Automated Watering for Soil Grows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated Watering for Soil Grows

Hey All, GWE has been a great resource for me. . . now that there's a forum, i thought I'd give something back.

This is tools and parts for a ~30 gallon automated watering system for a soil grow. I am going out of town for a week and don't have any plant sitters available. If you have a water source in your grow, i would do this a little differently (eliminate the pump and set the filter/pressure reducer straight off the pressurized water line--assuming no pH adjustment is necessary)

The concept - to automate watering over a 7+ day period using a 7 day timer, applying approx 2 gallons of pH adjusted water per hour. With a two hour run time, I should be able to get two cycles in while I'm out of town.

The setup - From the tank - pump hooked to 1/2" supply line and then to the 1/2" barb on the drip filter housing. Attached to the filter housing on the downstream side is a pressure regulator set to 10 psi (i think these dripper stakes will take up to 45, farmtek has a sheet). After the pressure regulator is a 1/2" barb fitting and another run of 1/2" tubing next to the plants. Using the 3mm punch, spaghetti lines are fed directly into the supply line and a dripper stake is attached at the other end. Cut your spaghetti lines at an angle on the side that goes into the supply. Once all of your plants have a line and stake, flush the system. Then attach the end plug and clamp it. Hose clamps are used on pump connection, both ends of the filter/pressure regulator assembly, and at the end of the line.

You can get the fancy spagetti line manifolds that farmtek sells, but they are unnecessary. Using different drippers would be appropriate if you want a different application rate (starts at .5 g/hour and goes to 4 g/hour).

PARTS LIST

Sourced Locally or On Hand (lowes)
    1/8" Polyethylene Drip Tubing (spaghetti line .125 ID)
    1/2" Polyethylene Tubing (supply line - THIN WALL)
    1 1/2" barb Plug
    1 1/2" barb -> 3/4 MPT fitting
    1 1/2" barb -> 1/2" MPT
    1 1/2" MPT -> 3/4" slip pvc bushing
    1 3/4" slip -> 3/4" FPT pvc fitting
    4 1/2" capable hose clamps
    30 gallon hard sided tote

From Amazon.com

EcoPlus 728310 Eco 396 Submersible Pump, 396GPH

[COLOR=#B12704 !important]$22.50[/COLOR]

Enover 7-day Programmable Plug-in Digital Timer Switch with 3-prong Outlet for Lights and Appliances, 15A/1800W

[COLOR=#B12704 !important]$15.99[/COLOR]

From Farmtek.com
    Angled Arrow Dripper Stake - 6-3/8"L
    30 EA $0.25 $7.50
    3MM Punch
    1 EA $19.95 $19.95
    WF1020
    3/4" Y-Filter With Flush Valve With Poly Screen
    1 EA $18.95 $18.95
    Preset Pressure Regulator 3/4" FPT Inlet x 3/4" FPT Outlet - 10 PSI
    1 EA $13.35 $13.35

Hi suttre,
    I'm a hydro grower, but that is impressive. Do you have a plan for automating the nutrients and/or supplements into the system?
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

suttre , wow!!!! Love this system !! I had a similar system set up for my outdoor grow but was gravity fed. Never thought about using something like this indoors. VERY cool.
      Organic only soil grower
      Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
      Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

That's great, when the canopy is large and its hard to water, or the tent is crowded, this is a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DW2 View Post
          Hi suttre,
          I'm a hydro grower, but that is impressive. Do you have a plan for automating the nutrients and/or supplements into the system?
          I don't. My system is organic super soil. . . so I occasionally add whatnots to the soil, but not regularly. You could do it pretty easily with the reservoir.

Comment

Thank you for sharing Suttre! Information like this is what makes GWE the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Canyon Grower View Post
              suttre , wow!!!! Love this system !! I had a similar system set up for my outdoor grow but was gravity fed. Never thought about using something like this indoors. VERY cool.
              Did you do a rainwater catch outdoors? Do you have any comparison, anecdotal or not, between house water and rainwater?

I do outdoor in the summer and would like to give it a try, but haven't made anything happen. My well water runs from 6.5 to 8.5 pH, with a fair amount of calcium and magnesium in it. I don't pH adjust outdoor water. . . just pipe it in with drip tape. Yields were good this past year (1st year), but I'm moving to a greenhouse environment and wonder whether that hard water is going to build up over several years and cause problems. Guess I could just dig a big hole and backfill with supersoil if it does. But better not to screw up the native soil.

Comment

suttre I am an organic soil grower. No nasties ever touch my plants. Not a criticism of our hydro brethren. Its all good. And they grow some really nice stuff.
                ​​​​​​​As to your question. My water comes out of an irrigation ditch which taps summer snow melt, so am pretty sure its more or less sparkling. Our well water is quite hard however and my indoor grows get it right out of the tap. I havent noticed any issues, but then this is use once and throw away soil. I suppose after many years of use you could have mineral build up, but then wouldnt you be turning it over and amending it on a regular basis? If so, I wouldnt worry. Glad to have another soil grower here. Good luck and again, kudos to your diy wizardry !!!!
                Organic only soil grower
                Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
                Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

I'll go google around to try to find a description of the pressure regulator- which I'm assuming is what you're using as a manifold to split into more than one line? I can't really make sense of your picture -the third one over, which I think is meant to show this?

I set up my system like this -

Res with electric pump on a timer
                  -to 3/4" pipe which runs from the res to the center of the grow
                  - to a manifold system with eight 1/4" lines.

I don't bother putting in any dripper/emitter type gadgets on the ends- too much risk of failure. So I just leave the lines open and set timer for however many minutes needed to dispense X gallons of water- every few days.
                  That's for vacations.
                  I also have a similar permanent setup for the DTW part of my grow. That one has nutes in the res, and a bubbler to help keep the ph stable.

Comment

• Canyon Grower
                    Canyon Grower commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Any pictures Weasel ? Sounds like a great system !

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  I'll go google around to try to find a description of the pressure regulator- which I'm assuming is what you're using as a manifold to split into more than one line? I can't really make sense of your picture -the third one over, which I think is meant to show this?
                  I didn't split it. This is feeding 12 plants, so I just ran one supply line off of the regulator.

Comment

• Weasel
                    Weasel commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well you must have split the line to feed 12 plants , in 12 pots.
                    I think I get it now though - you tapped directly into the main line where it meets each plant- with the 1/8 line used to split the flow into the pots.

Great idea! I have been holding off on next grow because of planned trip to Florida next week and other get aways always evolve around grow, due to watering issues. Have left babies alone for 4 or five days without serious effects but they are the last thing I check before leaving and the first when I return!!!
                  DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
                  315 LEC
                  6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
                  6" Carbon filter
                  3- 6" fans
                  humidifier
                  temp and humidity gauge
                  5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
                  FF trio nutrients

Comment

I'm looking to set up a self watering system for an upcoming get away. I shut everything down last year when I was away a week and it set me pretty far back. I use super soil in 3 gallon smart pots, was looking at the "Blue Mat Carrots/sensors" gravity fed watering system. Their products seem relatively inexpensive, decent quality and it they function as advertised, their sensors/carrots only suppy soil with water when it's dry thru a drip line, which eliminates the need for pumps (gravity fed) and timers (sensors). Has anyone seen or used a BluMat self watering system?

Comment

DnkTnk thanks for this. i am interested to see if others have any thoughts on the BluMat
                      "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Man I love to find those old threads just when you need them! Any chance there'd be other pictures of the system? It sounds really efficient.
                        x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X