Homemade Nutrients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Nutrients

Do any of you make your own nutrient supplements? I have been for a few years now and would be interested in other people's experience, ideas, and processes. I started today on my bloom recipe that I have been tweeking over the years for high potassium and phosphorus tea. It's an extremely simple and thus far effective addition to my soil when my plants begin to flower. I dice up bananas, avocado, mushrooms, potatoes, asparagus, ground eggshell, blackstrap molasses, and a bit of Epsom salts (and usually kelp powder but it turns out I didn't have any at the moment) and put them into a gallon container of warm water and let it steep for a week or so in the fridge. A couple days before I'm going to start applying I take it out of the fridge and get it back to ambient temperature and add some worm castings and a bit of probiotic yogurt and let it develop for a day or two. I strain it off into another container and will add 1/2 to 3/4 cup to a gallon of water and simply water feed. A week or two before harvest I will bump it up a bit with more molasses. Thus far it has been a gentle way to add flowering nutrients to my grow. I would love to hear what others are doing so please chime in with your insights. Thanks

I make my own flowering nutrient but I use salts just like hydro nutrients.

Comment

I don't think I want to smell that, Bunny. :P

Comment

• crucialbunny
        crucialbunny commented
        Editing a comment
        Then you should get a whiff of my veg fish emulsion AccidentalGardener.

I am curious crucialbunny , have you ever had that mix analyzed for nutrient levels? I am guessing you developed it from experience watching your plants responses and maybe by estimates of how much and what kind of nutrients were in each of the things you put in the mix? Would like to hear how you got to this list and quantities of ingredients and aging time.

Comment

• crucialbunny
        crucialbunny commented
        Editing a comment
        I pretty much wing it according to what's on hand that is high in potassium and/or phosphorus for flower growth. It's a fairly mild tea and I dilute it considerably with water when I feed. I then use the dregs to feed to my "flower" worm compost bin. I have a bin for high nitrogen and another for high potassium food scraps. I dress the top soil with the castings. I will always feed only one or two plants and wait a day or two and make sure the mixture isn't going to be too hot with nutrients. I do it this way because the living organisms that develop are not in most commercial nutrient supplements. I have found that these beneficial bacteria are keeping my soil really PH balanced. I haven't had to adjust PH this entire season. I have also found I just don't have the same problems with pests of fungus since I started doing this. No chemistry lab science, just simple healthy seat of the pants backyard growing.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X