PH issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PH issue?

Hello, is this plant suffering possibly for a PH issue? If not other input would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...

What kind of soil is that ??
    Do you have any perlite in it ?
    what is your Ph? Do you know that ??

looks quite burned to me....
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Hello CaptainWiese91 and thanks for your feedback,
      The soil is https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kellogg-...-681/100160888 and I have not added anything to it.
      The PH is a light blue that per the color chart is in the low 8's range (to high I suspect) using the Mad Farmer PH Control Kit. Per the water company's web site 2020 measurements the water's average PH is 8.3.
      This is measured from the tap used to water the plants, not runoff.
      Problem is I have 4 15Gal Smart Pots and to use PH down every time I water is not practical. I have in the past grown some really outstanding plants without having to make any PH adjustments to the water used (same faucet).
      Any other suggestions as to how to deal with to high a PH without adding PH Down every time I water will be most appreciated.

Comment

• Korn
        Korn commented
        Editing a comment
        If you go to the website using the link you provided above and look at all the reviews that gave only 1 or 2 stars you will see that others have had the same problems you are having with your plants. If I were you i would either start over again with new soil and new seeds or transplant what you have into new soil of a different brand. That soil is basically ground up wood.

You already know your answer. Your Ph is way too high..
      I suggest you buy a Ph meter and measure the levels correctly instead of these strips..
      Sometimes you can get lucky and wing a grow to harvest without measuring PH levels. But not every time.

its pretty Normal To measure the PH down or up every time you give a feeding, water or nute feeding, it’s the same.
      when I want to get my Ph down in my bottle, I just add some citric acid from a organic lemon, and then measure it with a Ph meter. It’s really simple.
      I have 25 plants and I don’t think it’s unpractical to measure the Ph ? I just make my bottles With Ph’ed water the day before, I want to water the plants.
      cant really see that is unpractical??
      Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

If you don't pH your water everytime you'll be saving money cuz there's no sense in even trying nutrients.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Will he be saving money on not PH his water ?

• Canuck147
          Canuck147 commented
          Editing a comment
          Won't encounter nutrient lockout cuz the plant cannot absorb nutrients if they are not in the desired pH parameters. So he doesn't need to waste any money buying nutrients is all i meant.

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          I see 😁

If you want the outcome that you envision when you plant that seed, you have to put in the love. If I ever neglect my girls, they notice! So I don't do that anymore!!!

Comment

Hello again,
          I have a PH Meter and yesterday bought the test kit I mentioned above as a second check. My water is hard here and obviously has an elevated PH. Again however I have 2 other plants that are doing fine so far. As I mentioned earlier I also have had very good luck over the past couple of years with my plants so while the PH in the local water is in the low 8's it's the same water I have always used. What else may be this plant's problem? There were a number of hot days recently (100F) or is this plant just a lemon for the lack of a better word? Has anyone tried using alternative methods to bring the PH down like distilled white vinegar or some other home remedy? Thanks again for the feedback and take care all...

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea citric acid as I mentioned above

High pH usually locks out phosphorus (P) and magnesium (Mg) as the major nutrients, so maybe try a little boost of a good, organic vegetative food, and maybe a dose of cal-mag?

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct. Phosphorus is best obtained with a Ph in the 6,2-6,4 range.
            Cal-mag also, but not under 6,2..
            the problem here is the Ph for sure

Good morning all,
          As I mentioned above I have 2 other plants that appear to be doing fine, same dirt, same water and from the same nursery; from a different outlet approx 2 weeks after I got the first plant which I pictured in my initial post. Any thought as to why these 2 seem to be doing better?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            These look bad not good so whom ever is telling you this are in good shape are lying. These are starved, underwatered now is the time to quickly fix the problem we are giving you our ideas and comments. Study what marijuana needs are and there likes. They are very basic plants.

Gonna be honest with you Sarge. None of the plants look that great. Your soil mix has a lot of wood chips in it which are a source of carbon that microorganisms will break down if there is available nitrogen. The soil microorganisms will strip the nitrogen away from your plants, so to accommodate you will need to supplement your soil with additional nitrogen. That being said you really need to get your soil pH down to the 6.2-6.5 range. To do this you need to irrigate with water that is adjusted to pH of 6.0-6.2 using a source of acid such as citric acid as suggested by CaptWiese or some other acidic source. Not sure if vinegar (acetic acid) is the best source for this but you could check it out. Vinegar will definitely lower the pH of the water. I would look into commercial formulations used to lower soil and water pH such as Iron sulphate in fertilizers used to lower the pH for flowering plants such as azaleas, camellias, and hydrangeas. Once you get the pH down and feed them a balanced fertilizer with NPK, you may see an improvement. It may be too late for the tiny plant. Good luck.
          If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

FYI I Googled using vinegar for lowering pH for cannabis and found some info on the 420magazine.com site that reported success using white distilled vinegar for lowering the pH of the irrigation water.
            If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• Xena
              Xena commented
              Editing a comment
              I too google searched for lowering ph. As was mentioned earlier lemon juice or vinegar came up, I had no lemon juice but did have white vinegar so this morning checked my water (8.4) added 1T to a gallon and it came out 6.3

Kellogg's uses a lot of animal waste in their products and it can burn the crap (bad pun, sorry) out of roots. I have a Kellogg's site not far from where I live and the manure smell is strong in that area. I did one of my early grows many years ago in one of their products and it was a horrible experience.

Comment

Good morning all,
              I really appreciate all the informative feedback everyone has provided over the past few days. For starters I am going to use Fox Farms products as per their instructions to boost the nutrients and at the same time use a 2 gal watering can with some Vinegar added so the water's PH is within the desired limits (verified) instead of watering via a hose straight from the faucet. Hopefully that will turn things around fairly soon so I don't have to change out the Kellogg dirt and re-plant except as a last resort. I can't believe this hasn't come up in the past but I am where I am presently. Have a great weekend...

Comment

PS: here are some pics of my efforts last Fall

Comment

Good morning all,

FYI I checked out the website Korn suggested and found a straight forward article on using distilled white vinegar, https://mattgadient.com/my-attempts-...d-citric-acid/. So I did some testing with my water jug and found that when I put 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar in the 2 gal watering jug, mix it thoroughly I get a measured PH in the upper high 5 range. So, I am watering Mon, Wed & Fri, 1/2 gal each, with that and Fox Farms trio also added at the same time per their directions. On Sundays I flush each plant with 1 gal of PH'd water only to keep the nutrients from building up to much. I have attached some pictures of the results which clearly shows improvement (#1 is the plant in my original post and #3 & 4 are the same plants posted by me on 7-16-20, 6:27 PM. All are beginning to flower now and I think it's time to thin out the fan leaves etc... So, Thanks again to Korn for his suggested website and everyone else for all their helpful feedback and keeping me pointed in the right direction. Stay healthy and safe...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Korn
                    Korn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good job Sarge! Looks like you saved them. Hope you get some sweet smoke.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X