside the first white pistils, but I’m pretty new so any insight is greatly appreciated.

thank you!

You are correct I see both male and female bits.

Comment

I believe you have a hermie
      Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
      A tale of two seeds
      Batter Up Sour Deisel
      Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
      New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
      Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

What a bummer...thanks for both the confirmations. I have a quick follow up....

Is it worth it to let this plant finish flowering outside? Or, since the pollen sacs are so small still, is it possible to just pluck them and keep an eye out for more?

I have had plants where just a few pollen sacs show up fairly late into flowering and Because there was so few, I was able to just carefully pluck them and let it finish flowering. The buds turned out pretty well too. I’ve also had the other side of this where a plant herms and the buds are basically just bunches of seeds in the end. To note, not all the purple punch buds have the pollen sacs forming (maybe about half do). Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Yes you can just pluck them and continue flowering. But... If you haven't fixed whatever stressed her out enough to herm, she will continue to do so and it will be a neverending battle. If you can figure out what made her herm and fix it, she will stop producing male parts. I have a few doing this right now, I think due mostly to heavy defoliation. I've had a few in past grows as well. You may still end up missing a pollen sac here and there but it's not a huge issue. You may still end up with a few seeds here and there but it shouldn't be bad. On a positive note, any seeds you do get will be female. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the helpful info.

About the cause of the stress...could it just be that it is a bag seed so it just has bad genetics? The only thing I’ve really done is topped it at the 5th or so node, but that was a long time ago.

Comment

Thank you for the response. So since I grow these in my sunroom, I built a tent in my basement I use for 12/12. The one thing I’ve been concerned about with the tent is the lack of air flow the plants receive when they are in there (it is about a 3x3x3 wooden frame that I cover with a tarp and some heavy duty covering that is pretty heavy and does not allow any light to seep through). Could this be the cause of stress? I have been working from home so I’ve been able to meticulously manage the temp, humidity, etc. of the sunroom, so I don’t think it is something from the sunroom, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• dphipps1020
              dphipps1020 commented
              Editing a comment
              If there's a lack of air flow, that can cause an issue. You want fresh air exchange if at all possible but also good circulation. I have oscillating fans in my tents for circulation and decent exhaust in each as well. Most people have something similar set up. I'm not sure the tarp will be breathable enough for the fresh air exchange but a fan inside will help your circulation, if you don't already have one.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X