Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New grower - wedding cake - NEED ADVICE HINTS & TIPS

Hi guys,

so i got some rooted wedding cake cuttings around 3 wks ago, ive currently got them in 1 litre pots and when the roots have come through them I'll transfer to my autopot system. I'm using Shogun Fertiliser A + B and shogun Calmag a lot with root tonic. They are currently under a cfl which is around 8-10 inches away from the plants. They look ok the pots drys out after about 1.5- 2 days so I think they are absorbing the nutes well I also use bottled water with a PH between 5.5 - 6, I am getting worried because I haven't seen the roots come through the bottom of the pots yet I feel I may of packed it too right however they are getting taller. Some of the leaves are starting to curl and dry out (only a few) I don't think it's the light as it's a cfl and they're not that close to the plant.

can I also ask - what does purple stem signify? A lot of my plants have purple stem ( I actually received them that way) but going up the plant they are green.. is this a problem?

Please see below of pics I took today of plants, I am serious need of some advice as to how I go about with the routes and whether I should start topping it etc etc the roots don't smell either so there is no root rot - but I also never see the feed drain out the bottom of the pot either which is also worrying. Can you guys please let me know what's goi g wrong or to proceed whether I should transport plants in autopot system sooner rather than later.

just need to whether I should be worried or if everything's going fine. Appreciate all feedback. Thanks

To git run off you just need to water/feed more until it runs out the bottom of the pot.
    I wouldn't stress- the roots will eventually get there. I keep my clones & seedlings in 3.5inch nursery pots for about a month & they aren't always rootbound when I pull em out. It'll take a little longer in a litre pot.
    They look happy n healthy.... red stems CAN tell of a deficiency but without other symptoms I wouldn't stress- some strains just have red stems. Black Cherry Punch for one.

Comment

• Brinno
      Brinno commented
      Editing a comment
      JDU Thanks man, you have put my mind at rest!

Seems to me you have set your self up for something you have not ever done before with so many plants? Have you ever grown so many at a time?
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Brinno
      Brinno commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my first official grow, I don't think quantity of plants make a huge difference if you follow the rules. Thanks

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Quantity will definitely become an issue when they grow too big to maneuver them & yourself in the tent lol.

What are they growing in? It looks kind of heavy with little or no perlite? Clones like nice light soil so it's easy to make roots. Otherwise your plants look fine. If they've been progressing well for the last 3 weeks, you could begin topping/training if that's your plan. I agree with budgal, that's a lot of babies to tend!

Comment

• Brinno
      Brinno commented
      Editing a comment
      They are growing in a hydro coco mix in 1 litre pots, they have been progressing in all fairness, every week new sets of fans leave appear so yeah may just start training them from when they are young..

Any idea on how I can start thickening the stem and arms from now?

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the same thing F10werChyld but it does look like there's used perlite or pumice in there.
      Time will thicken the stems Brinno

Gives me anxiety just looking at that many, but I would foster one or two for ya!

Comment

They're gonna need more light, lots more light. Start training and topping them now. move to larger pots soon.

Comment

• Brinno
        Brinno commented
        Editing a comment
        They are going under 600watters soon just waiting for the root to show under the pots, should I have the fan blowing a lot faster to help strengthen and thicken the stems and arms?

I've got 3 wedding cakes in the oven so to speak. They were given to me in little clone cubes and they have been reticent to take off. One seems to be doing better than the other two and I just staked it today to see if I could get it to grow a little more vigorously. I've had them for about a month. I had to harden them off initially because they came to me after being on a 18/6 light cycle. I grow outdoors and the adjustment may have stunted them somewhat. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out. Keep us posted. P.S. Having a fan going is always a good idea.

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        Must be a popular strain- I have a Wedding Cake too. Just topped & cloned her. I hear I'm gonna love her!

I know what you mean. It's them damn cubes slowin em down.... I'm tellin y'all- they might help a clone stand up but they HINDER root developmemt!!! I clip them open with pruning shears when a plant comes to me in one.

• Brinno
        Brinno commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I definitely think that could be the problem that can seriously shock plants some adjust quicker to new environments than others JDU wedding cake gang! Lol it took me a while to procure these so I'm going all out!

Brinno Topping and training early on will keep em short stout, and happy. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1974.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	425511Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1943.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	425509Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	425510

Comment

• Brinno
        Brinno commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info, they look really nice. Can I ask you where can I get some detailed info or videos of how to top plants - I'm new to this and it looks complicated I just can't get my head round it lol

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        It's pretty easy. You can grow it up an extra node so you can see what you're doin if you want. I let mine go enough to clone the top when I take it. Makes it REAL easy to see where to cut lol. Lots of vids on Utube & GWE.com has a step by step pic tutorial.
        Last edited by JDU; 07-08-2020, 12:21 PM.

JDU meaning grow weed easy no videos though, thanks anyway man

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        No vids on GWE but Utube is full of them

• PRIMO
        PRIMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude, go to the top of the page and click on growing basics and start reading.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X