Compost brought or homemade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compost brought or homemade

What's people thoughts when it comes to growing medium at the moment I have my first plant in shop compost but I also have a batch of home made which I have had going about two months. Its made up from coco, my shop compost, coffee grians, bannan and orange peel egg shells and a few other bits and pieces. What does every one else use and think?????
    Last edited by Sticky8579; 07-15-2020, 03:42 PM.

I've had good results with store purchased humus soil, it's a 90% (I think) decomposed organic compost, and I mix it with the cheapest organic potting soil with perlite included. However my best results come from my Colorado clay soil I've been amending for a decade now, and putting them in the earth with organic nutes. My garden area is still more of a brown than I'd like, but dig down 6" and it darkens a lot closer to that ultimate goal of black gold. My first year growing we tried happy frog potting soil and it was pretty nice. This year is my first year vermicomposting so I will have probably a few hundred pounds of worm castings and rich home made compost to start my grow next spring.

Comment

• F10werChyld
      F10werChyld commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds delicious!

I've been making my own and the results have been extraordinary. I have 2 worm bins and the beneficial bacteria and enzymes have really helped with maintaining a very balanced PH, stopping fungus growth, and gnats. I am able to recycle all my old soil and I use high nitrogen table scraps in one and high potassium/phosphorus in the other. When I fill my containers I will add sand, pearlite, a little chicken shit, and some peat. Most store bought organic mulches have everything you need but are dead. Meaning, they cook it to kill off anything living it for shipping and to stop fermentation in the bag. So while it has all the nutrients, it isn't a living soil any longer.

Comment

Not sure if I want living are just some really good home made? What time frame would you say before I could start to use my own I was thinking around the six month mark

Comment

• Smerft85
        Smerft85 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are going with soil, you will want live soil, the enzymes and bacteria help fertilize your roots, they'll also break down any compost material such as the leaves you defoliate later.

So what would I need to add to make it a live soil and is the up keep any more of an effort

Comment

If you start vermicompost now, by spring youd have good live soil by using the castings along with even your store bought stuff, the enzymes and bacteria from doing vermicompost will help bring the store stuff back to life over time. I love having a worm farm, so many benefits! You can also buy beneficial bacteria and such usually in the same place youd buy nutes, some nutes will have beneficial bacteria in them as well.

Comment

• Sticky8579
          Sticky8579 commented
          Editing a comment
          Am looking at adding some worm casting bat shit and some klep meal over the next few weeks but I haven't really got the space to add live worms at the min

• Smerft85
          Smerft85 commented
          Editing a comment
          My worms are separate from my grow, I use what they produce for my garden if that makes sense.

• Sticky8579
          Sticky8579 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah a get what ya mean

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X