Pruning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pruning

I've just harvested my first plant, and noticed that a good deal of what I got were the little leafy buds in the lower half of the plant. I expected as I realized about halfway through flowering that I should have done more pruning. At that point I was afraid to do any as the flowering phase already seemed to be far behind where I thought it should at that point and I was afraid of stunting or shocking my plants.

So my question is this, how late is too late to prune those little suckers off the plants without causing problems? Up to the switch? Up to the end of the flower stretch? Some other point? I'd like to see if I can do better with my next plant
    stoner, lapidary (a different kind of stoner https://forum.growweedeasy.com/core/...ies/tongue.png) and sometimes silversmith
    ~4' x ~4' x 7' grow box
    bloom plus LED 300W
    green crack 5 gallon dwc for the lulz
    Wifi og and snowcap dream in 5 gallon dwc still in the closet under some lame veg light

I start trimming those little sprouts off usually the first time i do a defoliate in veg. I'll do it again just before flip(clean up the clones), once their in flower, just keep pinching them off as they pop out.. Heres a plant i just cleaned up a bit after 12/12 switch. Im trying to avoid as much popcorn bud as possible.
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Comment

Yep homegrown told you correctly. Very good to trim lower half, less chances of mildew with these types of bushy plants. What gal doesn't like a bit of wind under her skirt........LOL
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks, I'll make sure to do that for my next set
        stoner, lapidary (a different kind of stoner https://forum.growweedeasy.com/core/...ies/tongue.png) and sometimes silversmith
        ~4' x ~4' x 7' grow box
        bloom plus LED 300W
        green crack 5 gallon dwc for the lulz
        Wifi og and snowcap dream in 5 gallon dwc still in the closet under some lame veg light

Comment

I begin my node count with first multi-finger leaf set and when I reach a healthy node six I bend main stem 60-70 degrees to break apical dominance and remove all growth under node 4. For me, this eliminates unproductive growth and allows for easier feeding and training.

Comment

I've had a similar experience to yours.
            As I accumulated more grows, I found that clearing out smaller tertiary branches is best.
            All of those small sucker sites won't receive adequate light intensity to develop decent nugs.
            As to what to remove...that's your judgment call.
            I've also done staged harvests by removing the top colas and allow the lower bud sites more time to ripen. Not always worth the effort, so this is where you will need to decide if that shoot has any potential.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X