" OPINIONS FROM THE GWE FAMILY"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

" OPINIONS FROM THE GWE FAMILY"

Just trying to figure out my first grow?....I would love all of your opinions on 600watt MH lights. Are they to strong for one week old Auto Fem seedlings?....

Just move the lights farther away. Two or three feet, and move closer later. Or if you have the need to save a little power then use a fluorescent for the first couple weeks.

Comment

If the light is far enough away it would be ok, but it seems like a waste of electricity. I use 600W for flowering, but prefer my T5 (8 blub 200 or 400 watt) for veg and CFL for seedlings. Just my 2c.
      completed 7 grows
      what I have learned so far:
      environment maters more than nutrients
      at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
      effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Some light ballasts come with the ability to reduce the light to 75% and 50% to lower the intensity. My iGrow does this. Have a look at yours. If it doesn't, the next time you buy one look for that feature. It really helps if you're limited on funds to have multiple lights. It also saves from have to switch out lights if you only have one tent to grow with.
        Fast Buds GSC & Green Crack Auto's

Veg:
        4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LED's - Flora Trio + CalMag

Bloom: 4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LEDs - Flora Trio + CalMag & Superbloom

“…marijuana is one of the safest, therapeutically active substances known to man.” – Judge Francis Young (DEA)

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
          William and Sue Ashley commented
          Editing a comment
          I do have dimmable ballast. I originally had them on 600watt MH....about 24" away and the hand test was fine, it was far from to hot. But nonetheless I was drying them out like crazy...I lowered to 250watt and also raised the light to help them recover....

• Green75
          Green75 commented
          Editing a comment
          You also need to raise your humidity...

Your light issue is kinda weird...
          Let's see a pic...

My veg 600w is dimable as well. At the lowest (300w) setting the plants almost have to touch the bulb to get burnt.
        The switch gets used often- to slow down or speed up growth,
        Small seedlings stay down on the floor in the early days- get raised up later, or just left to grow up. There's a constant juggling act going on to speed up and slow down different plants at different times.

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
          William and Sue Ashley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Weasel....working on things right now.....exhaust going in.....

Thanks Weasel....Green I have some pics that I put up yesterday.....tent is 4x8x7....I have 2- 600watt vivosun in the tent. They have a dimmable ballast...After reading some of GWE...it is possible to have to high of lux......or to much light....it was not a temp issue. I had the 600watt MH bulds in and had them about 24" away.....I was able to keep my hand there without any problem for minutes....I now have them set at 250watt.....I am going to address the RH......

Comment

For flowering you need to change the bulb to a HPS. MH puts out the wrong spectrum for flowering. Blue = MH, Red = HPS.

Comment

Thanks Kingfish.....I have the MH in.....These are newbees around 1 week old......

Comment

Originally posted by kingfish View Post
              For flowering you need to change the bulb to a HPS. MH puts out the wrong spectrum for flowering. Blue = MH, Red = HPS.
              I'm a newb here but I would like to know experienced user opinions on using a 4K MH bulb for flowering (600W). I'm currently using T5's (6400K) for my starter grow, but plan to switch to 600W MH (6K) for vegging. I was considering using the 600W 4K MH bulb for flowering, with the last two weeks under a 600W 10K MH bulb. I'm also open to a 600W HPS (2K) for flowering; primarily looking for opinions on the 600W 4K MH bulb for flowering. Thanks in advance!
              Agromax XL tent, Sun System lo-pro Mag XXXL, SolisTek Matrix ballast, SolisTek MH/HPS bulbs, GH Flora Trio, CO2 bag, 3 gal Air-Pots.

Comment

Welcome....everything I have heard says 600HPS...for flowering....Happy Growing....

Comment

• StoneyTony
                  StoneyTony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like I need a new light...... Yeah another toy!

600HPS that's what I used as well for flowering.

Comment

Is this a trick question? Like the DMV.

Comment

I guess what I was trying to offer is that a 4K MH bulb seems pretty close (in light spectrum) to a 2K HPS bulb, theoretically. Just wondering if anyone has used a 4K MH for flowering; the manufacturer states the 4K MH bulb can be used start to finish.
                    Agromax XL tent, Sun System lo-pro Mag XXXL, SolisTek Matrix ballast, SolisTek MH/HPS bulbs, GH Flora Trio, CO2 bag, 3 gal Air-Pots.

Comment

My MH bulb is rated at 6,500K I do not know what my HPS bulb is.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X